Battery Config (4) 12v --> (6) 8v conversion

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Default Battery Config (4) 12v --> (6) 8v conversion

Hi Folks,
Frank or anyone who has had experience in the following:
I have a '09 CC Precedent that I suspect will probably need replacement batteries before too long. I am interested in converting my cart to a (6) 8v configuration which will provide more endurance/range. I have read Frank's very informative comments in another thread:
4 battery system that club car designed for the Precedent was a terrible design for a golf cart especially for places like The Villages. With (278) pounds of plates in a golf cart the battery system would just barely, when new get 35 miles on a full charge. Club car has gone back to (6) - 8 volt batteries design (360) pounds of plates. Trojan warranted many of the black 1275 batteries until they realized the cart design was the problem not the battery
I am sold, I think, on the logic of converting and wonder what is involved. Is the battery bucket designed to accomodate either (4) 12v or (6) 8v batteries or must I change it out? I know I will need a voltage reducer for 12v output for accessories/lights, etc.. Will the aluminum frame in the battery compartment area of the Precedent withstand the additional weight (I understand the CC DS frame will not)? I realize I'll need a couple more cables to tie the bank together, of course. Is there anything that I'm forgetting or completely naive about? Any helpful advice, instructions or comments are much appreciated!

Thanks
FredF (SnowBird owner)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Eternal Member
Default Battery conversion

The tub for the four 12volt batteries in the precedent is not acceptable for the 6 > 8 volts.
The electronic mechanism must also be relocated behind the battery compartment.
To accomplish your goal, there is a complete kit available including the new tub, wires, etc.
Please remember when buying 6 new batteries 2 of the six will not be counted for core value and the price will be higher for two of the new batteries.

Hope this helps your decisions.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
The tub for the four 12volt batteries in the precedent is not acceptable for the 6 > 8 volts.
The electronic mechanism must also be relocated behind the battery campartment.
To accomplish your goal, there is a complete kit available including the new tub, wires, etc.
Please remember when buying new 6 new batteries 2 of the six will not be counted for core value and the price will be higher for two of the new batteries.

Hope this helps your decisions.
I was afraid I might have to replace the battery compartment. My controller and OBC are already mounted on an aluminum heat sink behind the battery compartment and don't infringe on the space within so I guess I'm OK there. Where is the kit available; do you stock it? The (2) no core adn'l cost is something I hadn't considered.

Thanks for your help
FredF
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM

After doing some more research @ BGW, here is a thread on the subject:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/43536-2008-precedent-change-12v-8v-batt.html

I saw 1 of these back in the summer and I do believe that battery cables are all you need. If I remember correctly your controller, OBC and solenoid are all located on the back wall of the tub. If this is true I believe you are good to go. However Tahoe Dog is the man to say what will anwill not work.

Thanks,
contacted the local club car and after much cross referencing all I had to do was add battery cables.
The battery pan was set up for both 12v and 8v and the OBC was good for both as well.
Had to get a voltage reducer for the existing light kit

I believe this may also be the case with my '09 Precedent! The battery pan seemed, to me, to be convertible

Thanks
FredF
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Eternal Member
Default Batteries

There is some good news, the four 12's have a higher core value than 8's by a few dollars, so the true loss is only $20.00.
We get deliveries every day and we would have the kit in one day.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
There is some good news, the four 12's have a higher core value than 8's by a few dollars, so the true loss is only $20.00.
We get deliveries every day and we would have the kit in one day.
That is GREAT news!

I hope you'll comment on my other post as well

Thanks
FredF
Old 12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Eternal Member
Default Even better news

You said your components are already located on the back side of the battery tub, there is a good chance your tub will suit both battery options 12' or 8's.
Now chose the voltage reducer amp's according to the accessories you have.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll check with CC to confirm and hope that a voltage reducer is all I need besides some cables. I'll still need a 12v battery - I'll call tomorrow

Thanks again
FredF

Update:
12/12/11 Spoke with Golf Cart Supply, Inc, Newcastle PA (distributor of EZ-GO & CC)
The service rep told me that 2009 and newer carts need only battery cables. The battery bucket will accomodate (4) 12v or (6) 8v. The charging algorithms used by the OBC are the same, and even the battery hold-downs will work (must break off a tab). The voltage reducer is the added expense of the operation.

FredF

Last edited by ffresh; 12-12-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Update
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.