Need a top-line auto glass installer?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Location: Augusta, GA, West Germany, France, Aurora, Colorado, Lexington, Virginia, Cooper City, FL, Villages
Default Need a top-line auto glass installer?

Auto Glass Installation
Over the years, I've saved time and effort by consulting Villagers' experiences on most contractors and repair work. So, I'm paying it forward with my unsolicited personal testimonial.

I recently had to have my late model Honda SUV front windshield glass replaced, but wanted only the best in the area. I had a bad experience years ago in Colorado when one company tried to use an export glass part described as "OEM" but in fact, was inferior. Telephone poles looked wavy and a sideways glance would reveal purple fringing. My insurance, USAA, did the right thing, but not before this national franchise installer they used went through three replacements. Finally, I insisted on a PPG OEG replacement.
And, yes, as a Virgo and 30-year Army guy, I'm picky. I don't want to use the big company many insurance companies use by default, a sloppy installation with torn seals, excess sealant on the car, and I want a glass without problems, that looks and fits like the original.

I called my favorite, trusted body shop manager, Mark Hyland, Bill Bryan Chrysler-Jeep, to ask who does his dealer new car glass replacement. He said he uses Big John's Customs, which are are expert and high quality. Big John's Customs, 703 Thomas Avenue, Suite 104, Leesburg, (352) 787-1113. They HAVE to get it right.

The team of Lonnie, Mandy and John understand what it takes to satisfy Villagers' discriminating standards. I had to work with USAA who uses Safelight as their contractor, but if you insist on your own installer, they will grant your request, as long as it is reasonable and falls within certain normal parameters.

John does most of his work at the residence your car is garaged, and is very professional and careful. Careful is the watchword. He had a piece of glass that met or exceeded my Honda original glass and with 12 years experience, went to work under my eagle-eye inspection, which he understood derived from me being snake-bitten by the national chain I described earlier.

I recommend him highly for any of your auto glass work. After installation, he cleaned up the area of his installation and the car windshield looks as if it hasn't been touched from the factory install.

Lastly, as I was talking to my insurance company by cell phone-linked car speaker telling them I wanted to use my own installer, a panel truck from the very national auto glass company I didn't want appeared beside me as I slowed to stop at a red light on 466A near Colony Shopping Center, and blew through the red light. Irony or a fateful incident?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Thanks for the "heads up."
Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 AM

Good info, Thank's..........
I will talk to Big John if I ever need replacement glass for my classic car.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Craven View Post
Auto Glass Installation
Over the years, I've saved time and effort by consulting Villagers' experiences on most contractors and repair work. So, I'm paying it forward with my unsolicited personal testimonial.

I recently had to have my late model Honda SUV front windshield glass replaced, but wanted only the best in the area. I had a bad experience years ago in Colorado when one company tried to use an export glass part described as "OEM" but in fact, was inferior. Telephone poles looked wavy and a sideways glance would reveal purple fringing. My insurance, USAA, did the right thing, but not before this national franchise installer they used went through three replacements. Finally, I insisted on a PPG OEG replacement.
And, yes, as a Virgo and 30-year Army guy, I'm picky. I don't want to use the big company many insurance companies use by default, a sloppy installation with torn seals, excess sealant on the car, and I want a glass without problems, that looks and fits like the original.

I called my favorite, trusted body shop manager, Mark Hyland, Bill Bryan Chrysler-Jeep, to ask who does his dealer new car glass replacement. He said he uses Big John's Customs, which are are expert and high quality. Big John's Customs, 703 Thomas Avenue, Suite 104, Leesburg, (352) 787-1113. They HAVE to get it right.

The team of Lonnie, Mandy and John understand what it takes to satisfy Villagers' discriminating standards. I had to work with USAA who uses Safelight as their contractor, but if you insist on your own installer, they will grant your request, as long as it is reasonable and falls within certain normal parameters.

John does most of his work at the residence your car is garaged, and is very professional and careful. Careful is the watchword. He had a piece of glass that met or exceeded my Honda original glass and with 12 years experience, went to work under my eagle-eye inspection, which he understood derived from me being snake-bitten by the national chain I described earlier.

I recommend him highly for any of your auto glass work. After installation, he cleaned up the area of his installation and the car windshield looks as if it hasn't been touched from the factory install.

Lastly, as I was talking to my insurance company by cell phone-linked car speaker telling them I wanted to use my own installer, a panel truck from the very national auto glass company I didn't want appeared beside me as I slowed to stop at a red light on 466A near Colony Shopping Center, and blew through the red light. Irony or a fateful incident?
I am an insurance guy and would never had placed anything but an OEM part on a Honda Product. the other issue with windshield replacements use to be improper installation (water leaking). Glass companies have gotten better over the years.

Bear in mind that part of my job once was to go back and reinspect vehicles that had repaired to be sure that what we wrote was done. if we replaced a quarter panel and then discovered it as repaired or agreed to all OEM parts and the body shops used aftermarket parts. We would then visit the policyholder ( car owner) and ask how s/he wanted us to proceed?

My point is its not always the insurance companies policies that are the problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
glass, work, car, installer, auto

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.