VA Lender?

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

VA Loans can only be used on Resale, not on new. There are alot of places that do that for a reason....
Alot of reasons why, but mainly due to Builder is not a VA approved builder. Easy steps to become a VA approved builder. But not needed here. Under VA the seller is required to pay some of the closing cost for the buyer. That will not happen here. Also under a Deed Restricted 55 Plus community, Builders have the right to stipulate on loans. That comes from the VA. I just got off the phone with them. The houses in The Villages meet and will pass any VA inspection. But due to stipulations under VA regulations this will not happen here.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Default Costco Mortgage Companies vs. VA

Hi All,

I found out that Costco offers mortgage services through their partners. I was able to compare rates and they were actually as good, if NOT better, than VA.

Also, hate to say it, but Citizens First bank is charging nearly $2000 in lender fees. Costco has their partners cap their fees at no more than $1000 (plus their rates were a bit lower).

I will give Citizens a chance to try to match, or at least get close to these rates. If they simply can't, then, I will vote with my feet.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
VA Loans can only be used on Resale, not on new. There are alot of places that do that for a reason....
Alot of reasons why, but mainly due to Builder is not a VA approved builder. Easy steps to become a VA approved builder. But not needed here. Under VA the seller is required to pay some of the closing cost for the buyer. That will not happen here. Also under a Deed Restricted 55 Plus community, Builders have the right to stipulate on loans. That comes from the VA. I just got off the phone with them. The houses in The Villages meet and will pass any VA inspection. But due to stipulations under VA regulations this will not happen here.
So, the Builder has chosen not to support the troops who have gone into harm's way to protect his freedoms as an American.
His choice, of course, but I choose not to agree.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Sage

What the builder has actually chosen is to not alter his building/closing schedule to accommodate archaic government policies and procedures.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwlinn View Post
Our design meeting is scheduled to begin March 4 th 9 am. We still don't have a designer assigned so a couple basic questions:
1. Summer kitchen thru builder vs after build costs and will the builder rough in the propane connection, elect and water?
Any recommendations on post build contractors?

2. How long are we at the design center each day?

3. Anyone care to comment on pool being on the NE back corner on house vs. NW back corner?

4. Who is the cabinet maker/company?

Thanks from Houston - No problems here we're coming to TV!
rwlinn,

Summer kitchen is less expensive if you build it later but the down side is you will need to deal with the construction, vendors, noise and dust. Either way, ensure the wiring and plumbing is in place during new construction.

You are only actually at the design center for short periods of time. Most of our time was spent walking through models looking at different designs and finishes.

I think you would want the pool in a south exposure for the winter sun and protection from the north wind. If your two choices are NE and NW it would depend on if you like the sun on the pool in the afternoon (NW) or morning (NE).

You should check out a thread on TOTV titled New Villagers of Gilchrist which has lots of this type of information.

Welcome to TOTV and The Villages.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
So, the Builder has chosen not to support the troops who have gone into harm's way to protect his freedoms as an American.
His choice, of course, but I choose not to agree.
I do not believe that has nothing to do with it as far as supporting the troops, more along the lines of having to pay closing cost and so on.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Angie-
It appears the answer is NO, you can't. I am in contract with a set close date- 3/12 my realtor failed to inform me that I can't use FHA on my new construction home. After I secured financing, paid deposit and paid appraisal fee.
Lender is requesting 5 forms filled out by builder--and I was told by my realtor--SORRY, but it ain't happening. After I sold my villa cash for less to even make the deal on the Lantana happen. So, I am now seeking legal action..and attempting to come up with the other 15,000 with higher interest rate to make the deal happen!!!

I am using Suntrust Mortgage- who had no problem meeting the 30 day close date with FHA
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

...Say Goodnight Gracie.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-02-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM

I usually just read and keep quiet but somehow I can't keep quiet this morning. When you say, "secured financing, paid my deposit and paid the appraisal fee", what amount of deposit did you pay? When I bought a few years ago, 20% deposit was due before construction starts or if buying a spec home, 20% was due within 10 days as a down payment. Has this changed? Look at your contract. How much out of pocket have you spent as of now?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
Angie-
It appears the answer is NO, you can't. I am in contract with a set close date- 3/12 my realtor failed to inform me that I can't use FHA on my new construction home. After I secured financing, paid deposit and paid appraisal fee.
Lender is requesting 5 forms filled out by builder--and I was told by my realtor--SORRY, but it ain't happening. After I sold my villa cash for less to even make the deal on the Lantana happen. So, I am now seeking legal action..and attempting to come up with the other 15,000 with higher interest rate to make the deal happen!!!

I am using Suntrust Mortgage- who had no problem meeting the 30 day close date with FHA
Hi Tracey,
Wow...what a heart breaking story! I sure hope that this all works out for you!!

I am shopping Citizens First's rates/closing cost fees against other lenders (through Costco's website)... I fully 'get' that there will be NO FHA or VA financing, but I am certainly NOT going to just roll over for Citizens First, without comparing their fees/rates/etc. against other conventional lenders.

Tracey -- I really hope that there is a silver lining on this cloud for you...

Angie
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwlinn View Post
Our design meeting is scheduled to begin March 4 th 9 am. We still don't have a designer assigned so a couple basic questions:
1. Summer kitchen thru builder vs after build costs and will the builder rough in the propane connection, elect and water?
Any recommendations on post build contractors?

2. How long are we at the design center each day?

3. Anyone care to comment on pool being on the NE back corner on house vs. NW back corner?

4. Who is the cabinet maker/company?

Thanks from Houston - No problems here we're coming to TV!
We completed the design process yesterday.

1. A very responsible person in a construction business heavily involved in TV told me that after build savings would save approx 20%. Yes, you can get water, electric roughed in during build.

You can do a search of TOTV forums for references and input on this, or any other matter. Fellow villagers are very open about sharing their experiences and knowledge. It is one of the best features of TOTV.

2. You could spend the entire day- or days!- there. Because this is our second new build, we thought that we would be done with design in a single day. No even close! We ended up meeting parts of every day for five days. Never felt rushed or that we were inconveniencing our design rep.

3. I would select the side that maximizes sun exposure so that you can extend the enjoyment of warmer water as long as possible. Constructing a pool after build can save you serious $$.

T&D- the same company that does "during build" pool construction- and All Seasons Pools are very popular and reputable
pool construction companies.

4. Do not know.

Try to enjoy the process!

Best of Luck! And Welcome!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.