217 million for a base ball player

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Gold member
Cool 217 million for a base ball player

It boggles my mind that a major league ball team would offer a pitcher a seven year contract for 217 million dollars ...
Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Veteran member

Now you have a clue why the rest of the world dislikes Americans.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 PM

They don't hate Americans, just the Red Sox !
Old 12-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Platinum member
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
Now you have a clue why the rest of the world dislikes Americans.
Is this to be taken seriously?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Platinum member
Default Television money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
It boggles my mind that a major league ball team would offer a pitcher a seven year contract for 217 million dollars ...
Most sports teams are spending the share of television money they receive. Owners would not pay if it was their own money.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The simple fact is that they are going to pay him that much money because he's worth it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Platinum member

We Americans do love our sports, don't we? I'm as guilty as the next one. I love baseball. I also love nurses, teachers, and the guys who pick up my trash every week, but I'm not willing to pay $100 bucks for a seat to watch them do their thing, and also pay $8 for a hot dog and another $9 for a beer to consume while I watch them, although in reality, it's far more important that they do their job well in the scheme of things. That's why Price gets those bucks!

As an aside, I'd sure rather see Price get this money than some Wall Street banker (and they do get that much or more in many cases) who doesn't do anything other than manipulate our economy, usually in a way that doesn't benefit many of us. At least when Price throws a curve ball you can see it.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Our military are paid...spit and scratch....
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Price gets 31M a year same as Lester for the Cubs. Lester was 5 years contract and Price 7 year contract. My 55" television and my easy chair is the best seat to watch the game.

However, I spent just north of $500 total to watch the Cubs beat the Cards in the playoff this year. Priceless!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Sage

Back in the old days of baseball, the owners had all of the power. If a ballplayer did not sign a contract , he wasn't able to play baseball for any team.

When Ralph Kiner told the owners he wanted a raise from 20K to 27K, the owners asked him what placed the team had finished last year. He replied, last. The owner said, we can finish in last place without you.

When the owners gave the players union to right to arbitrate, the balance of power shifted to the ballpayers. Ball players that were making the minimum of 30,000 per year were able to arbitrate and make 2 million per year times 2,000. We are talking about role players, not the superstars. The salary structure of baseball was forever altered. This event threw the economics of baseball out of whack and not the few superstars, that get enormous sums of money!!!

When free agency went into effect, the salaries skyrocketed for superstars as teams bidded, to get the best free agent. I for one now love, (being scarcastic), that teams pay 50M, to get the rights to sign, a foreign born player and then another several hundred million, for him to play.

Ballplayers view themselves as entertainers and should be paid accordingly. We the fans, are suckers because the prices to see a ballgame, are absorbed, by us.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
We Americans do love our sports, don't we? I'm as guilty as the next one. I love baseball. I also love nurses, teachers, and the guys who pick up my trash every week, but I'm not willing to pay $100 bucks for a seat to watch them do their thing, and also pay $8 for a hot dog and another $9 for a beer to consume while I watch them, although in reality, it's far more important that they do their job well in the scheme of things. That's why Price gets those bucks!

As an aside, I'd sure rather see Price get this money than some Wall Street banker (and they do get that much or more in many cases) who doesn't do anything other than manipulate our economy, usually in a way that doesn't benefit many of us. At least when Price throws a curve ball you can see it.
Ah, an economist in our midst.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Actually I think that most of the money made by baseball teams comes from television advertising.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Actually I think that most of the money made by baseball teams comes from television advertising.
So that means we all pay, in the price of the products we buy.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Sage

You gotta be rich to go to a baseball game. That's un-American or at least it used to be un-American.
Sitting in front of a tv is not the same, especially when your with your dad or with your kids.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran member

don't forget pay for view , sports channel $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, everthing comes out of your pocket to pay them.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, million, pitcher, offer, 217jester, dollars, team, contract, year, player, base, boggles, major, mind, league

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.