Under Cart Lights

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Under Cart Lights

Hi Frank and welcome:

I just purchased a set of LED lights that I want to install under my Golf Cart. I have a 2010 EZ-GO electric with 4-12 volt batteries. Do I need to install a voltage reducer because they run on a 12 volt system, or can I just connect them to one battery.

Thanks for your help!!

George
Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Sage

George, what color lights are you planning on installing? If I'm not mistaken, blue is not allowed here...something about emergency vehicles using those colors.

Maybe someone else knows more about this.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Default Lights and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acutek painting View Post
also there is a built in regulator already so you wouldnt have to purchase a new one.
Wow can you send me some info to do mine because I want to install some lights and possibly a CB on mine as well?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

Pooh, red and blue lights are illegal to have while on a street. However, you can still use them when you are parked on the square or on a multi-modal path. This is according to the Sumter County Sheriff's Department.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Pooh, red and blue lights are illegal to have while on a street. However, you can still use them when you are parked on the square or on a multi-modal path. This is according to the Sumter County Sheriff's Department.
Thank you. Knew someone who had the blue lights, looked really nice, but they were used while riding around the community and they soon discovered that this wasn't allowed. Didn't realize they could be used while on the cart path...sort of makes sense, one generally doesn't find police and emergency vehicles on the multi-modal paths.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Thank you. Knew someone who had the blue lights, looked really nice, but they were used while riding around the community and they soon discovered that this wasn't allowed. Didn't realize they could be used while on the cart path...sort of makes sense, one generally doesn't find police and emergency vehicles on the multi-modal paths.
The Blue lights you speak of. Are they emergency light blue or the color of the new headlights blue? Because they have what is called HID lights and they look very blue. But are put into many new model vehicles.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckcantrell View Post
The Blue lights you speak of. Are they emergency light blue or the color of the new headlights blue? Because they have what is called HID lights and they look very blue. But are put into many new model vehicles.
They are LED lights that glow blue, not white blue...and the lights are under the cart on each side. They look really nice and make the cart more visible at night. The white lights really make the cart visible, too, and your cart isn't mistaken for an official police or rescue vehicle. These aren't the HID headlights that we're talking about.

Sometimes you'll see carts in the squares at night with the undercart lights....they always remind me of Christmas....not sure why, but they do and I think the lights are tres cool!

Here's a picture with blue lights...not allowed here.
The Villages Florida
Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
George, what color lights are you planning on installing? If I'm not mistaken, blue is not allowed here...something about emergency vehicles using those colors.

Maybe someone else knows more about this.
Hi Pooh!! Yes, it is my understanding that red and blue lights are not allowed while driving because they are reserved for police and fire.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM

The led under cart lights use far less current than headlights.
If you have a cart where they take headlight power from two 8 volt batteries in series and apply 16 volts to the 12 volt headlights get a voltage reducer for both the headlights and the under cart lights.
You can connect led 12 volt lamps to the same power source as your 12 volt headlights if you power the headlamps from 12 volts.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Eternal Member
Default Led lights

Your cart has 12 volt batteries and the led's can be hooked to one.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

Thank you Frank
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 PM

I'd be a little careful hooking up your 12v lights to a single battery. My 2009 EZGO came with the headlights run off one of the 12v batteries. That caused that battery to drop in voltage faster than the other batteries and as a result the cart controller thought that the batteries were low overall and would put me into limp home mode much earlier than expected. EZGO installed a converter so that the 48v system draws on all batteries to run the 12v headlights now. That works great. If your cart already has such a converter then just connect the LEDs to that source of power.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Eternal Member
Default Voltage reducer

We agree about installing voltage reducers and it is better for balancing the voltage draw evenly across all batteries. The type of LED lights for this cart will not add 5% to the existing conditions of the cart. The new cart dealers should be installing the reducers when they put the accessories on the cart. A good aftermarket voltage reducer will cost up to $200. The new cart dealers get upset when we recommend reducers on carts under warranty. I am glad the advice came from an owner rather than us a dealer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.