Battery charger - ventilation requirements?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Default Battery charger - ventilation requirements?

I just purchased a used 2008 Club Car DS. In reading the documentation that came with it, in the Charger manual, it states:
"DANGER!"
"The charging area must be ventilated. Hydrogen level in the air must never exceed 2%. The total volume of air in the charging area must be changed 5 times per hour. Exhaust fans should be located at the highest point of the roof."

This concerns me because the brilliant designers of my brand new Courtyard Villa installed fixed windows in the garage. With the garage door down, there is no ventilation whatsoever.

Have you ever heard of a charger causing some sort of safety problem because there wasn't adequate ventilation in the garage?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM

I always keep my garage door up about 2-3' while I am charging.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpasm View Post
I just purchased a used 2008 Club Car DS. In reading the documentation that came with it, in the Charger manual, it states:
"DANGER!"
"The charging area must be ventilated. Hydrogen level in the air must never exceed 2%. The total volume of air in the charging area must be changed 5 times per hour. Exhaust fans should be located at the highest point of the roof."

This concerns me because the brilliant designers of my brand new Courtyard Villa installed fixed windows in the garage. With the garage door down, there is no ventilation whatsoever.

Have you ever heard of a charger causing some sort of safety problem because there wasn't adequate ventilation in the garage?
I've never had any problem in 3 years with charging. My garage is bigger than a villa garage, though. I have an expanded 2 car garage, so I'm not sure if that's a factor.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Eternal Member
Default Garage ventilation

It is always necessary for ventilation to be available when charging batteries.

I also hold a State Certified Contractores licence and have never built a House without garage steps into the house and along with vents in garage doors at the bottom. These codes were inforced for auto fumes but also apply to both gas and electric golf carts.

I suggest you make some changes and for now charge your cart with the garage door open a bit.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Gold member
Default Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
It is always necessary for ventilation to be available when charging batteries.

I also hold a State Certified Contractores licence and have never built a House without garage steps into the house and along with vents in garage doors at the bottom. These codes were inforced for auto fumes but also apply to both gas and electric golf carts.

I suggest you make some changes and for now charge your cart with the garage door open a bit.
Agree, If a battery(s) outgases for what ever reason the fumes are pretty noxious! I believe the new battery tenders or "smart chargers" will prevent this.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum member

If you have stairs going to the attic in the garage, pull that down. The hydrogen gas will go out the roof vents. Also wouldn't hurt to open the garage door just a bit to let the air circulate.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.