PDA

View Full Version : New Pops Chorus starting in TV

bandsdavis
11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone. When Sue and I moved here, we were impressed with the number of very good choruses singing. We have found that they all have one thing in common: they sing primarily classical or spiritual music, which is wonderful, but not all there is for choral singing. The Village Voices will include a few popular songs in their performances, but not many. So, I decided to try to create a chorus that will specialize in popular music. I have recently been approved to start a "club" called The Villages Pops Chorus. The Pops Chorus will be a venue where people can enjoy singing popular songs in choral settings. Here's an excerpt from an email I sent to a number of people.

"The group will meet weekly at The Bridgeport Recreation Center on Saturdays from 1 PM to 4PM. I will direct, and we will be accompanied by the very talented Jo Ann Hanebrink, who has a wealth of experience. If you are not aware of my background, I have directed choral groups in churches, musicals and other venues for over 30 years. My wife Sue and I performed with a Pops Chorus in Virginia, and it was a lot of fun. It was with that group that I became aware of the vast amount of material available for a group like this. There are choral arrangements of Broadway and Hollywood songs; of the great standards; of the Beatles, Beach Boys, and Motown; and of wonderful pop songs like "The Prayer", "Dream", "Autumn Leaves" and many. many more. The group will not initially have "auditions" but singing experience and the ability to sing your part and have at least the basics of reading or following your part (or being willing to learn to do so!) are important in this type of group.

Our first meeting for the purpose of explaining how we will do things, what we will plan for performances, etc, will be Saturday Dec. 7. We will have additional opportunities to join and plan to start actual rehearsals in January in the hopes that we can prepare an initial performance in late Spring. "

If you are interested, I hope you will come to our first meeting, or contact me directly via PM. Please also pass this along to any of your singing friends. I have had a very strong response to my initial email, and I think we are going to have a great group. There will also be a weekly "blurb" in the Rec News clubs section under "Villages Pops Chorus", or maybe just "Pops Chorus". First one should be in next week. Thanks!

Bill Davis

Thnonne
11-29-2013, 09:51 PM
I am a Village Voices member and am interested in seeing and hearing more...
Gretchen Nonnemacher, gvnonne@gmail.com