Metal studs used in building homes in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Default Metal studs used in building homes in The Villages

Why do carpenters use metal studs (or wood studs shrouded with metal) in certain rooms of a home? To preserve a straighter edge on longer wall studs? To cut down on costs? This useage plays hell with wireless communications devices.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lleone View Post
Why do carpenters use metal studs (or wood studs shrouded with metal) in certain rooms of a home? To preserve a straighter edge on longer wall studs? To cut down on costs? This useage plays hell with wireless communications devices.
I asked the same question when building. Metal studs are cheaper and can be used only on non-bearing walls. They obviously do not have the strength otherwise. that was the main reason that seemed to be consistent. It was rare to use them in the north. You may hear it is easier to wire through them with the holes there already, they are on garage walls for moisture issues, or even for pest control issues, they are straighter than wood studs for some areas. Plus a few more some were saying. Bottom line.. cheaper. think of the amount of savings over the quantity of houses built and the studs they replace. Adds up!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Our home in Duval is built with all metal studs. I've heard that some builders use them while others use wood. Not sure if it's their option or preference. We've got wifi in the house and have no problems at all.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Not unusual at all to see them in commercial buildings up north.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Sorry, I would agree on commercial buildings too up north. Obviously non-bearing walls inside the structures. But, I have noticed I do have some problems with wi-fi IF I go out on the lanai. the router is in the front of the house. Never thought it could be the metal studs.. hmmm
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog53 View Post
Sorry, I would agree on commercial buildings too up north. Obviously non-bearing walls inside the structures. But, I have noticed I do have some problems with wi-fi IF I go out on the lanai. the router is in the front of the house. Never thought it could be the metal studs.. hmmm
my router is in the front and so is the lanai, have trouble on the lanai also so may not be the metal
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 AM

So interesting question. What causes a poor signal on the lanais? It is like not and day once I walk into the house with the Ipad
Old 08-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My router is in front of house and I have no problem on the lanai which is a considerable distance from the router.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog53 View Post
..... Metal studs are cheaper and can be used only on non-bearing walls. ......
Roaddog's got it.

Bill
Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Platinum member

Metal is also used for the plate on top of the walls. When we had a TV outlet moved, the man had to climb down from the attic to get a metal bit to drill a hole for the new cable.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.