Mortgage or Cash

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Default Mortgage or Cash

Read a article that says that about fifty percent of sales this year nationally were in cash compared to approximately thirty percent last year. Does this hold true in the villages and does a cash buyer have more of a edge? I understand that homes seem to sell faster here than other areas, opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

If I read the same article many of the cash buys nationwide were attributed to entities scooping up residential properties at depressed prices to rent and/or resell.

Probably a large percentage of properties in most 55 and over communities are sold to retirees who are cash buyers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Paying cash worked for us - it definitely motivated the buyer! It might have been a bit less than the buyer wanted/hoped for - but - it was guaranteed and for real - no one between buyer and seller. Took us 3 weeks to have a home inspection and closing!!!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Sage

Cash will benefit you on a resale; however, with a new property I believe the only thing it will accomplish is a quicker closing.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

the only differencebetween cash and mortgage is time....end result for the seller/buyer is the same.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Default It Depends

I know a lot of you will disagree, but I favor a mortgage under the current situation where borrowing money is cheap. If you are making more on your investments than the cost of money, which you should e i today's market, you lose by paying cash.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Smart post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Tom View Post
I know a lot of you will disagree, but I favor a mortgage under the current situation where borrowing money is cheap. If you are making more on your investments than the cost of money, which you should e i today's market, you lose by paying cash.
Tom, IMHO the smartest post regarding cash/mortgage so far on this Thread. Money is still cheap and with interest rates likely to rise in the next few years---mortgage makes sense.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Tom View Post

100% agree with you and why we elected to keep a mortgage. Much further ahead financially at the end of any period one can measure. Three point two (3.2) percent mortgage rate and returns on investment 9% and above dependent on risk.....what was he question?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Eternal Member

To each his own. I preferred no mortgage and invest the rest. Unfortunately, I did not expect the government to bring the interest rate to zip-nada-none.

I am still ahead in peace of mind.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
To each his own. I preferred no mortgage and invest the rest. Unfortunately, I did not expect the government to bring the interest rate to zip-nada-none.

I am still ahead in peace of mind.

Z
I'm with you, Z. As long as one can buy when real estate prices plummeted and became a buyer's market as we did. I can say I have probably earned more on the value of my home/land than I have with my investments since we purchased.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Cash will benefit you on a resale; however, with a new property I believe the only thing it will accomplish is a quicker closing.
cash or mortgage on new home is the same amount of days....the old saying is use OPM when interest is so low
Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum member

the house I sold before moving here was paid off. However, with mortgage rates so low, it made sense to me to take a mortgage for the reasons others mentioned. I put the money in a relatively conservative Vanguard account and watch it carefully. I figure the interest I make can be put for future repairs. As long as I'm ahead, I'll keep the mortgage. Since Sept. already made 4% on that money...mortgage is 3.6%. Of course, it the market starts tanking, I'll pay the mortgage off.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Hope this isn't too far off topic. Curious if anyone kept a mortgage for the tax advantage.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Gant View Post
Cash is NOT king in The Villages. It is one less contingency on the contract, but 99% of buyers are well qualified, and does not represent a real problem. If seller wants quick close , then it is a small advantage, but even with a loan you can close in 30 days.
That is exactly what our salesperson told us when we were looking to buy, we opted for a mortgage instead. Thank you for the responses, it is appreciated.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

I agree with Z. Depends where the money is invested right now, cash makes sense. I lost through stocks more than 50k in one year (year end count).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.