55+ Communities that go under

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
There is no question who will be paying.
We, the residents, will be the ones paying, as we have been up until this point.

Yes, it is we who are footing the bill, even though the IRS bond issue is with Morse, not us.
Thus far, the attorney fees are somewhere around one million.
Morse has not paid one cent.
The money has come out of our amenity fee.

Like it or not, we have no say in this matter.
Just curious where you got this information.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM

Thank you for the responses.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
we have a home in the plantations of leesburg, lake county...

The plantations has almost the same ammenities of the villages, just not the population...
I believe there are several retirement communities along Hwy 27 south of Leesburg leading into Clermont. I like the area and we've visited Clermont many times to see the Lakeridge Winery and shop at the stores at the JC Penney shopping center. I was wondering, in that shopping center is that the closest movie theater to your community? Does the Plantations have an organized softball league year round? Do you have bowling alleys nearby?

When people start to compare one community to another, they always list golf, I take usually take that for granted. It's the other amenities and conveniences that make a difference for me. How about hospitals or in my case, the VA Clinic? How far for grocery shopping, restaurants, etc? It seems most everything necessary for day-to-day living is not near the Plantations but ten miles away in Clermont or Leesburg.

Looking at the Plantations website it's obvious you get more home for the money, but that is true in most places outside TV. Here's one home I just pulled off their website, it's a masonry 3 BR/2Ba built in 1996 and listed for $189,900. That seems like a great deal, but there is a reason, maybe it's because of lack of nearness to what we all need.

The Villages Florida
Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I believe there are several retirement communities along Hwy 27 south of Leesburg leading into Clermont. I like the area and we've visited Clermont many times to see the Lakeridge Winery and shop at the stores at the JC Penney shopping center. I was wondering, in that shopping center is that the closest movie theater to your community? Does the Plantations have an organized softball league year round? Do you have bowling alleys nearby?

When people start to compare one community to another, they always list golf, I take usually take that for granted. It's the other amenities and conveniences that make a difference for me. How about hospitals or in my case, the VA Clinic? How far for grocery shopping, restaurants, etc? It seems most everything necessary for day-to-day living is not near the Plantations but ten miles away in Clermont or Leesburg.

Looking at the Plantations website it's obvious you get more home for the money, but that is true in most places outside TV. Here's one home I just pulled off their website, it's a masonry 3 BR/2Ba built in 1996 and listed for $189,900. That seems like a great deal, but there is a reason, maybe it's because of lack of nearness to what we all need.

The Villages Florida
Dear John,
Happy to answer your questions. As some here know, I live in The Plantation and am in The Villages everyday doing Inspections. My wife thinks I actually spend more time in The Villages working then home not working. She may be right.

I love The Villages and have met some wonderful folks here. When we moved to Florida I did not know about The Villages, and bought here. I do like it here in The Plantation. As with every 55+ community including The Villages, there are pros and cons with each one. At least we can all agree that our taxes and cost of living expenses are low, (compared to up North) and we do not shovel snow anymore.

Just two miles north of The Plantation is South Leesburg. There are at least 5 banks there, a Winn-Dixie and a Publix, a least 6 restaurants, McDonalds, a great ACE hardware, Advantage Auto, etc. There are various strip malls on both sides of 27 that are closer then going up to Leesburg itself.

The closest Movie theater to us is Brownwood. Clermont is 15 miles south. We actually go to church there and go to BJ's, etc there. Clermont is very nice, and although it is farther then Leesburg or The Villages, there is NO traffic, so the trip seems fast and scenic.

Living here I find I do not go to Leesburg often, but will go to South Leesburg, Clermont or The Villages. I drive to The Villages every working day, and can be in Brownwood in under 15 minutes. Nearest bowling alley is in Leesburg I think...(have not bowled since living here). The Plantation does have a very active softball league as well as many other activities, plays, dances, etc.

The two 18 hole golf courses we have are nice and not tiny. They currently have a 4 year program re-doing all of the greens. The Plantation is farther away from Ocala, and closer to Orlando, the Turnpike, Disney, etc.

