Boston Red Sox Talk

Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I have a confession. Even though I have been a Yankee fan all my life, one of my favorite players of all time was Yaz. I liked the fact that he had Long Island roots (his parents were potato farmers on Long Island), and of course I loved his talent (the last player to win the triple crown). I used to imitate the way he held the bat when we played stickball. Happy Birthday to Fenway Park. I couldn't enjoy the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry without the Red Sox!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I have a confession. Even though I have been a Yankee fan all my life, one of my favorite players of all time was Yaz. I liked the fact that he had Long Island roots (his parents were potato farmers on Long Island), and of course I loved his talent (the last player to win the triple crown). I used to imitate the way he held the bat when we played stickball. Happy Birthday to Fenway Park. I couldn't enjoy the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry without the Red Sox!!!
This lifelong Yankee fan has to agree with you, Barry. I grew up on Long Island (Massapequa) and recognized the LI connection with Yaz.

It was good to see him at Fenway yesterday, and he looks pretty good.

If memory serves me correctly, he is the last Triple Crown winner, in 1967.

And yes - Happy 100th Birthday to Fenway Park.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

This morning's (Sat.) Boston Globe has many pictures of yesterday's festivities including many of yesteryear's stars. They also have a complete list of all the attendees at yesterday's game. Unfortunately a few of my favorites were not on the list (obviously because they have passed) but would like to have seen guys like Pete Runnells and Jackie Jensen as a part of the listing. I believe Pete played 2nd base along side Frank Malzone at 3rd and Jackie Jensen played right field along side Ted Williams way back when!!!!! Ah for the good old days once again!!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
This lifelong Yankee fan has to agree with you, Barry. I grew up on Long Island (Massapequa) and recognized the LI connection with Yaz.

It was good to see him at Fenway yesterday, and he looks pretty good.

If memory serves me correctly, he is the last Triple Crown winner, in 1967.

And yes - Happy 100th Birthday to Fenway Park.
Yaz was a class act, but technically Yaz should not have been awarded the triple crown. If memory serves me correct, Harman Killebrew tied him in HR's.

So in IMHO Yaz did not WIN the home run crown, thus was not a triple crown winner. I am not looking for an argument about this. It is what it is, and I'd bet if it were someone with the personality of Rice or Manny an * would have been applied.
As far as yesterdays gathering at Fenway, I am surprised that Fred Lynn and Pedro were no shows. Manny wasn't either but this is Manny being Manny.
PS: Pedro was the best pitcher in baseball and if Freddy Lynn didn't get hurt so much he could have been a guaranteed Hall of Famer.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Pedro was DEFINITELY there. He was on top of the dugout with another former player, whose name is escaping me. They were leading the toast, near the end of the ceremony.

P.S. - the other toastmaster with Pedro was Kein Millar - I just found it.

Last edited by RichieB; 04-21-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added ps
Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
Pedro was DEFINITELY there. He was on top of the dugout with another former player, whose name is escaping me. They were leading the toast, near the end of the ceremony.

P.S. - the other toastmaster with Pedro was Kein Millar - I just found it.
I read something yesterday that said Pedro was not there. I read today on ESPN that Pedro was. Someone gave the wrong info. Sorry for the error. Glad to know Pedro was at the ceremony. He was a great one. And no, Yankee Fans, "He did NOT slam Zimmer to the ground." He shoved him away after Zim tried to land a punch. Why Fred Lynn didn't show is a mystery.

PS: I though Bobby V. would be the man they needed. Looks like his signing could be a big mistake. Bobby V and Ozzie Guillen need to learn to keep their mouths shut and take lessons from Joe Torre.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
PS: I though Bobby V. would be the man they needed. Looks like his signing could be a big mistake. Bobby V and Ozzie Guillen need to learn to keep their mouths shut and take lessons from Joe Torre.
You are right, Tom. For the most part, the Yankees address their issues priately and keep it in the clubhouse. Both incidents by Bobby and Ozzie are unfortunate.

Sometimes, it's best to keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp
Default Boston Red Sox Talk

As a lifelong Yankee fan, I never thought that Red Sox Fans had a lot of redeeming qualities. Then, I moved to TV and met a bunch of the "red sox nation" and they turned out to be not so terrible. Then I saw this video about an autistic boy singing The National Anthem at Fenway. Way to go Red Sox fans!!

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Last edited by Ad poster; 08-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Platinum member

In 1986 I became a big fan of Bill Buckner.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Gold member

Sorry Patti but I think your remark was inappropiate in this situation. Massachusetts is very good and caring to its special needs kids and adults. The sports teams always support our special citizens. The Red Sox Nation here i TV will do the same.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
In 1986 I became a big fan of Bill Buckner.

Buckner was the real WS MVP. I heard the Mets voted him a full share.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Sage

Very nice video, very touching IMO.

I am a life time Red Sox fan. After last fall, I put my membership on hold
Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

Beer and chicken wings, anyone ?????????????
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Sorry Patti but I think your remark was inappropiate in this situation. Massachusetts is very good and caring to its special needs kids and adults. The sports teams always support our special citizens. The Red Sox Nation here i TV will do the same.
Whoa, I confess that I didn't follow the link, got a warning message and quit.

In truth, I'm not surprised that the Red Sox that the Red Sox had an autistic child sing the National Anthem. Back in the day, I attended many a game at Fenway and found the franchise to be classy outfit.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the cheap shot at Buckner.

Now, I am going to take a self-imposed time out and sit on my hands before you all put on your CAPS LOCK and really flame me.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Beer and chicken wings, anyone ?????????????
I would prefer lobster pie at the Hilltop.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.