Baltimore Orioles Talk

Old 09-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts
Default Baltimore Orioles Talk

They'll be playing baseball in Baltimore this October!!! Even with 11 games left in the season, they've already clinched the American League East. The Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Rays will be taking the month off. On June 16th the O's were only one game above 500 and trailed Toronto by 5 games. They now lead Toronto by 13.5 games and the Yankees by 14.5 games.

Even though Manny and Matt both were injured and Chris suspended, the next man up came through!!! Great Job Buck!!! The year the Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV the Maryland Terps were basketball National Champions. It's been only a year since the Ravens won Super Bowl XLVII, but the O's are long overdue.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 09-17-2014, 05:58 PM

I remember 1997, it looked good then, but I wish them luck.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Default How 'bout those O's Hon?

Any other Oriole fans here? After all these years, finally an Orioles team with a chance to win it all. I lived in Baltimore from the sixties to 1991 and saw and rooted for Brooks, Frank, Boog, Cal, four twenty game winners in a season, Earl and all the rest. It's fun to finally see another contender. It will be fun to see how far they can go. O - R - I - O - L - E - S!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 08:11 AM

I'm a Yankee fan ... but I do have a soft spot for the O's.
I watched the O's farm team in Elmira, NY in the early 60s. Earl Weaver managed the team ... and the roster include future MLB O's players: Jim Palmer, Mark Belanger, Davey Johnson, Paul Blair, Eddie Watt, Mark Belanger, Andy Etchebarren, Curt Blefary, and Darold Knowles. These players drew my interest when I was young.

I am looking forward to the O's vs Royals match-up.

Who would've thought that would be the two teams back in April?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Go Royals!!!

Who wudda thunk?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Sage

I usually pull for the underdog, and if this was any other year I would be for the Royals. I've been an Oriole's fan all my life since I born about 9 blocks from Memorial Stadium on 33rd St. My first O's game was in July 1959 when I was 9 years old. It wasn't a great game for the O's that day but I remember the game pretty well, since the Indians' Rocky Colavito hit 4 homers in the game and Cleveland's left fielder Minnie Minosa we gave a hard time all game long, but he was funny and he liked us O's fans.

My favorite player in the 60's was Louie Aparacio. He played my favorite position shortstop, and he was small like me but a really good fielder. At a spring training game in 1966 as the team was boarding the bus in St. Petersburg, I handed Louie a dozen photos of the stars of the team and asked if he could get them signed. After a couple of minutes, he opened the window on the bus and said, here you go. He had all the photos signed, there was Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Davy Johnson, Paul Blair and Boog Powell to name a few. Go O's!!!! Isn't That Orange Pretty!!

The Villages Florida
Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM

I will be at my computer Thursday at noon trying to get playoff tickets. I know super slim chance for ordinary people but I will give it a chance. I'm glad to see two smaller market teams going for the American League pennant. I'm sure the television advertisers don't care for it.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Platinum member

O O O O O O Oh great!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Taught and coached the Ripken boys so I had been a big fan all the years that Cal played-since then not so much-gave up my season tickets after the fans started to get too rowdy and used language I didn't want my family to have to endear. Do have to admit I have followed them ever since Buck took over-he has done a great job with them and made them fun to watch and follow again-sure wish I was in the stadium now to hear the crowd roar-nothing better than that!!!!
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Sage

I went to Camden Yards for a playoff game in 1997 against Seattle. In my past life I had a mail order business and the pitcher Randy Johnson was a customer for about ten years. He was still with Seattle and he left me 2 tickets for the game. I had to go the Radisson Hotel on E. Fayette and pick up the tickets before the game. The only problem, they were behind the 3rd base dugout with all Seattle wives and friends around us. We eventually moved, couldn't go out to the right field standing area because they had put in temporary bleachers. So we headed to center field standing area behind the bullpens. Turned out to be a good area, kind of a rowdy bunch giving the Seattle pitchers a hard time. We lost the game but won the series, however we lost the next series to the Yankees. It seems the O's playoff crowds this year are really getting a good show and the fans are giving it right back.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 PM

I don't trust betting odds from any source ... but anyways, for conversation purposes, International Business Times has the following breakdown:

Starting Pitching: Edge to the Royals
Bullpen: Edge to the Orioles
Batting: Edge to the Orioles
Bench: Edge to the Royals
Manager: Edge to the Orioles
Betting Odds: Orioles are 2/3 favorites to win the series
Prediction: Orioles in 7

Tags
talk, orioles, baltimore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.