Electric Golf Cart Loses Power Intermittently

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default Electric Golf Cart Loses Power Intermittently

Motoring right along, all of a sudden, our electric Yamaha 2016 golf cart makes that recognizable alarm sound and completely lost power. After coming to a complete stop, I turned the key to off and started the cart right up again. The cart motored along for about a quarter mile and same thing happened. Luckily we were close to home so restarted it for the second time and made it back to the house.

There were 4 bars on the battery indicator so the batteries were not out of "juice". The alarm sound was the same sound that alarms when you put the cart in reverse only this time it sounded "sick". Both times, after restarting the cart, it had just as much power as it normally has which is very peppy when starting from a full stop. Hubby checked the battery terminals and they are clean.

Our cart is driven short distances all the time which is about 6-7 miles round trip. We live in Mallory Square and drive to Colony Plaza Publix, Colony Rec Center, to Lake Miona Rec Center and to Lake Sumter Landing. We have taken the cart out a couple of times for longer drives, including this drive to Brownwood when it lost power. I don't know if the driving distance has anything to do with this problem but thought I would give this information just in case it may be helpful to diagnose the problem.

Since this happened a couple of weeks ago, the cart has been driving fine with no loss of power but I'm worried it may happen again. What could possibly be the problem?
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by titangolfcartsouth View Post
Led light on the carts are not the most accurate. If the cart is lacking distances constantly you probably have a better problem you should get a discharge test. If you are seeing the problem once in awhile then I would check the charger. But it sounds like this is the only time this happened you may have not plug the charger in good. I would keep my on it make sure the charger turns when you plug it and make sure it is off when you on plug it.
What is the LED light on the cart that you refer to? Is it the battery indicator that tells me how much battery charge is left? I said there were 4 bars on the battery indicator. Is that also called an LED light?

I will make sure the charger is plugged in all the way. Thank you for your advice.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by titangolfcartsouth View Post
Led battery light on the carts are not the most accurate. If the cart is lacking distances constantly you probably have a battery problem you should get a discharge test. If you are seeing the problem once in awhile then I would check the charger. But it sounds like this is the only time this happened you may have not plugged in the charger all the way.
Thank you for your advice.

Tags
cart, power, time, problem, sound

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.