manufactured homes

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Default manufactured homes

I would like to know what it is like to live in a manufactured home in the villages. I lived in a trailer for a few months when I was in college back in the 70s. Maybe things have changed since then but I found that the walls were really thin and that you could feel the vibrations when people walked in the other rooms.
Are manufactured homes harder to cool and to heat? How safe are they in storms. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Default Questions of manufactured homes

I'm a little confused about "the historical district". Is it everything bit as nice as the rest of the Villages? We are looking to buy, but own a home in Ohio and want to spend our summers up North. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg to buy in TV, so we were looking at Silver Lake and Orange Blossum area...We want a home w/2 bed. 2/bath and no junkie neighbors. Is this possible in the "lower priced" areas? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, do all home owners get to enjoy all the aminities of TV, no matter where you live in the villages?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgelady View Post
I'm a little confused about "the historical district". Is it everything bit as nice as the rest of the Villages? We are looking to buy, but own a home in Ohio and want to spend our summers up North. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg to buy in TV, so we were looking at Silver Lake and Orange Blossum area...We want a home w/2 bed. 2/bath and no junkie neighbors. Is this possible in the "lower priced" areas? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, do all home owners get to enjoy all the aminities of TV, no matter where you live in the villages?
What is known as the "historical side" is north of 441/27 in The Villages. It was the first development that Mr. Schwartz did back in the day. There is a link somewhere here on TOTV re: that history. Anyway most of the homes are "manufactured" but some have been replaced with "regular-built homes". The folks there pay their amenity fees just like everyone else so have that privilege to use the club-houses, golf-courses, pools, join the clubs etc. It's a bit quieter up there and most of the streets/neighborhoods are well kept. Depends where you buy I would say.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
You might be best advised to keep your search to those neighborhoods south of 441/27. We 'junkie neighbors' who live in 'the lower priced' areas of the historic side would not want to potentially put a crimp in your style.

Be advised, however, that we do visit the villages amenities, town squares, stores, restaurants, park areas, dog parks, doctors, medical facilities, etc. But most of that visitation probably takes place after we receive our social security checks around the first of the month.

Good luck in your search for a neighborhood that meets your hopes and expectations.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Smile Manufactured homes

Sorry if I offened anyone, but we have never been to historical side. We have no idea what it is like. We have looked several other places in Fl and have seen many that are unkept and look deserted. No offense to manufactured homes. We want to purchase one just like everyone else. Just wanted to know. Sorry Have wonderful Day!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM

We live south of 466 that people call the newer section. I have been to the historic side many times and I think it is beautiful. The landscaping is mature and I have seen many beautiful homes there. I took offense to the way the question was put and I do not live in the historic section.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Sorry if I offened anyone, but we have never been to historical side. We have no idea what it is like. We have looked several other places in Fl and have seen many that are unkept and look deserted. No offense to manufactured homes. We want to purchase one just like everyone else. Just wanted to know. Sorry Have wonderful Day!
Welcome to TOTV. You are forgiven as you were asking a question based on what you had seen in other areas of Florida. I took no offense to your question
On your next visit to TV, I suggest you visit all the areas. This will help in your decision as to what and where you want to purchase.
Look on the list of homes for sale. You will be able to see how really nice many of the homes are on our "historical side" and how well kept they are.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default The Historic side

We do not live in the historic side. I have been there a lot. The lots are much bigger and the landscaping is more mature. It is a pretty area My cousin bought a manufactured home at Water Oak and it is really nice. I think it is important to say that the manufactured home are not what I think of as trailers. I think they are called manufactured because they are manufactured elsewhere and moved in in total.
I do know that whenever we go through there the recreation areas are always in use, more so maybe than the ones down here are.
I have moved here permanently from Ohio and I am very sorry that we have no where to return to except for visits. Leaving all your friends and family is a big decision.
I hope this answers your question and helps you in your decision.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Wink Manufactured homes

thanks for the info. The historical district sounds great for us. We love the idea of mature trees and yards...more like Ohio. I've looked on TV website with homes for sale and there are many that are beautiful and in our price range. We are glad that everyone in TV can enjoy all the amenities. This sounds almost too good to the true. We are coming down in Dec and are looking forward to seeing this area. Thanks for all the help and am looking forward to meeting all of you. FYI it's cold in Ohio and may snow by the first of the week, so be glad you aren't here now. take care:
Old 11-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Default The Historic Side of TV

There are 3 other things that you should know about the "Historic" side of TV. The first, they have the VERY BEST pool in all of the The Villages. The pool at Orange Blossom has a water fall feature and hot tub that you just have to see. Second, the Hilltop executive golf course is probably one of the most senic. And finally, if you've checked into any of the history of The Villages you will know that if it weren't for the historic side there wouldn't have been any Villages. That is where is all started and it is still a very nice area. I suggest you visit one of the open houses that are listed everyday in the Daily Sun.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
thanks for the info. The historical district sounds great for us. We love the idea of mature trees and yards...more like Ohio. I've looked on TV website with homes for sale and there are many that are beautiful and in our price range. We are glad that everyone in TV can enjoy all the amenities. This sounds almost too good to the true. We are coming down in Dec and are looking forward to seeing this area. Thanks for all the help and am looking forward to meeting all of you. FYI it's cold in Ohio and may snow by the first of the week, so be glad you aren't here now. take care:
Two things. Don't limit yourself to the historic side. There are homes all over that may meet your needs and budget, including the historic side.

Second. You have hit on one of the best aspects of this community. There are homes up to and over $1 million, but the amenities are open to all without regard to the house you own wherever it is located. This is not like those communities built with neighborhoods in different price levels where the amenities are restricted to residents in that neighborhood.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
It is so beautiful and well kept everywhere here. There are homes that sell for $70k to well over a million, but it makes no difference to the people who live in them. We are proud of this place and whatever comfortably fits your pocketbook will be the place that is best for you. There are very few show offs here and everyone is very, VERY proud of their home.

Welcome home. I knew what you meant. This is NOT like any place in Florida or any place in the world.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Sage

All of TV is kept in beautiful condition by the developer as far as landscaping and infrastructure. The Historic side has mature lanscaping and they are not trailer homes. They are as safe as any other part of TV. IMHO

You will see when you get down here. For the time being, go to www.thevillages.com and click on "pre-owned" homes. You can look at pre-owned homes or new if you wish. Call the sales office to get a map of TV so you see where your potential new, (to you), home is located.

Plan on going to open houses. You may want to contact a VLS agent as well as a MLS agent to see all of the homes that are available before you arrive

Have a great visit.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

I have a number of friends on the "historic side" and absolutely love that area. There are many times I wish we had looked there first. I have friends also that don't want to put all there retirement money in a home. They intend to buy a manufactured home. Be comfortable and spend their money to travel and have fun, though there are many that can buy very nice homes and still travel an have their fancy cars and all. So we have a huge variety of people here so do what suits your lifestyle and budget and you can't go wrong! Also you may want to know from what I hear taxes on that side are much cheaper than anywhere else in TV's !
Old 11-09-2013, 07:57 PM

I have a home north of 441 and I can tell you.
It will keep you dry when it is raining.
Warm when it is cold and cool when it is HOT.
If you enjoy the villages you wont have much time to spend in the house.
Been there 14 years and had 5 hurcanes and no damage.
Stan
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.