Fuel Starvation

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Default Fuel Starvation

About 5 months ago I fixed a fuel starvation issue with my 2008 Club Car DS buy replacing the fuel pump, fuel lines, filters, impulse line and clamps. I also checked to ensure the gas pickup tube in the tank was not clogged, the vent was working and that there was no debris in the tank. The carb vent tube was working. I also ensured the impulse line was not too long. I had no more fuel issues until now. The starvation issue occurs only on the return trip after the cart has been driven for a long distance - 7 miles or so each way. The engine will sputter to a stop, but will restart and run for a short distance after I let it set for a few seconds. This repeats over and over again as I drive, but I can halt the starvation by running with a light throttle. When the engine stops, the filter before the pump is about half full, but the one after the pump is virtually empty. After the cart sits for a hour or so, both filters are full. I can find no fuel leaks, and the vent lines are OK. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Eternal Member

We are leaning toward resetting the carb float, making sure the we have enough running fuel. Then cleaning the needle & seat in the carb and acid soaking disassembled carb over night. Reassemble and adjust. Not necessary in that order if all to be accomplished. Also after an hour of running on an older engine, compression to the crankcase could fall
off from heat and wear, thus fuel pump loses pressure to pump fuel.

Regards,
FR
Old 08-10-2013, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have Techron fuel system cleaner added to the gas to see if that might clean up the carb. I have enough cleaner to treat a second tank full. If compression is the issue, would using an oil treatment improve the compression? If so, what treatment would you recommend.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Eternal Member
Default Oil additive

We use Lucas , a little pricey but it performs well.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Before tearing down the carb, I am checking the air supply for any issues. I notice that the choke opens, but not sure that it opens enough. I can't find any insructions on how to adjust the choke. There is a slight clearance between the choke button and the arm, so that seems OK. Is there any adjustment inside the air box?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM

I had the same exact problem always on the return from Brownwood, we live in Tamarind Grove. The cart would stall but I could nurse it back by tapping on the throttle (fuel filter was dry), the problem was the ground wire was cut on the rpm limiter. Cart World explained that the coil is grounded through the rpm limiter, by cutting the ground wire this prevented the timing or pulse to be sent to the fuel system properly. I had a new limiter installed and now it runs like a charm.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Eternal Member

I like that issue from Jerry P, check and see if the wires on the rev limiter have been cut or damaged. Replacing the rev limiter is not cheap.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Eternal Member

No there are no adjustments in the air box.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM

If the governor fails or is adjusted for high speed, the rev limiter cuts out the ignition spark if the engine rpm exceeds the design limit. I checked the rev limiter and found that the previous owner cut the ground wire as some do as a speed mod. Cutting the ground wire effectively removes the limiter. The other wires from the limiter which connect to the ignition coil appear to be OK, so I don't believe the limiter is causing my problem. I wil be testing the compression next.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.