Batteries losing charge

Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Default Batteries losing charge

I have a 2002 remanufactured Club Car purchased in 2006. I had the current batteries installed in April 2012. I have had problems with them since Dec. They lose the charge. The company we purchased them from stated that 2 of the batteries do not charge completely and we need a converter for $213. They said this has been a problem on some of the Club Cars. Does this sound legitimate? I don't know if the batteries are the problem or there could be another problem.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Eternal Member

If you had a remand golf cart built and they did not supply you with a 48-12 volt voltage reducer you could have that type of condition.

Your cart was most likely originally built with a 16-12 volt reducer. This design draws off only two batteries for all the items on the cart that use 12 volts.
The two batteries that are used are typically run lower then the rest in the bank of batteries and therefore run behind in the charging process and after years use can cause an inadequate charge to all six batteries.

On all our remands that we build we always use a correctly installed voltage reducer to avoid the type of problem you are having. These days most good cart MFG's include them as a norm.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Sage

Frank.... thanks for that explanation...first time I've heard it put so clearly.

I have an 03 Club Cart, reman in 06 by the now defunct Golf Cart Connection. I just got my 3rd set of batteries in about 6.5 yrs of use. I do use it a lot ...about 100 miles a week. I have always had initial problems with the 2nd battery behind the driver seat...so, my symptoms sound similar to OP and your diagnosis.

I have a voltage tester and "high end" hydrometer. 2 batteries had one bad cell each but the other 4 tested beautifully. Given they were 2.5 yrs old I elected to replace all of them (Trojan T-875).

How much do you charge for the voltage reducer? Might be a good investment now with a new set of batteries to make sure they last equally.

Thanks to OP and Frank for bringing this up.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Eternal Member

Pricing on voltage reducers depends on the unit we install. It all depends on the accessories in use. The amperage ranges from 18 too 30 amps. Units range from $125 to $ 165 plus $50 install fee.

Also a note on the new Trogen Ranger Batteries we have been installing. They are boasting a 35% increase in Range over T 875, we are expecting to get a similar range as if we had 8 six volts in a 6 -8 volt cart.

Thanks for the compliment.
FR
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
Pricing on voltage reducers depends on the unit we install. It all depends on the accessories in use. The amperage ranges from 18 too 30 amps. Units range from $125 to $ 165 plus $50 install fee.
Also a note on the new Trogen Ranger Batteries we have been installing. They are boasting a 35% increase in Range over T 875, we are expecting to get a similar range as if we had 8 six volts in a 6 -8 volt cart.

FR
How do these Ranger Batteries price out compared to the T875 or T890s?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Eternal Member

The Ranger batteries are 40% more Money than T875's
Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Default trogen ranger 12 volt

Quote:

FR
Just wondering....is there a 12 volt ranger to use in place of the T1275
Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Eternal Member
Default Ranger T160

At present the is on l8 volt Rangers, they could us that design in 12volts and 6 volts .
The RANGER is a totally differnt design.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
If you had a remand golf cart built and they did not supply you with a 48-12 volt voltage reducer you could have that type of condition.

Your cart was most likely originally built with a 16-12 volt reducer. This design draws off only two batteries for all the items on the cart that use 12 volts.
The two batteries that are used are typically run lower then the rest in the bank of batteries and therefore run behind in the charging process and after years use can cause an inadequate charge to all six batteries.

On all our remands that we build we always use a correctly installed voltage reducer to avoid the type of problem you are having. These days most good cart MFG's include them as a norm.
Frank: My brain's exploding as I am not mechanically inclined> I purchased new a 2006 Club Car Precedent. Did my cart include the volt reducer? Batteries have been mentioned I had a terrible time with Trojans and after two lousy sets switched to Powertran. In your view what batteries would you chose for your golf cart?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Eternal Member

The brand of 12 volt batteries is not the issue. Let me get to a explanation that my help you understand this problem.
Your make and model cart was built with only room for four 12 volt batteries. Those batteries weight is 278 lbs. 4 x72 lbs. Most other carts standard have 6-8 volt batteries that weight 360 Lbs., and many have 8 batteries 480 lbs. If you us a comparison of weight to miles you can use comparison example the 6 batteries will go ferther on a charge than 4 Willard 8 will travel the most.
Living in The Villages with a 4 - 12 volt battery cart is taking those 4 - 12 volt batteries
To there and beound there limits to often and therefore distroying there life expectancy

So in conclusion it's not the brand of batteries it is the cart design.
I hope that helps you see things better.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.