Like I said, there are pros and cons about every community and slight differences in each one. Nothing else is The Villages and it would be foolish to say otherwise. That being said, people are also buying in these other communities for various reasons, so there is something to like in each one.

My purpose in posting here was not to try to "sell" anyplace or try to say anyplace is better than anyplace else...just simply trying to answer your questions because I am in both places everyday.

Respectfully, Frank
Old 10-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

GracieGirl wrote: "Whoops. I promised myself I would stay off this forum".

Why?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Platinum member

Ideal Active Adult Communities | 55 Places
Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
OH STOP.
That is simply not correct.

The lawsuit is challenging whether a CDD can issue Tax free municipal bonds. We are not the only CDD form of government in Florida but we are by far the most successful. Possibly the most successful way of running a town our size in the world.

The attorney fees are protecting the matter of the CDD form of management, which is what makes this place so special and so well run and not ordinary. In essence it is keeping the place like it is, but some of the outside interests and Morse bashers don't like that.

PLEASE see how much better it is than if it were run like a HOA. Someone would have spent our money for a big performance center that could not sustain itself and cut back on the flowers and the trimming. Someone would decide it would be cheaper to paint all of the rec centers the color of their favorite sports team.

Something like the POA would be suing the developer at every whip stitch and the pools would be overtaken by aliens and the chairs would be inhabited by the urban poor from Orlando.

Gracie -- I am speaking about the attorney fees which are being paid out to Perry Israel and a few other attorneys for the sheer purpose of responding to the IRS regarding the bond issue. We are not speaking about the CDD form of government here. I am specifically referring to the IRS and the tax-free bond issue; I am not referring to anything else. These attorneys are not protecting us; they are hoping to protect Mr. Morse. The bond issue is with Mr. Morse, not the residents, but the residents are paying his bills. If this was for our benefit as residents, not only would this not have gone on for so many years, but frankly -- WE would not be footing the bill.

I don't know how many HOAs you have lived in, but I can tell you that having lived in a number of them and having been involved with them during my 30-year real estate career, I will tell you that most of them are run very well. Most residents care greatly regarding how their money is spent, whether they are self-governing or when their development is handled by a management company. In the case of management companies, the board of directors still has control over them and the final say.

I truly think you are jumping to conclusions regarding a big performance center, paint all rec centers the same, etc., etc., etc. Most of what you have mentioned have nothing to do with the IRS/bond issue whatsoever.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Just curious where you got this information.
I really don't want to spend a great deal of time doing research for your query.

Although this is older news, you might want to refer to the October 10, 2013 issue of the other online newspaper type periodical of the Villages, which will give you some of the information you asked about. TOTV will not permit me to write out their site, unfortunately; they will remove it.

You might want to do more research to see how much the current spent amount is up to.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I really don't want to spend a great deal of time doing research for your query.

Although this is older news, you might want to refer to the October 10, 2013 issue of the other online newspaper type periodical of the Villages, which will give you some of the information you asked about. TOTV will not permit me to write out their site, unfortunately; they will remove it.

You might want to do more research to see how much the current spent amount is up to.
Thanks so much. I rarely look at that other site. I'll check it out.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Bonanza, my point is that those attorney fees are keeping this in limbo and making it continue as a CDD.

I love the way this place is run. I have no reason to not trust the developers. It is my opinion that the law suit that was brought by that HOA was unnecessary and really screwed things up for the people on the "other" side of 466. I was here "THEN" and saw NO evidence of things that needed to be changed or repaired and no reason to sue the Morses. The developer does not appear to need his feet held to the fire to continue to add new and wonderful things. Yes I have been the observer of several HOA's over time and they have often made dumb decisions. Unqualified and self important people used them for their bully pulpits and did not run them for the "greater good".

Let's agree to disagree.

I think that the homeowner's association that you like so much is simply against the developer mostly because of politics. I would think differently if they held elections and allowed other people to be the head of it. Correct me if I am wrong. In the history of that organization there have only been TWO presidents.

I do not want to be involved with any HOA. I have no desire to captain any ship or direct anything. I just like to type.

I like how things are run here. I think this place is as perfect as it gets.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.