What options for a new designer home are 'a must have'

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina
Smile What options for a new designer home are 'a must have'

Hi,

I've purchased a lot in the new village of Fernandino. We'll be picking the house in July. Since we'll be renting it the first few years, we'll be building it with mostly basics. So far the only extras are the golf car garage, a 2 ft bump out to the back of the house, a 2 ft bump out to the lanai and window blinds. Does anyone have recommendations for 'a must have'. Something they didn't do and in retrospect wish they had added during the buiding. Or something they did add during building and are now so glad they did.

Any guidance is so much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgentile1010 View Post
Hi,

I've purchased a lot in the new village of Fernandino. We'll be picking the house in July. Since we'll be renting it the first few years, we'll be building it with mostly basics. So far the only extras are the golf car garage, a 2 ft bump out to the back of the house, a 2 ft bump out to the lanai and window blinds. Does anyone have recommendations for 'a must have'. Something they didn't do and in retrospect wish they had added during the buiding. Or something they did add during building and are now so glad they did.

Thanks
I wish we had the bathtub in the guest bath made a shower...but may not be great for resale.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM

We also will be building in Fernandina this summer (205.96).
If you aren't putting in a summer kitchen at this time but plan to in the future, you should consider having it "plumbed" now for gas, electrics & plumbing.
My wife is considering a 3rd bathroom option for the Ivy model which obviously makes sense to do now rather than later.
Good luck with the plans.
Bob & Tracy
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Make the footprint of the house as large as possible for the lot --

ask if there are any other bumps possible --you will not be sorry ---

Anything else you can add later ---

good luck
Old 05-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Bump the garage if possible. Much more storage.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I agree with Ragman. The garage is your only storage, as you have no basement, limited attic storage, and are unable to build a shed. Enlarge the garage as much as you can. The cabinets and shelves you install later will be a godsend.

Another thing that nice to expand is the lanai, as big as can, if you can.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Sage

I thought you can add a shed if it's attached and within the setbacks, am I incorrect?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

Depends on your lot size.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM

My biggest regret is not having a golf cart garage!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Yes on the golf cart garage
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Platinum member

Golf cart garage and walk in shower. And as large a lanai as possible.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina

Thanks everybody. So, I got the golf car garage, I'll definitely get all the bump out options, house, lanai, garage, etc., and plumb, electric for the outdoor kitchen for later. I wasn't planning on all the bump outs, but now I will. Also hadn't thought about the outdoor kitchen. So awesome info.

Do they do anything for multiple zones heating/cooling. I was thinking a zone for the bedroom and one for the rest of the house if they do that. That way we can keep the bedroom warm/cool at night and not heat/cool the rest of the house.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM

What's your lot width. My realtor guy said, you can add one later if your lot size width is 70' or more. The golf car garage was my number one thing. We lived in a golf community before and I didn't have one. I agree it's crucial if you still have two cars.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Smile

Depending on the lot size and house you can ask to move the house to one side or the other; if one side has less of a set back this will give you more room between houses or if you want to extend a pad outside your lanai for a grill and/or table, and best of all NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. Angle your tile if going all tile, a charge but avoids e bowling alley effect. Good luck on finding the perfect house for you.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgentile1010 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
What model r u building?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.