FL is passing a law about local gov't controlling how you can rent your homes

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Default FL is passing a law about local gov't controlling how you can rent your homes

The Florida legislature is discussing a proposed law that will allow local governing authorities the ability to control how long you can rent your property. This law is sponsored mainly by the platinum coast legislators of THE BEACHES.

Why should anyone tell us how long we must rent private property?

Now is the time to stop this foolish law!

I wrote my state representatives! Will you?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post

The Florida legislature is discussing a proposed law that will allow local governing authorities the ability to control how long you can rent your property. This law is sponsored mainly by the platinum coast legislators of THE BEACHES.

Why should anyone tell us how long we must rent private property?

Now is the time to stop this foolish law!

I wrote my state representatives! Will you?
If you could link to the proposed law so people could read it, it would be more helpful. I did a google search and couldn't find what you are referring to. I also went through the Florida Legislature calendar and could not find a house bill or senate bill that applies.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Many developments have a minimum rental clause in their HOA rules that are with the deeds. A homeowner has agreed before purchasing.

But I don't think a law restricting all rentals in a town or state would stand up to judicial review. I mean dopey politicians can pass anything doesn't mean it will standup in the courts but best to keep them from passing the dumb thing in the first place.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

Here is an article that might be what you are describing.

Quote:

The proposed reform of a law that would return control of short-term rental regulations to counties and cities gained additional support at the Legislature Tuesday as it cleared a second Senate committee and its first House committee with solid backing.
Flagler’s Vacation Rental Reform Bill Advances Through 2 Committees, Buoying Chances
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
Here is an article that might be what you are describing.

Flagler’s Vacation Rental Reform Bill Advances Through 2 Committees, Buoying Chances
So it is about returning the power over the issue to the counties. So when and if it passes then you need to keep an eye on Sumter and Lake and Marion counties to make sure they don't pass what you don't want. Rules on the number of renters as a ratio to square footage and even some length of stay requirements probably wouldn't effect people who rent in the villages too much as most rent monthly anyway and the no commercial use rules in the covens make the conversion to hotel like accomedations not viable anyway.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Email Reported As Spam

In my view the description of homes being used like a vacation resort is exactly what is happening here in TV and they call it a retirement community
Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
In my view the description of homes being used like a vacation resort is exactly what is happening here in TV and they call it a retirement community
Way to many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Gold member

Be careful what you wish for! TheSnowbirds keep this place alive and some of them rent as well and without that opportunity, fewer buyers. Snowbirds are attracted because Amenities are controlled by the VCCD. and so they are assured of not being blocked out of enjoying what they paid for by full timers. That and the ability to rent and offset costs. It is a win win.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Be careful what you wish for! TheSnowbirds keep this place alive and some of them rent as well and without that opportunity, fewer buyers. Snowbirds are attracted because Amenities are controlled by the VCCD. and so they are assured of not being blocked out of enjoying what they paid for by full timers. That and the ability to rent and offset costs. It is a win win.
villagerjack: that fact hadn't escaped me. However it doesn't change the fact that a vacation destination isn't conducive to a retirement community

But we adjust
Old 02-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
villagerjack: that fact hadn't escaped me. However it doesn't change the fact that a vacation destination isn't conducive to a retirement community

But we adjust

People are the same whether they are on vacation or not. I cannot tell the difference and met a lot of great people on the golf course, some who rent and some who own....no difference. You would have to convince me why it is " not conducive to a retirement community" How do they interfere with you? You lost me.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 PM

We invested our life savings this year in buying a home in a new "single family neighborhood" in TV. Then, later we discovered we were surrounded on all three sides with For Rent signs. This is why we need some new housing regulations. This was sold to us as a retirement community not an investment opportunity. :-(
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
We invested our life savings this year in buying a home in a new "single family neighborhood" in TV. Then, later we discovered we were surrounded on all three sides with For Rent signs. This is why we need some new housing regulations. This was sold to us as a retirement community not an investment opportunity. :-(
Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
Why does that bother you? Are not there other folks on your street? You bought a home and so did the people who rent. They have the same rights as you do and perhaps they bought because it was a good investment opportunity. The fact that people are able to rent increases the buyer pool, particularly the snowbird buyer pool and without the snowbirds this would not be nearly as successful as it is.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Gold member

I know of a retirement community in another state with 3 month rental requirements. attracts few snowbirds. They started building in 1995 and by most accounts it is successful and a great place to live. Well managed. However, they still did not sell out the total of just 8,200 homes. About 900 to go. Selling about 100 new homes a year. Values declined after 2007 and still have not picked up . Home on a golf course is about $130-150 sf. Same home here about $200-250 sf. This is not in the middle of nowhere. It is about 12 miles from Hilton Head Island and 20 miles from Savannah, Ga.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Why does that bother you? Are not there other folks on your street? You bought a home and so did the people who rent. They have the same rights as you do and perhaps they bought because it was a good investment opportunity. The fact that people are able to rent increases the buyer pool, particularly the snowbird buyer pool and without the snowbirds this would not be nearly as successful as it is.
Would probably bother me since I would constantly have 'neighbors' I could never get to know...'cause by the time I might - their lease would be up and new 'neighbors' would arrive.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.