Who to list with...

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Who to list with...

We want to sell our home in Ameila in The Villages to downsize within The Villages.

Our current home is listed on MLS through a 1-time nominal fee listing service - FSBO on steroids. No commissions are paid if the buyer does not go through an agent. We've gotten 4 or 5 showings in a 10-day period, all but two through agents who would be entitled to their 3% commission.

If I wanted to more aggressively market the property I would list it with a local agent, subjecting the sale to the typical 6% commission.

Here is my understanding of my two listing options:

1) List with Properties of the Villages, or
2) List with a local MLS Realtor

The Properties of the Villages listings do not appear on MLS listings and Realtors outside of Properties of The Villages do not show Villages-listed properties.

Conversely, MLS Realtor listings do not appear on Villages listings.

MLS Realtors do not show Villages properties, and Villages agents do not show MLS properties. Exception with Properties of the Villages agents: They will show an MLS property if there is a 24-hour 6% agreement signed by the seller. Yes, the same commision as if they listed the property and spent hundreds of dollars on marketing and adverstising - the profit without the expense. Amazing!

So, as I see it, half the potential lookers are excluded with either choice.

Here is my question: What is your experience with either of these options for listing your home for sale in The Villages? And what are your recommendations?

Oh, one more twist: If I close on both homes within 30 days of one another and both are listed with either The Villages or an MLS agent, the sales commission is reduced to 5%. But that limits my choice of homes to those listed with one or the other.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Default The most useful replies to me would be from those who sold their Villages home

Thank you Realtor...and the local Realtor route **may** be my choice...

BUT...

The most useful opinions for me would be from those Villagers who have actually experienced sales of their Villages homes, especially those who upsized or downsized within The Villages.

So I would like to hear from these.

Next...
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Default who to list with

The villages main thrust is to sell new homes - they will try to stear people that way first. If you have to have a new home, that's the way to go. They sometimes do not inform people of the bond. Pre- owned homes are best to go with a licensed realtor for the most exposure. There is a new broker/owner - Hope Peterson 352-446-6396
Old 10-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post

BUT...

The most useful opinions for me would be from those Villagers who have actually experienced sales of their Villages homes, especially those who upsized or downsized within The Villages.

Next...
We bought 3 preowned homes in the Villages, one each from owner, MLS and TV group. As for service and closing, the easiest was on our own: MLS was OK but needed a couple of swats to do things right or the way we wanted, and TV agent was a real dutz. All homes were initally viewed as open houses.
We listed one of our sales with TV group after carefully selecting the agent as one who was experienced and really worked at selling used. ( we visited open houses for a couple of weeks, basically observing them in action "interviewing " them in "reverse". Our listed home sold in 35 days and the agent was very active in showing it and agressively negotiated very close to the asking price. Our first home was sold to a friend. We interviewed several MLS agents but could not find one to our liking (sorry Lyle, we didn't know about you)
From what I can tell from the published statistics it appears that total monthly used sales run about 130 units for each TV and MLS. So maybe it doesn't matter who you choose.
We did notice that reps from 2 of the MLS agencies are very price driven and usually the third thing out of their mouths is "its listed at $XX, but I know we can do much better"; maybe they all are ex-used car sales people. Seem more interested in commissions than working for the seller.

You can PM me if you want the name of the agent we used.

One other thing, seems to me that TV asks for 1% more commission, but I wouldn't worry about that if you can find someone who will get the job done professionaly and quickly.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Houses are easy to sell here PF.

I think selling your home yourself is the best option. Just put an ad in the paper and on the internet FSBO and let McLinn Burnsed handle the paperwork for closing, they do it all. The cost to McLinn Burnsed to sell ours was about $700. We split the cost with the buyer.

BUT you have to be realistic about how you price them. Just study the listings on TheVillages.com.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i know i/ve been away for a while - so i'm wondering if i missed a change in posting rules...is the admin's sticky no longer applicable in 'ask the expert' forums?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
i know i/ve been away for a while - so i'm wondering if i missed a change in posting rules...is the admin's sticky no longer applicable in 'ask the expert' forums?
Whoops. I am not a realtor but I am a successful home seller. Does that count?

I have always wondered since you posted a lot on the thread about signs. Are you a realtor njbchbum?

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post

BUT...

Next...
bump
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Whoops. I am not a realtor but I am a successful home seller. Does that count?

I have always wondered since you posted a lot on the thread about signs. Are you a realtor njbchbum?
nope. 'tho i did take the nj. state course for same and even passed the exam! never pursued it, however. just a concerned citizen.

p.s. i'm a successful home buyer! never get around to selling what i buy, though!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Actually, the OP indicated to the expert (realtor) who answered the question that he/she would prefer to hear individual experiences and opinions of people who sold their homes in TV. That was what Gracie responded to. Perhaps the OP should have posed the question on the general forum.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Send a message via Skype™ to EVTheVillages

Hi gfmucci,

What did you end up deciding to do? We're all intrigued

Lyle is 100% right btw, he's a great asset to the online real estate industry here in TV.

13690 N US Highway 441, Suite 300, The Villages, FL 32159

Office: (352) 450-4505
Facebook: EVTheVillages
Twitter: @EVTheVillages
Web: www.villages.evusa.com
Email: villages@evusa.com
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Actually, the OP indicated to the expert (realtor) who answered the question that he/she would prefer to hear individual experiences and opinions of people who sold their homes in TV. That was what Gracie responded to. Perhaps the OP should have posed the question on the general forum.
Think people should answer for themselves. We do not have to come to the rescue of others who posted on this site. They are all big girls and boys let them answer for themselves.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Think people should answer for themselves. We do not have to come to the rescue of others who posted on this site. They are all big girls and boys let them answer for themselves.
I was not coming to anyone's rescue. I was responding to what I felt was a poster's misconception of what the OP wanted. The OP stated:

"The most useful opinions for me would be from those Villagers who have actually experienced sales of their Villages homes, especially those who upsized or downsized within The Villages.

So I would like to hear from these."

Someone chastised a non professional for answering, when in reality that's exactly what the OP wanted.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.