The Villages Properties Vs Outside Realtors/MLS

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 AM
Default The Villages Properties Vs Outside Realtors/MLS

What is the percentage of properties in The Villages listed by The Villages Properties compared to the percentage of properties listed by outside realtors via MLS? Does any realtor/company list ALL the homes that are for sale in The Villages? Trying to decide whether to choose a realtor first, then search for a home (and be limited to only those homes that the realtor lists), or find a home first, then search for a realtor to help acquire that home (thereby looking for a home without good help/local knowledge). Seems that the realtor arrangement/lineup in The Villages is more complicated than it should be!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=JSBecker;1056456]What is the percentage of properties in The Villages listed by The Villages Properties compared to the percentage of properties listed by outside realtors via MLS? Does any realtor/company list ALL the homes that are for sale in The Villages? Trying to decide whether to choose a realtor first, then search for a home (and be limited to only those homes that the realtor lists), or find a home first, then search for a realtor to help acquire that home (thereby looking for a home without good help/local knowledge). Seems that the realtor arrangement/lineup in The Villages is more complicated than it should be![/QUOTE]

There is much unhappiness by the folks who are realtors that are not allowed to sell new homes for the developer. Many try to stir up trouble on this forum.

But there is NO problem with it being complicated.

If you want a new home you will use The Villages sales staff. If you want a used home listed by The Villages, you can use either sales staff or MLS realtor. If you want a home listed by MLS, you will use MLS.

So if you are not sure. Work with a Villages sales person and a local realtor.

NOT complicated.. And smart on the part of The Developer. I wouldn't give away business that is running up to me and panting either.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you love this wonderful town.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Can't help you on the percentages, but you really do need both a Villages agent and an MLS realtor. The two don't mix per the developer's policies. Inconvenient for buyers and sellers. A money loser for realtors and agents. A very nice win situation for the developer.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Default Real estate agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBecker View Post
What is the percentage of properties in The Villages listed by The Villages Properties compared to the percentage of properties listed by outside realtors via MLS? Does any realtor/company list ALL the homes that are for sale in The Villages? Trying to decide whether to choose a realtor first, then search for a home (and be limited to only those homes that the realtor lists), or find a home first, then search for a realtor to help acquire that home (thereby looking for a home without good help/local knowledge). Seems that the realtor arrangement/lineup in The Villages is more complicated than it should be!
If you are looking for a new home,only agents from The Villages can work with you.
If you are looking at pre-owned you need a MLS agent and a Villager's agent.
I would contact both type of agents and give them your wishlist for a home.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

It really isn't too complicated.
TV representatives/realtor is not MLS.
The others are.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Gold member

The Villages builds and sells all the new homes and they sell resale ones also, and MLS realtors can sell only resale ones.

Not sure if you have been here and stayed at least a week to learn about TV, but in any case it's good to do the Lifestyle Preview Stay offered by TV. In that, they assign a sales rep to you (staying at a home or villa near Lake Sumter Landing), and the reps do not "sell". Living it for a week is what sells it. The sales reps are there as your concierge and if you ask to see properties, they'll show you some so you learn about the various pricing levels and floor plans. They tend to show new ones and not used ones because home sellers expect serious lookers for the showings. Most people here in their first days are mind boggled at the beauty and size of the place, and so the guidance of a TV sales rep is seriously needed.

Learn with TV reps, then go to Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments & Houses for Rent - realtor.com® . All MLS listings can be seen on realtor.com There are MLS realtors on here who are good.

One thing to know: when TV prices a resale home for sale, it is the right price. Many sellers have learned the hard way, after 6 months on the market and their home got stale, that they should have listed with TV in the first place. My guess is that TV has about 60% of resale listings and they intend to hold their market share. They compete.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I would say to find an agent for the mls listings and and a rep. from the villages.
The villages rep. will show you new homes and pre-owned but will try and steer you towards new homes.
An outside realtor has access to the mls listings.
Take your time an decide where you want to live. We are in our second villages home and decided to go to the historic section where we have a pre-owned designer stick built on the golf course.
When you buy pre-owned there is a good chance that there have been lots of upgrades made.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

