Too Many Remotes!

Old 08-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Default Too Many Remotes!

I recently purchased a Vizio TV and added an older Samsung sound bar to it. I want to control the volume of the sound bar with the TV remote. I’ve searched online and tried what was suggested without success. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? FYI-we don’t have a cable remote because we stream TV through Roku/YouTube TV.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Been down that route, but I gave up trying to configure and maintain a 'universal' remote every time I bought a new component once my 12 year old grandson moved to CA...

so now we keep all 6 remotes in a basket, which we refer to as 'our remote location'

life was a lot simpler when all we had to do was to get up off the couch to change the channel, move the 'rabbit ears' to get a better picture or turn the television on/off....and we only needed 4 or 5 channels (not 350 stations) to enjoy the television

Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 AM

Not sure if it will work but look into the Harmony remotes.

Harmony Remotes, Universal Remote Controls | Logitech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
I recently purchased a Vizio TV and added an older Samsung sound bar to it. I want to control the volume of the sound bar with the TV remote. I’ve searched online and tried what was suggested without success. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? FYI-we don’t have a cable remote because we stream TV through Roku/YouTube TV.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,317 Posts

I would find a 10 year old, much better at electronics than us old folks.

Have a 9 year old grandson and he helps us regularly via zoom.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Not sure if it will work but look into the Harmony remotes.

Harmony Remotes, Universal Remote Controls | Logitech
I second harmony remotes!

Old 08-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
It may be complicated, but here is how to do it, if you have the correct connections. Check the Visio TV for an optical audio output or two RCA output connections (left and right). The RCA stereo connections may be a single 3.5 mm plugin instead. Check your soundbar for an opitcal input or two RCA input connections, or a 3.5 mm plugin. Then, buy either an optical cable or a stereo RCA cable. Connect one end to the TV and the other end to the soundbar. Go into the TV setup menu and select "external speakers". Note that I have found that some TVs will not output sound through an optical cable, so you would need to use the RCA stereo connections. If this works, the TV volume controls will control the soundbar, but you may need to leave the soundbar on all the time or turn it on and off with the soundbar remote. I would just leave it on all the time.

Another possibility is that the TV remote is a universal remote and it can be synchronized to the soundbar. Need to read the manual for that. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:16 PM

If you have a TV where the headphone jack volume can be controlled via the TV remote (Sony TVs allow this and last I looked Samsung did not which is why I switched to Sony) then all you need to do is add a small cheap amp to boost the headphone feed high enough to drive speakers. On Amazon, Fosi Audio has them for about $70. So you end up with one wire from headphone jack into the amp, and the left and right channels out to speakers or a sound bar via RCA plugged wires. The amp is always on (mine has been on for 2 years - never gets warm and uses next to no power). We only stream via Roku so we only have one remote - the Roku remote - which turns the TV on/off, selects channels, adjusts volume. You do need to get a higher grade Roku than the basic one to get a remote with on/off and volume controls.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It may be complicated, but here is how to do it, if you have the correct connections. Check the Visio TV for an optical audio output or two RCA output connections (left and right). The RCA stereo connections may be a single 3.5 mm plugin instead. Check your soundbar for an opitcal input or two RCA input connections, or a 3.5 mm plugin. Then, buy either an optical cable or a stereo RCA cable. Connect one end to the TV and the other end to the soundbar. Go into the TV setup menu and select "external speakers". Note that I have found that some TVs will not output sound through an optical cable, so you would need to use the RCA stereo connections. If this works, the TV volume controls will control the soundbar, but you may need to leave the soundbar on all the time or turn it on and off with the soundbar remote. I would just leave it on all the time.

Another possibility is that the TV remote is a universal remote and it can be synchronized to the soundbar. Need to read the manual for that. Good luck.
I have them connected via optical cable and the TV speakers are off I’ll double check to see if I turned on the external speakers. Thx for your help.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
I have them connected via optical cable and the TV speakers are off I’ll double check to see if I turned on the external speakers. Thx for your help.
Yes, you need to select the "external speaker" setting on the TV menu. That will disable the TV speakers and output all sound to the soundbar. If that doesn't work, see if there is a stereo output connection on the TV and an input to the soundbar. On some TVs, the optical connection does not function. Also, make sure that the input setting on the soundbar matches the input that you have the cable plugged in to.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-02-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 AM
Default Harmony remote will solve all your remote needs

Harmony remote works great. Check Facebook marketplace.
Logitech Harmony Remote - Internet & Media Streamers - The Villages, Florida | Facebook Marketplace

Old 08-03-2020, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

Try using a HDMI cable between the tv and sound bar, Plug the cable in the HDMI ARC port on tv and sound bar.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:52 AM

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your suggestions.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:36 AM

I have had good results with my harmony remote. Works good with the sound bar but sometimes screws up switching the Television input between blue ray player and Roku inputs.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

The Harmony remote is the answer. I've been using one for over 5 years now. If you get the Harmony Pro with the Hub, it can even control your Roku and/or Firestick. It lets you set up activities - i.e. if you want to watch Amazon Prime, it turns on your sound system and sets it to the right output, turns on your TV, sets it to the right input, turns on your Roku and sets it to the Amazon app. All with one button push. If you have Alexa or Google Home, you can even say "Google, turn on Amazon" and it will do it for you.

Once everything is running, the remote can change volume on the soundbar (or TV, depends on how you set it up), change apps on the Roku or channels on the TV, and perform things like pause, FF, and rewind.

It really is an amazing device.

Note that without the Harmony Hub, the remote cannot run the newer Roku's and Firesticks. The remote is IR only, and the Roku is WIFI - you need the Hub to communicate over your home network to the Roku (or Firestick).

Old 08-03-2020, 06:57 AM

I’ve used the Logitech Harmony remote product for years and have great success using. 1 remote controls up to 6 comports. Buy on Black Friday for best $$$. They take a little time to set up but superior in every way to other universal remotes.

Tags
remote, bar, sound, success, accomplished

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.