Cart stopped

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Default Cart stopped

2004 Yamaha 48 volt. While driving today the cart just shut down. When pressing the accelerator pedal the cart makes a very short bump and the battery gauge (analog) goes to zero for a brief time and it feels like a torque switch takes over then the gauge comes back (does not stay at bottom), the cart does not move. Same in forward or reverse. Where do you suggest I start, the controller or the motor? The wheels turn, had it towed home by **** Aid, so the problem appears to be in the drive circuit. Plugged in the charger, after it went thru its startup checks went to abnormal cycle. Does the same with tow switch in tow or run. One battery shows low, 6.xx volts all others show 8.4 volts. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by renrod; 01-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Eternal Member
Default Quick stop

The abrupt shut down sounds like a lose or broken wire, or a short cell in one battery. The batteries are the place to start.

Check to see if the motor terminals have any heated areas or any movement at each terminal.
These are the areas I would choose to focus on way before the controller.
The tow run switch isolates the electronic area and that is what leads me toward the batteries and motor.

Good luck and be careful.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Default Batteries were the answer

Thanks for the information. My batteries were going on 4 years. One of them was the major problem. 6 new 8 volt batteries and the cart is good as new. Usually bad batteries just don't give the same run time (distance) but this one was causing the controller to do it's job and shut down.
Thanks again for all your help. I. B. Happy!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.