Recommendation for new tires

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2021, 12:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Recommendation for new tires

My car is 6 years old but only has 30,000 miles on it. However, I was told I need new tires, I assume this is due to "dry rot" even though my car spends most of the time in the garage.

Anyway, I need new tires, but Honda dealership wanted over $700 for tires on a Honda Fit, very small car/tires.

Can you recommend a reputable place? I know NOT to go to Tire Choice, but is another tire shop like Tire Kingdom or something like that best or a local garage like Wildwood tire or even just go to Walmart or Sam's Club

Thank you for your advice
Old 08-18-2021, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
My car is 6 years old but only has 30,000 miles on it. However, I was told I need new tires, I assume this is due to "dry rot" even though my car spends most of the time in the garage.

Anyway, I need new tires, but Honda dealership wanted over $700 for tires on a Honda Fit, very small car/tires.

Can you recommend a reputable place? I know NOT to go to Tire Choice, but is another tire shop like Tire Kingdom or something like that best or a local garage like Wildwood tire or even just go to Walmart or Sam's Club

We always use Costco or Sam's to get tires, but having said that have not purchased locally yet. Their tire septs are normally very efficient and good
Old 08-18-2021, 04:21 AM
Veteran member

Get a second opinion at a tire store. Doubt you need them if the tread is good. Double doubt if Jenkins said that. Recently the Goodyear store price matched Sams club for me. Wildwood Tire and Sumter Tire are highly rated .

Quote:

Old 08-18-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Walmart on 466 has a good tire department and priced right.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:

I bought 4 new Michelin tires for my SUV several months ago. I got prices from Wildwood Tire, Sumter Tire, Goodyear near Home Depot, and Firestone on Rt 466. Sam's Club did not have any tires for my vehicle. The prices ranged from $925 to $1,160, for the exact same tires. I bought them from Firestone for $925.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I have had great service and very good prices from Wildwood Tire (very close to 301 on 44).

Also, go to www.tirerack.com, there you can look at prices and rating for various tires, and pick what you feel is best. The last time I did this, Wildwood Tire was actually able to beat the price, or get tires with higher ratings at the same price as what i was looking at.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

GOODYEAR. Most of my life. No problem yet.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:27 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

It may be tentative, but tires do have an expiration date. There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left.

I had similar issue tire dealer would rotate tires refused to spin balance due to age and signs of cracking on sidewall.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Get a second opinion at a tire store. Doubt you need them if the tread is good. Double doubt if Jenkins said that. Recently the Goodyear store price matched Sams club for me. Wildwood Tire and Sumter Tire are highly rated .
Please tell me what you "double doubt Jenkins said" Why in the world would I lie about that?
Old 08-18-2021, 02:23 PM
Gold member

Barnett tire in Leesburg. Family owned for generations. Knowledgeable, with competitive pricing. Used them for our 15 years here.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

So if your car sits mainly in the garage, and you don't drive long distances, and you don't put lots of miles on the car at 5K per year, then don't buy expensive tires. by the cheapest set of tires you can, as you are neither wearing them out nor demanding high performance.

You should target no more than $100 per tire
Old 08-18-2021, 03:10 PM

There's a few areas I try not to skimp maintenance wise on a vehicle, tires are one of them. You don't have to pay a fortune to get highly rated tires and one area living in Florida I'm very focused on is their wet weather rating. The difference in the rain could end up 'saving' you in the long run. Favorite tire? Michelin, but specific tires not their entire range. Bang for the buck? Cooper, most made in the U.S.A. not China and do well in most rating categories.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 807 Posts

Michelin tires, hands down.
Great tires

BTW. Sam's club will order any tire for you. Free mounting, tire rotation for life, and free puncher repair for free,
all this at any Sam's club nation wide.

Watch for a sale from time to time.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:

Walmart.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
IMO that’s good if don’t plan on no long road trips and just putting around villages and check tire pressure monthly. That’s when most likely old tires (1 out 4) fail on long road trips.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires, honda, garage, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.