PDA

View Full Version : Slowing Down Club Car with High Speed Gears

Canabarrybarb
12-05-2013, 11:34 PM
I understand that the electric Club Car controller can be set to one of 4 codes to give it different maximum speeds. I have the high speed gears installed and the controller set to code 4. The end result is that the cart can exceed the maximum allowed for golf carts by an uncomfortable margin. If I have the code changed down to 2 or 3, will I lose torque as well as speed? I don't want to lose any acceleration or hill climbing performance.

Frank7
12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Club cars electric are shipped from the factory with a controller set at speed code of 3. That speed codae is set for a max speed of approx 14 MPH.
The optional speed code 4 will allow the cart to reach approx 19 MPh
If higher speeds are nessassary for what ever desire or reason the proper method of attaining this higher speed is to change the motor and not change gears. Changing gears will eventually reach higher speed but will sacrifice climbing the smallest hill.
The carts gearing is set at 12-1 ratio and should be kept there for optimum use
Especially in The villages for our type of use.

Canabarrybarb
12-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately, mine came with the high speed gears already installed and the controller set to code 4. It goes much too fast, and I would like to slow it down without the expense of changing out the gears.
My question is about the impact of changing to code 2 or 3. This should reduce the maximum achievable speed but will it also reduce torque and therefore reduce hill-climbing capability at the same time?

Frank7
12-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Speed code 3 will bring your cart down around 20 MPH with the gears you seam to have.
You seam to have 8:1 gears and when your code is set you will be able to see the difference
And make your choice with a test drive. Also as long as the speed codes are posted on your
Cart, you may also log in install 4 again. In order to be able to do this you must look for a tape with thee sets of numbers which we set in a programer and most likely under the dash.

gustavo
12-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Speed code 3 will bring your cart down around 20 MPH with the gears you seam to have.
You seam to have 8:1 gears and when your code is set you will be able to see the difference
And make your choice with a test drive. Also as long as the speed codes are posted on your
Cart, you may also log in install 4 again. In order to be able to do this you must look for a tape with thee sets of numbers which we set in a programer and most likely under the dash.

Frank, what kind (manufacturer/make/model) of controller has these 1-4 speed settings. I'm familiar with Curtis controllers for my cart and they just set a max speed in engineering units, i.e. mph. Thanks,

Frank7
12-06-2013, 10:52 PM
The Curtis I Q controllers for Club Car have the speed coad settings in single diget numbers.
Factory code 3 is 14-15 MPH code 4 is 19.7.