FL is passing a law about local gov't controlling how you can rent your homes

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 PM

The Villages is not a "retirement" community; it is an "over 55" community. Many of our fellow Villagers are not retired and are still working -some full time and some part-time. Some within The Villages, some in surrounding cities.
We have had neighbors who worked in their business in the winter from their Village home and then returned north to work in their other home in the other seasons.
So really the rent/no rent has nothing to do with anyone's choice of where they wanted to retire. The key is we all wanted to live where the preponderance of residents are all over a certain age.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Sage

The majority of renters are OK. A few are "bad apples". I think a minimum 90 day rental would be appropriate. If that discouraged anyone from buying a home, just step aside. There are plenty of others looking for a retirement home.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The majority of renters are OK. A few are "bad apples". I think a minimum 90 day rental would be appropriate. If that discouraged anyone from buying a home, just step aside. There are plenty of others looking for a retirement home.
If you limit 3 months ..most Canadian renters would go elsewhere and I love my Canadian neighbors
Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
If you limit 3 months ..most Canadian renters would go elsewhere and I love my Canadian neighbors
I think the poster means no less than 3 months, which is 3 months or more. That would pretty much eliminate the "vacationers" who come for a vacation with no intention of ever buying and have no ties to here.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Most Condo Association (especially in resort areas) have deed restrictions regarding rentals. The main reason is to keep units from being turned into motels.

Many allow only 3 month or longer rentals---for some the minimum is one month. I completely understand why you want such restrictions. Frankly, I was surprised that no such restrictions on daily or weekly rentals were not in the TV deed restrictions.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Hi
I am renting for the winter and all I do is run to open houses desperate to find a house to buy and there are zillions of us who come see and just know that "this is the place"

Without us "zillions" buying and bidding up prices there would be no "villages" and no appreciation on the price of a home. So welcome the renters I say :-)

RE
Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
We invested our life savings this year in buying a home in a new "single family neighborhood" in TV. Then, later we discovered we were surrounded on all three sides with For Rent signs. This is why we need some new housing regulations. This was sold to us as a retirement community not an investment opportunity. :-(
Thankfully, that has not happened to us, but I agree with you. I wish there was a minimum time for renters. If people wanted to view the villages as a possible new home, there are the Lifestyle stays. I have heard a lot of people refer to The Villages as almost a timeshare property because of all the renters. If people are only here for a short time, they are not necessarily vested in keeping this place looking as perfect as it looks, and aren't able to keep up with changes, not to mention understanding the traffic circles-a lot of the full timers have trouble with this too. It is easy to think " I don't care about that, I don't live here". And BTW, I am not saying that I dislike the renters or the snowbirds, or even that I love all the full timers. A few of my favorite people are Canadians. But in general, I would rather have full time owners here. Just my opinion...
Old 02-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

In Key West, they stopped issuing new permits to landlords for weekly rentals five or so years ago. Those permits already out there were allowed to stay, but they would only issue new permits for monthly rentals. The reason was that the weekly rentals were drawing so many people into town that every contractor possible was buying up houses and turning them into rentals. The stock of affordable housing for the people who live and work in Key West went way down, with the housing prices going way up.

I hope they are not planning to reverse that regulation.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 AM

I have even seen nightly rentals posted for The Villages. I don't think that is the image this community wants to project. I'm waiting to see "rooms for rent" signs around here!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
People are the same whether they are on vacation or not. I cannot tell the difference and met a lot of great people on the golf course, some who rent and some who own....no difference. You would have to convince me why it is " not conducive to a retirement community" How do they interfere with you? You lost me.
I must disagree, Rubicon has the correct post. Snow birds are temporary residents, where vacationers are to the most part on a very different journey.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Please bear in mind my comments are not directly aimed at renters but rather the concept of renting in a retirement community. Some say its not a retirement community but an over 55 community. So I redirect and ask why The Villages media department claims "you can live like a millionaire with your retirement savings" It doe not say your occupational salary.

I said in another post the reason I am concerned about this "vacation destination mentality is that it distracts from sound financial planning and objects and needs for our retirement community. Should the Districts act as if they are a staff seeing to the needs of cruise line passengers or residents of a retirement community in which for most residents their last and final resting place?

In my humble view we have a serious communication problem here and it is misdirecting the intent of what was told we were buying into.

The renting process has created a population velocity increasing the demands on our amenities multi-modal paths roads, etc and hence reduces our quality of life. There are a number of people who have purchased homes solely for the purpose of renting them and as one observant poster shared leads to a motel mentality.

I opine you decide
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.