Charging problem

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Default Charging problem

I have a problem charging my Star Car. After a overnight charge the garage reeks of sulfur. The charger seems to boil the fluid in the batteries and every two days or so the batteries require a lot of water to cover the plates. Is the problem in the charger?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Eternal Member
Default Star Battery Charging

You most likely have a DeltaQ charger and it sounds like your algorithm settings could be set incorrectly set for your batteries.
How old and when did you replace your batteries? If you replace your batteries and do not check the charger setting for a different brand of batteries you could be charging in the wrong range for your batteries.

Bottom line is that all or most of your batteries are charging too long before the charger shuts down automatically causing the sulfur smell. "SOM TING WONG"
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
You most likely have a DeltaQ charger and it sounds like your algorithm settings
Could be set incorrectly set for your batteries.
How old and when did you replace your batteries?
If you replace your batteries and do not check the charger setting for a different
Brand of batteries you could be charging at the wrong charging in the wrong range for your batteries.
Bottom line is that all or most of your batteries are charging too long before the charger shuts down automatically causing the sulfur smell. "SOM TING WONG"
Checked the charger, it is a Schauer 15.5 amp model jac1548d. I am guessing it starts out at 15 amps, and does not reduce amps and therefore boils battery fluid. So question is can it be fixed, or should i just by a new charger. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member
Default Charger

If you had a bad battery or two in the group the others would cook while the bad ones are trying to catch up. The system needs to be discharged and and then each battery checked separately with the proper equipment. Don't condemn the charger yet.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Default New charger and new batteries

Quote:
If you had a bad battery or two in the group the others would cook while the bad ones are trying to catch up. The system needs to be discharged and and then each battery checked separately with the proper equipment. Don't condemn the charger yet.
OK fixed problem with new charger and new trojans. Now the brakes over tighten themself on the left rear and I am lucky to get 10 miles out of a charge. I know this cart has regenerative braking, could that be faulty and over adjusting the brake shoes. I just want to fix this cart so I can sell it and still have a clear conscience that I did not screw over someone who buys it.
Thanks, Mike.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Eternal Member
Default Brakes on Star

Most likely the mechanical self adjuster has caused the over adjustment of the
Brakes and not the regen. We have been successful replacing the backing plate and adjuster assembly to repair this problem.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Most likely the mechanical self adjuster has caused the over adjustment of the
Brakes and not the regen. We have been successful replacing the backing plate and adjuster assembly to repair this problem.
Is this a costly repair to have done? Thank, Mike
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Default New problem?

OK, New batteries, new charger, backed of the left brake that was over adjusting, now all that done and on a full 48 volt charge this stupit cart still zaps all power on a 10 minute drive. I live 3 minutes from the golf cart bridge and with a full 12 hour 48 volt charge the cart barely makes it over the bridge and then I turn around and try to get back home and have to push the stupit thing up the bridge. Not easy to do after 2 spinal surgeries.
So now I have $1000 into an 2007 golf cart and still cannot use it. At my wits end with this thing, if it was legal I would burn it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.