Florida Residency

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2021, 05:31 AM
Smile Florida Residency

Has anyone changed residency from Minnesota to Florida and kept homes in both places? If so, any advice on what needs to be done to avoid audits?
Old 04-28-2021, 05:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Nonresidents
You’re considered a nonresident of Minnesota if you meet both of the following conditions:
a) You’re a permanent resident of another state or country.
b) You’ve spent less than 183 days in Minnesota
If you are a nonresident you may still need to file a Minnesota tax return.

Nonresidents | Minnesota Department of Revenue
Old 04-28-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenick View Post
Has anyone changed residency from Minnesota to Florida and kept homes in both places? If so, any advice on what needs to be done to avoid audits?

Minnesota may be different...but here's what I'll share from our experience

As long as you have a Florida drivers license (and you can only have a driver's license in one state now), and you have registered to vote in Florida (and we all know that you can only vote in one state)...and you register a vehicle in Florida, you should be fine

two years in a row we were challenged by our previous state when we didn't file a state tax return....we provided pictures of our driver's licenses, voting record, utility bills which were sufficient both times for them to shut up

What our attorney told us is that there are no requirements to be in any one location for more than half the year in the USA to determine legal residency in any state...that that's an urban myth

legal residency is where you declare your legal residency to be. I believe that there is a form on the Florida state website somewhere for just that purpose

I'd also recommend that you 'homestead' in Florida

good luck
Old 04-28-2021, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,028 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenick View Post
Some suggestions, regardless of what state you are changing residency from:

Document that you spend more than 1/2 of your time in Florida. Be careful of ways you can be tracked to prove otherwise, such as cell phone or automobile gps with location tracking, and credit card statements.

If you are not on Medicare yet, get your health insurance in Florida. Get a primary care doctor in Florida.

Register to Vote in Florida.

Get a Florida drivers license and register a car there.

Have your mail sent to Florida.

Apply for the Florida resident homeowners homestead exemption. If you currently have some type of homestead designation in Minnesota, cancel it.

Stop filling a state income tax return in Minnesota.

Hope this helps, good luck : )
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, residency, avoid, advice, places

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.