Rental Amenities

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Default Rental Amenities

My wife and I are purchasing a home in Orange Blossom, and while we will be also using it as a vacation spot, we also want to be able to rent it out. What would be a good inventory for a rental property, and should that inventory be adjusted for long term versus short term? I guess, what I'm asking, is should we have serving items or treat it like a lake cabin, expecting the tenants to provide eating utensils etc...? Also, what is the best path to go when offering amenity passes for the tenants?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I have been know to frustrate when renting houses and 'cabins' in the past. For the rental rate that is charged I expect there to be the same conveniences in my rental as in my home. There doesn't have to be a kitchenaid mixer - but at least a 3-speed hand mixer should be there; cookie sheets/cake tins/muffin tins would be nice, too, if folks are renting for more tha a couple of weeks at a time; an initial supply of things like toilet paper, paper towels, dish detergent, stove top cleaner, sink cleaner should also be available with a note to replace if renter uses the last of same. Cable t.v. would be a requirement while internet would be a plus. And passes for the renters should be up to them - they may not need/want them.

Remember - renters are your best advertising...repeat renters are a blessing!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM

To add to njbchbum's list, it should be as they say turnkey. The only things renters should need to bring are personal items.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Does "The Villages" have certain requirements that must be met or is that just if you use their agency people to rent it out? Another thought would be different homeowners insurance if you rent it out.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Renters here really do expect a fully equipped home -- coffee maker, mixer, dishes (including serving dishes), silverware, cooking utensils, pots and pans; towels, sheets, extra blankets; etc. Some will ask for roasting pans and most Canadians and Brits want a tea kettle. The better equipped, the happier your renters will be and the more likely they will be to repeat.

Most definitely have internet (including WiFi, not just hook up) and, at the very least, basic cable. A phone for local calls would be nice (MagicJack is not a bad idea).

If you use The Villages or Hometown to rent your property (not a good idea IMO), they will give you a list of what the home must provide. To me, their list is a bit too much but it certainly gives you a good idea of what is needed.

For a good rule of thumb, figure what you would want in a home that you're going to stay in for at least a month and factor in that you'll have guests for dinner and weekends and supply those items.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Gold member

My Mom, aunt and I just rented a villa last month. We loved the rental but there were two things it was missing in the second bedroom: a clock and an extra blanket. My aunt would have frozen to death if we hadn't had a blanket in the car for the trip to Florida. We were their first rental and it had everything we needed except for those two items.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Gold member

The only thing the renters should have to bring is their cloths and toothbrushes, all else should be supplied by owner.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

"Amenity" Passes: You turn in your ID cards at the sales office in Spanish Springs (ask for Brenda). Ask for the necessary forms to fill out for the renters. Either you or they will have to pay $50 for the cards for them. They get their ID cards at the sales office in Lake Sumter Landing. You can pick up your cards after the rental period or they'll just hold them until the next renters. It does mean that you will have no ID cards if you come down while renters are at your house. You'll have to either get guest passes or ID cards for $50 from the home in which you're staying.

The ID cards for renters will entitle them to everything a resident can do.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2013, 04:12 PM

If you rent using the villages they will have a BIG list of items you need to supply - a renter would not be expected to bring anything to live in the home. The villages rental bans the owner renting out his golf cart but this is a must for most renters. Basic TV, wifi and free phone calls are also expected.

The guest will require villages ID and to do this you have to surrender your own ID and authorise the guest to have this ID (at a $50 cost).

Bear in mind that rentals are easily obtained for January thro April but not so during the rest of the year

It is easy to advertise your home to gain renters but you will need a caretaker to look after the home. You also need to pay sales tax (currently 9% in Sumter) and make a monthly return to the taxman

Enjoy your new home
Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM

So, for the amenity ID card, we can't hold on to our cards as owners and issue guest passes for the renters? Seems to me, as I am paying the amenity fees, I should be entitled to use the facilities.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoman View Post
So, for the amenity ID card, we can't hold on to our cards as owners and issue guest passes for the renters? Seems to me, as I am paying the amenity fees, I should be entitled to use the facilities.
I feel the same way. I pay the water bill and amenity fee for my long-term renters but Mom and I have to get guest passes when we rent in TV when we come for a visit. Doesn't seem quite right.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Renters here really do expect a fully equipped home -- coffee maker, mixer, dishes (including serving dishes), silverware, cooking utensils, pots and pans; towels, sheets, extra blankets; etc. Some will ask for roasting pans and most Canadians and Brits want a tea kettle. The better equipped, the happier your renters will be and the more likely they will be to repeat.

Most definitely have internet (including WiFi, not just hook up) and, at the very least, basic cable. A phone for local calls would be nice (MagicJack is not a bad idea).

If you use The Villages or Hometown to rent your property (not a good idea IMO), they will give you a list of what the home must provide. To me, their list is a bit too much but it certainly gives you a good idea of what is needed.

For a good rule of thumb, figure what you would want in a home that you're going to stay in for at least a month and factor in that you'll have guests for dinner and weekends and supply those items.

Prior to buying, we rented in TV twice; once for a week and once for a month. In both cases the houses were fully equipped as listed above and both also came with golf carts. One also had two sets of golf clubs, swimming pool floats and pickleball equipment.

Both houses had TV sets in the living room and in the master bed room.

In one case we had a nearby lightning strike temporarily knock out the phone and Internet service, and at another time we had a minor electrical problem with the golf cart. The homeowner, in a Northern state, arranged repairs for both by telephone. He had a golf cart repairman, who came to the house, who he routinely used for repairs.

If I were still in the market to rent a house I would not consider one that was not fully equipped.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

I don't know the percentage but many rental homes have a golf cart included. I think it's fair to say that many full-time residents do not look upon "rentals" in a favorable manner. That is perfectly understandable. However, not to imply that reners are not respected and are not treated any different than anyone else in TV. Many renters are, in fact, future homeowners and become full-time residents.

I was surprised not to find any rental restrictions in the deed restrictions. Many HOA'S that allow rentals do have boundaries i.e. minimum 3 month rentals etc. It appears that in TV good, bad or otherwise there are no such restrictions.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoman View Post

You are entitled while you are here and the renters are entitled when they are here. You just need to go down to the office and get your ID's back.
You can also just get them the guest ID's if they are OK with that. It up to you.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Thank you for all of the advice. just trying to keep the costs down, and still
provide the basic conveniences.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.