Too Many Remotes!

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Not sure if it will work but look into the Harmony remotes.

Harmony Remotes, Universal Remote Controls | Logitech
Yes, I have used these before and they work great!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:44 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default Caavo

works great for me. have firestick, stereo amp, tv, cd player, sound bar all connected.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM

I run a 7.1 home theater system (with separate components) in my home. When I switched from Directv to streaming, I was able to program my Harmony remote to work with my Roku. I have used Harmony remotes for years and it is the easiest option to having one remote control all of your electronics.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
I recently purchased a Vizio TV and added an older Samsung sound bar to it. I want to control the volume of the sound bar with the TV remote. I’ve searched online and tried what was suggested without success. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? FYI-we don’t have a cable remote because we stream TV through Roku/YouTube TV.
While this doesn’t help you, it may help others. I buy only models with high reviews from Consumer Reports. All of the top ten flat screen televisions they have reviewed are either Sony or LG. All ten. Six of those are LG. Twenty-two of televisions are rated above the top-rated Vizio. There are lots of Samsungs in the top twenty, but none in the top ten. I pay no attention to advertising for televisions, as its purpose is selling things, not being honest.

I have two LG Smart TVs I bought at Sam’s Club. I’m writing to praise LG’s Smart TV Magic Remote Control. It’s the only remote control I use. Eight years, ago, when I bought my first LG, the Magic Remote was included. When I added another one three years ago, the Magic Remote was not included, but I was able to buy one on Amazon. I LOVE it. It’s like a mouse for a TV. Instead of using the mouse on a hard surface, though, you wave it in the air and the cursor appears on the tv screen. This is so much easier than having to move left or right by clicking, like some computer before the Macintosh came out in 1984. The Magic Remote has voice activation if you want it. You can just tell it what you want to find. It has fewer buttons than most remote controls because it doesn’t need them. It has everything it needs, though.

I should mention that I only have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I haven’t used it with a hundred channels. I know it will work with YouTube, too, and lots of other high-end channels through Netflix, and local tv stations with an antenna of some sort. Anything found on a Smart TV. However, if you have one, there’s a good chance that you can put away all your other remote controls. (You will still need a different one for your DVD player, if you use one.)

https://www.amazon.com/LG-MR19BA-Sma...6459834&sr=8-6
Old 08-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

I’m very impressed with all this electronics hi tech talk and also feeling like I’m missing out on quite a lot, but my low tech brain is saying be happy with just changing the stations with the direct tv remote and keep on enjoying PBS, TCM and NFL ticket and save yourself a headache
Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

I have a Sony tv and Bose sound bar plus a cable box and a Roku. I have been able to get all of them on my cable remote except the Roku. I just followed the directions I found online. I can use the tv’s remote for cable too but not the sound bar.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Default Doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
I recently purchased a Vizio TV and added an older Samsung sound bar to it. I want to control the volume of the sound bar with the TV remote. I’ve searched online and tried what was suggested without success. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? FYI-we don’t have a cable remote because we stream TV through Roku/YouTube TV.
We have the exact equipment as you. Visio, sound bar, Roku. Had a professional set it up. We still ended up controlling Roku with it's remote and sound with the Visio remote. I recommend hiring a pro. I have no idea how he did it.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:26 AM

RCA universal remote . Have used this remote for about ten years on two different TV's LG and TCL from Walmart. Controls Samsung sound bar and will also control SAT-CBL-STREAMING
Old 08-03-2020, 09:29 AM

Think I paid Twelve dollars for it . You can get it at Home Depot, Low's, Walmart
Old 08-03-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I would find a 10 year old, much better at electronics than us old folks.

Have a 9 year old grandson and he helps us regularly via zoom.
That is great advice. When our Granddaughter was 6 she wanted mom to help her setup some new A/V equipment. Mom was on the phone, told GD she would be there in a few. After a few GD told Mom, "Never mind, I hooked it up and synced the remotes. 10 years later it is still hooked up.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Yes for Harmony and Best Buy geeks will come and set the whole thing up (for a fee I’m sure, we had it done when they installed the tv). We run tv, sound bar, dvd all from one remote.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
I second harmony remotes!
I third Harmony Remotes
Old 08-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabreyjk View Post
That is great advice. When our Granddaughter was 6 she wanted mom to help her setup some new A/V equipment. Mom was on the phone, told GD she would be there in a few. After a few GD told Mom, "Never mind, I hooked it up and synced the remotes. 10 years later it is still hooked up.
Amazing how these little ones have such aptitudes for electronics.

Few months ago he directed us to zoom and even sent us a tutorial.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:53 PM

As a stockholder in Energizer Holdings I would suggest you keep the status quo.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

We totally stream with Amazon Firetv stick it controls volume mute on and off with sound bar Also side loaded steaming tv/movie apps are easy by jail breaking that can not be done on Roku. Streaming TV costs $20 monthly with Orlando channels, entertainment, sports, News. Only issue is no recording capability.
Closed Thread

Tags
remote, bar, sound, success, accomplished

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.