commissions

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Default commissions

looking to sell villa this spring. looking to list/negotiate with a realtor who will except a flat 4% commission.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

If your 4% approach fails, there are many firms that rebate a portion of the commission back to you. Usually these rebate arrangements are through an affinity group like a credit union. This will not result in a four percent commission. However, you end up with .5% back of so.

Watch this thread for those who will defend Real estate agents as worth the six percent commission.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2no View Post
looking to sell villa this spring. looking to list/negotiate with a realtor who will except a flat 4% commission.
Good Luck with that!!!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Good luck with that
Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

The real fact of life is that your house probably won't be shown by any agent if you list at 4% commission!
4% commission means that 2% will go to the selling agent and 2% would go to the listing agent.
There is no Realtor that would take your listing based on the 4% you want to pay.
Don't forget -- listing and selling properties is how an agent earns a living.

You will be better off doing your own market analysis, doing your own open houses, paying for ads in the newspaper, paying for an attorney to write up your contract, write your title insurance, etc.
If you think Realtors just sit in their office with their hand out and the commissions just flow through their fingers, you are sadly mistaken.
How did you come up with this 4%, anyway???
Old 02-10-2018, 11:44 AM

have found 2 realtors one @ 5% and one @ 4%.

no fear of realtors not showing the property as most buyers browse listings on their own and tell the realtors what they want to see. it's our $$ not the realtors. this debate will always be ongoing
Old 02-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

Many people here have sold their homes without a realtor (FSBO). Sounds like that may be the way for you to go, if you haven't already considered it.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
The real fact of life is that your house probably won't be shown by any agent if you list at 4% commission!
4% commission means that 2% will go to the selling agent and 2% would go to the listing agent.
There is no Realtor that would take your listing based on the 4% you want to pay.
Don't forget -- listing and selling properties is how an agent earns a living.

You will be better off doing your own market analysis, doing your own open houses, paying for ads in the newspaper, paying for an attorney to write up your contract, write your title insurance, etc.
If you think Realtors just sit in their office with their hand out and the commissions just flow through their fingers, you are sadly mistaken.
How did you come up with this 4%, anyway???
I lived in Montgomery County Md in 1978(Wash DC suburb) A large number of realtors were convicted of a felony (agreement in restraint of trade) because they discussed together what they would charge as commissions etc. at a Realtors assn meeting.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I don't mine paying the 5% if I get my money worth out of my property. But, what I don't like is them telling me I need to spend 25k to make 10k. Then, they bring in bid way under asking price. For those I say don't waste my time or yours. Besides most buyer's redo the home to they're liking anyway.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2no View Post
have found 2 realtors one @ 5% and one @ 4%.

no fear of realtors not showing the property as most buyers browse listings on their own and tell the realtors what they want to see. it's our $$ not the realtors. this debate will always be ongoing
I arrived here with a list of homes that I was interested in. After seeing them all, I was interested in one but someone had made an offer on it and I didn't want to get into a bidding war. My agent then said, "Let me show you one more that just went on the market." I took one look and that was the house for me. I made a lowball offer and it was accepted. My agent also knew that the owner was desperate to sell. If I had tried to come here and buy myself without an agent, I would never have gotten that house.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
commission, realtor, flat, villa, sell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.