Baseball rule changes for 2023

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2022, 06:38 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
You sure trust that box. Read the official MLB definition of the strike zone. Often the box isn’t even right according to that definition. Plus, the strike zone is 3 dimensional…due to home plate having depth. That really matters on breaking pitches. The box doesn’t reflect that at all.

I think balls and strikes will be automated someday, but I don’t think the tech is quite ready…at least the way it’s shown on the screen today.
They do have 3D coverage for pitches but it's currently for replay to show how the pitcher's throws are working. It's will be used in the near future because they have tried it in the minor leagues already. I look forward to it. The umpire's can call one pitch a strike and the next same pitch a ball. Saw a bad call the other day that cost the Ray's a game with runners in scoring position.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:54 AM

I don't understand the elimination of defensive shifts. Heck, these are highly paid pros and if a pro player can't learn to hit where the fielders ain't they shouldn't be in pro ball or hit into more outs because of their deficiencies.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maistocars View Post
I don't understand the elimination of defensive shifts. Heck, these are highly paid pros and if a pro player can't learn to hit where the fielders ain't they shouldn't be in pro ball or hit into more outs because of their deficiencies.
I agree. Everything has to be pulled and home runs rule. Unfortunately it takes the excitement out of the game.

Too many strikeouts and not enough balls in play
Old 09-10-2022, 07:34 AM

Every other inning should be “kickball” where pitcher rolls a soccer ball and the “batter” has to kick it…..I’d watch that…
Old 09-10-2022, 07:40 AM
Default NJ loves big balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
MLB officially passes major rules changes for 2023 season.

MLB officially passes major rules changes for 2023 season
Bigger baseballs will be good for NJ, economy. Bigger baseballs will require more “Jersey Mud” to rub them down before each game creating more jobs. NJ loves Big Balls!
Old 09-10-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
They do have 3D coverage for pitches but it's currently for replay to show how the pitcher's throws are working…
I’m aware of that, but that is not the same as the actual 3D strike zone. The box shown for the strike zone is just 2D, with the 3D pitch graphic simply showing where that pitch crossed the 2D strike zone box.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
Every other inning should be “kickball” where pitcher rolls a soccer ball and the “batter” has to kick it…..I’d watch that…
Would be a rather empty parking lot.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:11 AM
Default Baseball Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykoca427@gmail.com View Post
I am for the changes that are being implemented. I remember watching a Dodger pitcher - Baez - taking about two minutes to throw each pitch. I don't understand why the players could not have solved the problem of stacking the infield all to one side by bunting or hitting the ball to the vacated side, but I guess they can't. And I would not put in an automatic ball and strike robot. Having umpires is part of the charm of the game.
The rule about 2 infielders on each side of second base is like telling a football team they can't blitz the QB because they would have more rushers than the defense has blockers. I remember a long time ago a reporter asked Ted Willaims why he didn't hit the ball to left field when they put the shift on. His reply was that they paid him to hit home runs, not singles. Rulemakers should have left that one alone.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,588 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
Robo-umps will be here in 2024. I can't find a link at the moment but that "rule change" can't happen until a year after a meeting where it's decided and that meeting is scheduled in 2023.

Unfortunately, they won't be doing it right. As I understand it, instead of the system that basically signals the ump as to whether a pitch is a ball or strike, umps will still call the pitches and there will be another "challenge system" that players or the managers will have to instigate.

The system in question is a true 3-dimensional system, unlike the "2D" boxes you see on regular telecasts. That means that a breaking ball could be in the dirt by the time it gets to the catcher's mitt but still have "nicked the strike zone" on it's way there.
C'mon! Players disputing calls and the crowds booing the umpires is part of the game!
Old 09-10-2022, 08:55 AM

Last edited by Tom M; 09-10-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:03 AM

Last edited by Tom M; 09-10-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:11 AM

I don’t like the new rules sounds going woke to me where everyone gets on base, gets to steal easier, bigger bags maybe ok pitcher only gets two pickoffs, easy to count that and then steal. It is my favorite sport looks like that may change
Sad!
Old 09-10-2022, 09:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,290 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twsells View Post
I don’t like the new rules sounds going woke to me where everyone gets on base, gets to steal easier, bigger bags maybe ok pitcher only gets two pickoffs, easy to count that and then steal. It is my favorite sport looks like that may change
Sad!
I can't see how the two pickoff rule will work. If he throws over a second time, I would imagine the lead would be about 30 feet on the next pitch. I expect that pitchers will only make one pick-off move.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

I wish they would make some changes with NCAA football bowl games too. Way to many teams get to play with to many losses. Who wants to watch some school that you never heard of play in a Bowl game that sounds like it was made up. They got to get back to a 11 to 15 bowl game & quit inventing bowls to make money, because no one wants to see some tiny little school play! Yea, I know it’s all about money but come on!
Old 09-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,706 Times in 761 Posts

Not going to matter. The number of games is too many to have the players care every day. Much like basketball
Closed Thread

Tags
baseball, rule, mlb, officially, passes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.