gas Club Car battery often needs recharging

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Default gas Club Car battery often needs recharging

Our gas 2007 Street rod/2006 Club car battery dies if it is not used every 2 weeks or so. I use a Harbor Freight (60653) 10/2/50 amp,12 volt battery charger when it wont start. What would be the best way to avoid it ever dying? Should I leave it on the 2 amp trickle charge, or recharge it every week and leave it off between recharges? Im a little wary of leaving it always on a charger? How would I know when to replace the battery? I was told that the battery is probably fine and that even a new battery would need charging periodically if it is not used.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

I believe you have a small sort in you electrical system that is drawing the battery down every two weeks. I do not know how handy you are but if you take one wire off your battery (with the key off) and touch it back to the battery you may see a small spark.
If you see a spark that will prove my theory of a short in the system, a good system will have no battery draw with the key off (no spark).
Old 02-21-2015, 09:17 PM

Frank,
Thanks again for your help. You are correct. Our friend found that the speedometer was slowly draining the battery. WE knew that the speedometer didn't turn off with the key but it did turn off later, just never fully. I was a little nervous to try your test. But we now know what has caused the problem. I will just have to be sure to take out the cart at least once a week.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Eternal Member

I'm glad you found the problem.

Regards
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.