Par Car Stutter

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Default Par Car Stutter

My 2008 Columbia Par Car has an intermittent but significant stutter/clunking when the accelerator is fully released to idle. It works great as long as the accelerator is not fully released to idle to slow down but intermittently jerks and stutters when doing so, knocking out the whole system until the Fwd/Rev switch is placed in neutral and the key is cycled off and then back on awaiting the click. Is there something in that accelerator gizmo that doesn't like to be left in the idle position for extended storage periods? The cart sat for several months this summer awaiting our return south. And, if anyone knows how to obtain a "Service Manual" for one of these carts please pass along the info.

Any trouble shooting thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanking you,
Paul
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Eternal Member

You may have your motor brushes sticking. It is not uncommon when carts sit for long periods.
We would pull the motor clean and possible brush replacement.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
You may have your motor brushes sticking. It is not uncommon when carts sit for long periods.
We would pull the motor clean and possible brush replacement.
A fellow waiting with me to get parts down in Leesburg also indicated brushes might be a problem with a motor that is not used for long periods. I examined what I could see after removing the shield and all looked fairly clean however I didn't pull the motor to check brush tension on those brushes I couldn't touch. Thanks for the hint, - we may give you a call. I just can't figure out why it only happens when releasing the accelerator pedal to idle. If the brushes are supplying normal power distribution at other accelerator positions, what's different at idle?? There is substantial spring pressure pressing the brushes towards the armature so unless the long storage periods tend to leave carbon tracks it just doesn't make sense to my humble brain. (Not the first or last time though)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

Don't forget your cart is a regen system and the motor has current even wile deceleration.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.