Hot plugs when charging batteries

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Default Hot plugs when charging batteries

Hello.I have a 2001 EZ-GO. I've had it since 2004. I never noticed this before yesterday. When I charge the batteries the plug into the wall outlet becomes hot and the plug into the cart is very hot. This occurs after 30-45 minutes of charging. The charger is reading 20 when I put it in. I have always charged it overnight for 12-16 hours and never noticed this. Is this normal or did I just not notice it. I unplugged it thinking it might catch fire. The batteries are new in 2009. Thank you for any help, Pochib
Old 08-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Eternal Member

The charger is definitely running into resistance while charging, one or more of your batteries is causing the charger overload. I suspect the almost four year old batteries have run there course.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
The charger is definitely running into resistance while charging, one or more of your batteries is causing the charger overload. I suspect the almost four year old batteries have run there course.
Hi Frank,
could I disconnect them one at a time...then I would be charging 5 of them as usual and if it works correctly, just replace that one?
Is there a tester you can purchase to see if each battery is still good?
Pochie
Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Eternal Member

No, I am afraid that will not work. What you could do is get a hold of a hydrometer, they are usually under $10.00 (Walmart) After a reasonable amount of time on charge remove the charger
Plug let the batteries settle down for 20 min than use the hydrometer in each of the cells.
Most likely you have a 36 volt system and you have 18 cells to check and record.
Good and charged batteries will show a specific gravity of over 13 on the scale. This BASIC
Test should help you see for yourself the level your dealing with by battery and by cell.
Please, no smoking or sparks during and in the test area.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
No, I am afraid that will not work. What you could do is get a hold of a hydrometer, they are usually under $10.00 (Walmart) After a reasonable amount of time on charge remove the charger
Plug let the batteries settle down for 20 min than use the hydrometer in each of the cells.
Most likely you have a 36 volt system and you have 18 cells to check and record.
Good and charged batteries will show a specific gravity of over 13 on the scale. This BASIC
Test should help you see for yourself the level your dealing with by battery and by cell.
Please, no smoking or sparks during and in the test area.
Thanks Frank,
I'll try and do that tomorrow. Pochie
Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Eternal Member

When a charger is plugged into a cart and shows high amps on the charger the batteries are not receiving the rise in voltage needed to lower the amps and and complete the charging process. The reasons for this is a bad cell, battery or group of batteries.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.