PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

butterfly sue
08-28-2007, 06:25 PM
I received in the mail the questionnaire you receive before you may go for jury duty. Where do we serve jury duty here?

bargee
08-28-2007, 06:45 PM
In Sumter you will serve in Bushnell,in Marion I suspect it will be Ocala

zcaveman
08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Correct. Marion county is Ocala. I did mine a few months ago.

Taltarzac
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I received in the mail the questionnaire you receive before you may go for jury duty. Where do we serve jury duty here?

I suppose this is for a FL court and not for a Federal one?

butterfly sue
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I was going to make a copy of the questionnaire and didn't. The only paper I did save says Federal Grand/Petit Jury Service. It says Ocala Division serves those in Citrus, Lake, Marion and Sumter counties. I have a feeling I will be going to Ocala unless I am wrong. At least I may or may not be called within two years.

Taltarzac
08-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I was going to make a copy of the questionnaire and didn't. The only paper I did save says Federal Grand/Petit Jury Service. It says Ocala Division serves those in Citrus, Lake, Marion and Sumter counties. I have a feeling I will be going to Ocala unless I am wrong. At least I may or may not be called within two years.

I filled one of those out for Federal Jury Service. This was about one to two years ago. I think my questionnaire went to Tampa, but I may be mistaken. This link should get you to that court's web-site -- http://www.flmd.uscourts.gov/

ilvgolf
11-15-2007, 03:53 AM
There is a Federal Court in Ocala. I don't think you would be sent to Tampa - but then again, maybe I am just not "thinking" straight.

butterfly sue
07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I returned the paper the courts sent out in January (to be returned in 5 days). I received a summons for the last week of June. The summons has me reporting to the Ocala division at the Federal Bldg. in Ocala. So here is how it goes:

I requested to be excused until after July 4th due to being out of state on vacation and that was approved. You are "on call" for one month. You are provided with a phone number to call and a participant number. You call in (usually Mondays and Fridays) to check your status as to if you have to report or not. You just follow what the message says to do. So far I haven't had to report.

More information is available at: www.flmd.uscourts.gov

If you are 70 or older, you can express that you do not wish to serve. Jurors are paid $40 a day plus mileage.

Other information available at the website.

graciegirl
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
We are coming down tomorrow, but have to return to Cincinnati before the 11th of next month because my husband, aka Sweetie, has been summoned for Jury duty. Wonder what would happen if we were living in TV for our winter stint.

Sidney Lanier
07-25-2008, 04:06 AM
GG, I don't know how Ohio handles a situation like this, but in NY they are pretty accommodating, as long as you give specific dates when you will be available.

njgranny
07-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Gracie,

My DH got a jury summons while we were in Florida last winter. In NJ, you just tell them
you'll be out of state and they excuse you. You may or may not hear from them again in Jersey.

kyblue
07-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Graciegirl: I did jury duty in Butler County; where you live a few years ago. You should have received a letter with a number to contact the Clerk of Courts. Explain your part time residency in Florida and I am sure they will accmodate you. When I did jury duty they excuse people who had cruise tickets and other people who had confirmed plans for vacation. In fact the only excuse that wasn't accepted was work.

swrinfla
07-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Back up north (St. Louis), it seemed that I could almost count on a Jury Duty summons every three years, like clockwork! I served two-three times (and actually enjoyed it, despite the interminable amount of time doing nothing at all), then was never chosen for a jury panel ever again. I had to assume that the non-selection was due to:

- white (in an Afro-American-oriented city)
- educated (BA)
- articulate (as befits a college grad)
- previous jury service

My late wife was called once in the 40-plus years we lived in the city!

I keep wondering when or if I'll be called here for Sumter County?

SWR