Equalization Charge

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Default Equalization Charge

Hi fellow Villagers (from a SnowBird),
I bought a used '09 CC Precedent, unfortunately, with the (4) 12v battery configuration. One battery appears to have two weak cells (~1.180SG) after charging. I want to attempt to do a equalization charge to see if it helps. Trojan's web site states:

Equalizing is an overcharge performed on flooded lead-acid batteries after they have been fully charged. It helps eliminate stratification and
sulfation, two conditions that can reduce the overall performance of a battery. Trojan recommends equalizing only when low or wide ranging specific gravity (+/-.015) is detected after fully charging a battery.

They outline a procedure, then state, "NOTE: Many chargers do not have an
equalization setting, so this procedure cannot be used" This, of course, is the case with the PowerDrive II 48v charger that I received with the cart - there is no equlization charge setting.

On the web site of EZ-GO, the following (abridged) is stated:

Equalization Charging
An equalization charge is a controlled over-charge of the battery set to allow the electrolyte to mix properly and to promote equal cell voltages and specific gravity readings.
2.Make sure that the car was charged the night before and that the charger has cycled off.
3.Unplug the charger from the car.
5.Plug the charger back in to the car to restart the charger.
6.Allow the charger to run until it cycles off.
7.Unplug the charger and re-plug immediately after the previous charger cycle.
8.Repeat for three consecutive charge cycles.
9.Allow batteries to cool.
10.Inspect and / or correct the electrolyte level in all battery cells.
11.Return the car to service.

I am planning on trying this procedure to see if it works with the charger and with the 4yr old batteries in the cart that register good SG readings in all of the cells (~1280-1310SG as best as I can read on the cheap hydrometers available for purchase) except for the two cells mentioned. If this procedure fails is there any ready source in TV for a good used T1275 to replace the weak one until I eventually convert to (6) 8v batteries (I'll start another thread on this one - I read the reasoning of Frank on this issue)?

Any helpful comments will be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks
FredF (SnowBird owner)
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Eternal Member
Default Used 12 volts

We just did a conversion on a 4. > 12 volt system and I think we have a few 12 volt batteries that can fit yor needs.
Please call Monday and ask for Frank regarding this post.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM

I will certainly do that, thanks. I have just posted another thread a moment ago inquiring about the (4) 12v --> (6) 8v conversion. Perhaps you/Frank can check it out

Thanks
FredF
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.