Recommendation for new tires

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2021, 06:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Please tell me what you "double doubt Jenkins said" Why in the world would I lie about that?
Poster is not doubting that Jenkins told you that you need tires. Poster is doubting that you actually do need tires, implying that Jenkins is lying to you to make a hefty sale.

FWIW: I also have a Honda Fit (2017 w/43,000 miles) and Jenkins told me two service appointments ago that I should probably get new tires next time. When "next time" came around (and I hadn't driven very much) they told me I didn't need them yet. I was glad to hear that because at that point I was not sure how long I would keep the car.

I'm thinking of taking some road trips soon and I might buy new tires one of these days just to be on the safe side. We have more or less decided to keep the car for a couple more years so why not bite the bullet ...

Good luck with your car.

kathy
Old 08-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
So if your car sits mainly in the garage, and you don't drive long distances, and you don't put lots of miles on the car at 5K per year, then don't buy expensive tires. by the cheapest set of tires you can, as you are neither wearing them out nor demanding high performance.

You should target no more than $100 per tire
If the tires are still within their wear life, they probably don't need replaced. I had a set of TOYO LT tires on my 04 Dodge Ram 2500. They were made in 2006. I sold the truck a few months back, with the same set of tires on it. Yes, they were dry rotting, but they held the road just fine. I used the truck for trips to the dump and to plow snow. Neither of which involved getting more than 20 miles away from home so I kept them on there. They had probably 40k miles in 15ish years and still almost an 1/2 inch of tread left.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
My car is 6 years old but only has 30,000 miles on it. However, I was told I need new tires, I assume this is due to "dry rot" even though my car spends most of the time in the garage.

Anyway, I need new tires, but Honda dealership wanted over $700 for tires on a Honda Fit, very small car/tires.

Can you recommend a reputable place? I know NOT to go to Tire Choice, but is another tire shop like Tire Kingdom or something like that best or a local garage like Wildwood tire or even just go to Walmart or Sam's Club

Thank you for your advice
Go to Wildwood tire and ask them to look at your tires to see if you need to replace them. They have always been great to work with and honest. They aren’t just a tire store they are a full service automotive shop and open Saturdays til noon
Old 08-19-2021, 05:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Tires

In order of preference
Wildwood tire
Barnett tire
Pep boys
Walmart

Tires definitely do dry rot and the plies can separate depending on the brand of tire you have. If your eyes are bad dry rot and show itself by having the air pressure at lower and lower over the course of several days or weeks. If you use your car sparsely and the only things you should be concerned about are the ratings for a wet traction and you can get yourself a car with a lower guarantee for mileage. I once made a mistake of getting a 90,000 mile tire but only putting on about 30,000 miles over the course of 6 years and I overpaid by 50%. Most good tire brands even on their low end tires will guarantee for 40 or 50,000 miles. However most guarantees are really worthless as they will prorate everything. PS make sure the tires you buy are not made in China but are either made in the US France or Korea as there are many brands especially if you go to Walmart from China. Good tires can be had between $400 and $800 for a set of four
Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

Pep Boys do a good fair priced job, we have used them.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
My car is 6 years old but only has 30,000 miles on it. However, I was told I need new tires, I assume this is due to "dry rot" even though my car spends most of the time in the garage.

Anyway, I need new tires, but Honda dealership wanted over $700 for tires on a Honda Fit, very small car/tires.

Can you recommend a reputable place? I know NOT to go to Tire Choice, but is another tire shop like Tire Kingdom or something like that best or a local garage like Wildwood tire or even just go to Walmart or Sam's Club

WalMart. Got Goodyear tires with 60k warrantee, mounted, lifetime balance & rotate, out the door for $500 for a Subaru Forester, a much larger car than a Honda Fit. Also, Sumter Tire, either location in Wildwood, was very good with my previous car, a Chevy Malibu.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:33 AM

Wildwood Tire always seems to be in the ballpark. They are family-owned and always fair. Had dealership tell I needed a new tire due to a nail. Wildwood was able to repair and saved be a bundle. The tires on my last new car only lasted about 18,000 miles. I am told the issue is the roundabouts. They wear out your tires faster. And it wasn't Wildwood that said I needed them, it was me going to them saying the tread was already worn out.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:34 AM

Second opinion is definitely in order. 30k on the tires is prolly 1/2 their useful life. The car being in the garage has protected the tires from harmful UV rays which enhance rubber deterioration. If your peace of mind is an issue, look for a sale. There's always a sale.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
If the tires are still within their wear life, they probably don't need replaced. I had a set of TOYO LT tires on my 04 Dodge Ram 2500. They were made in 2006. I sold the truck a few months back, with the same set of tires on it. Yes, they were dry rotting, but they held the road just fine. I used the truck for trips to the dump and to plow snow. Neither of which involved getting more than 20 miles away from home so I kept them on there. They had probably 40k miles in 15ish years and still almost an 1/2 inch of tread left.
40K in 15yr = 3K per year on a truck tire is different than a passenger vehicle with safety factors. Totally apples and oranges. You don't go to Orlando or Georgia, and the Honda might venture out at 60 mph

The OP has a lower safety factor tire being on a passenger car, drives more miles than your sample size 1 at 20 mile radius, and is looking to replace tires for safety reasons. Safety is a hidden cost, because it avoid something that might happen, but one can't prove a future event happening or not.

Having worked in dangerous industries where I knew people who died at work and innocents perished due to poor safety decisions, his decision to buy tires has less risk for his use, but he shouldn't overpay for the level of safety
Old 08-19-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I just put 4 Bridgestone tires on my Honda Civic at Costco. You should never skip on brakes or tires
Old 08-19-2021, 07:36 AM

We did some price comparisons and went with Pep Boys on 42 (next to the Circle K and in front of the Publix) and were quite pleased.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 AM

My wife's tires have always dry rotted. Many years ago steal belt slipped due to tire rot. We replace tires about every 5 to 6 years based on appearance of rubber. Dangerous to drive on interstate in August with old tires.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Well I can't make much of a place recommendation, I go over to the coast for mine. You should be fine with a Honda dealer, really the pricing isn't all that much different any more.

More important is the tire. Brands do matter in Florida, as the brands that last better meaning less wear and rot are (in no particular order) Pirelli, Bridgestone, Toyo. Overall road comfort is important as you don't require nitrogen fill either - these 3 are the best of the breed,
Old 08-19-2021, 07:55 AM
Default Not dry rot

Quote:

6 year old tires should not have dry rot. Use the Lincoln penny test to check the thread, and question the motive of whoever said you need new tires. Were they trying to sell you something? Still in doubt? Go over to Sumter Tire in Wildwood.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:58 AM
Default Tire Rack

Tires do age out. I bought a used thunderbird. The car felt unstable and slipped out going around corners. I didn't need a tire store to tell me I needed new tires.

If you are serious about buying the correct tire for your Honda, google Tire Rack and use their "find the right tire" tool. II doubt you will be doing, high-speed driving, auto crossing, or driving on a lot of snow and ice. But there are still other factors to consider in your choice. Tire Rack has more choices at more prices than you will find anywhere. You don't have to buy from them, but llocal stores are more than happy to install the drop-shipped tires and recycle your used tires. BTW I have no financial interest in Tire Rack, or this post.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires, honda, garage, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.