For new homes it’ simple, The Village Properties has the exclusive rights to sell new homes in the Villages. Currently, The Village Properties are listing 535 preowned homes for sale. Zillow list 319 houses for sale that are not being sold by the Village Properties. I would say over 50% of the preowned home are also being sold by The Village Properties. There are good deals on new homes that haven’t sold in the older (one year old) neighborhoods such as The Village of Deaton where my house is located.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran member
Default We did both

Quote:
When we began looking about 18 months ago we worked with a Village Sales Person and also a Realtor that works with MLS. At that time, it was really the only way to see all the property's available in The Villages. I doubt this has changed. We found it somewhat unusual to have two people working in the same area, but it's the way it works in The Villages, and wasn't the least bit difficult seeing everything we wanted to see.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Both

Quote:
We began looking about 18 months ago and purchased in 2/14. We had an MLS Realtor and also a Villages Sales Person. At that time, it was the only way to see all the pre-owned property on the market. It was unusual to have two people involved in showing us property within the same community, but not the least bit difficult.

Have fun looking, exploring, and find two separate real estate people to show you all your options. Go to as many open houses as you possibly can. That's what we did to find our perfect combination to show us property.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

If you are looking at new homes................100% TV.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

For new homes it’ simple, The Village Properties has the exclusive rights to sell new homes in the Villages. Currently, The Village Properties are listing 535 preowned homes for sale. Zillow list 319 houses for sale that are not being sold by the Village Properties. There are good deals on new homes that haven’t sold in the older (one year old) neighborhoods such as The Village of Deaton where my house is located.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

When I was looking for a house down here, I went to The Villages website and saw hundreds of homes. I selected several that I might be interested in and contacted The Villages. I got hooked up with a great agent who took me around to all the homes I had listed plus a few more.

It seems to me that Properties of The Villages has this huge advantage. If I were selling I can't imagine why I would go anywhere else. Maybe the fees are a bit higher, I don't honestly know. I was told that POTV gets 5%. I don't know what other's get, but it doesn't seem to me to be worth and extras one or two percent to go with someone that is local.

A woman on my street had he home listed with a local agent for months and it didn't sell. She switched companies to another local agent and a few months later when it didn't sell, she switched to POTV and the house sold within days.

I realize that this is just one case and it might have been coincidental, but it affirmed my point to me.

Just my opinion. And no, I don't work for POTV.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:21 AM

When listing your home, if you go with a Realtor, your home will appear on literally hundreds of websites that are out there that feed from the MLS (Multiple Listing Service). The most accurate of these websites is Realtor.com as it gets updated every 15 minutes with the mls. You also will have a person that is eager to sell your home, that will be honest with you and never use your home as a staging ground to sell a new home. If you choose a Sales Representative from The Properties of The Villages your house will only be listed on what is known as the VLS (Villages Listing Service). What that means is that The Villages does not share there listings with any outside source so for the outside world to find your listing they have to know about The Villages and know about their website. The Properties of The Villages does not belong to The National Association of Realtors and nor do they take the oath of ethics. They do not co-broke (share in the sale of) with any outside Real Estate Agency. It is the only entity that does this. The Properties of The Villages is also the only "Developing Company" of it's kind to sell pre-owned properties where the buyer has no representation as they are not transaction agents/ brokers. I know when we were shopping and wanted to look at the pre-owned homes, a Village Sales Agent took us and once we looked at it then she said "now I'm going to show you what you can get brand new and for a whole lot less". Yes...we drank the kool-aide to and loved it! Now looking back we wished we would have looked at pre-owned homes with a Realtor. So how did we find out about The Villages? Well it was really in two ways. The Villages found me and asked me to interview for a position. We drove up from Orlando and fell in love...what is there not to love? Then my mother and stepfather found this as they had been looking to a retirement community. They narrowed their field down to The Villages and Trinity, FL. They ended up choosing The Villages. Once my stepfather passed my mother listed through The Villages because she wanted to downsize and took a loss on her property after they had promised that she would definitely gain a profit and that she would get a discount on the commission because she was buying another home through them. They do make many promises that a Realtor would never make. I hope this helps you...sorry to rant...but I just really want the facts to get out there...
Old 10-21-2015, 07:10 AM

If I had to do it all over again I would go with The Villages realtor. I had a bad experience buying a home through ReMax, Lady Lake, Rt 441. My realtor and the franchise owner were unresponsive to more than one problem I had with the home after the close. I'm a reasonable person that only expects a minimal amount of repect and understanding. ReMax failed miserably with me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.