Chicago Cubs Talk

Old 11-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I called my dad the morning after game 7. One of my sisters spent the night before at his house watching the game with him. My dad said he would have gone to bed when the Indians tied the game in the 8th inning, but my sister convinced him to stay up and watch the rest of the game. I am so glad he stayed up to see the Cubs win

And the brick and mortar retail stores/web sites selling Cubs merchandise have been raking in the $$$ the past week. I even broke open the piggy bank to buy a Cubs World Series t-shirt for myself. I also bought a World Series t-shirt, cap and a keepsake copy of the 11/3/2016 Chicago Tribune for my dad for Christmas. If the Cubs won the World Series every fall I would never have to scratch my head wondering what to buy my dad for Christmas.
There does seem to be a lot of happy former and current Chicagoland residents. I only lived there for three and a half months taking care of my Uncle Bill in Itasca before he could get into a nursing home. He lost an arm, leg, and part of his skull at the invasion of Anzio, Italy. Battle of Anzio - Wikipedia His squad was hit by a tree burst shell from a Panzer tank which killed 6/8 of his men. This was in 1994 that I helped out my Aunt and Uncle and met maybe 50 of my Illinois relatives. There was a funeral for the Itasca Fire Chief who was my uncle Alvin Lueth. He had a parade through Itasca in his honor.

My two Itasca uncles were kind of small town heroes.

Worked on my 224 613 Project while in Itasca and even had a Law School pay my way to Raleigh/Durham NC to interview with a primarily African-American Law Library North Carolina Central University for a Reference Librarian Position. The Dean there pointed out what he claimed was a lie on my resume. That I supervised some document retrieval work/study students at the U of MN Law Library. Which I did but someone at the U of MN Law School pulled the carpet from out from under me. The Law Library Director who had invited me there knew she could not question the Law School Dean. This still bothers me a lot. I still remember the two students I would check their work whenever they asked when I was on the reference desk. The cute blonde girl named Nicole with the nose ring and the guy who would ask me how my studies of Reading Italian was going. I do not remember the name of the guy student just that he now reminds me a little of Harry Potter. Almost anyone on a reference desk in a large law school library would check the work of students doing document retrieval. That is supervising. The students are often not all that familiar with legal publications especially if not interested in law books.

Also remember seeing the movie The River Wild with my cousin Jeff who was born on February 22, 1959 or right around there to my February 24, 1959. My Mom and my Aunt both had the flu while they were carrying both of us and it did result in some developmental problems with speech and co-ordination. Jeff had it a lot harder than I did as he never found the teacher who believed in him like I did with Barbara Mitchell at Earl Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada.

The River Wild (1994) - Rotten Tomatoes

I did have to root for the Chicagoland sports teams from late August or so through mid-December of 1994. Da Bears, Da Cubs, Da Blackhawks, Da Bulls.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-08-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Sage
Default Kris Bryant. Happy Birthday.

Happy birthday, Kris Bryant!

Way to go Cubbies again for the World Series of 2016.

It is their Rookie of the Year's birthday today, Kris Bryant. Kris Bryant Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

2015 MLB Rookie of the Year -- Kris Bryant of Chicago Cubs named NL winner
Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage
Default No World Series repeat this year for the Cubs

Well we all know by now the Cubs will not be returning to the World Series. The Cubs got their butts handed to them by the Dodgers.

There was so much hype about the Cubs on Chicago media last year even before they went to the World Series. This year there was still a lot of coverage of the Cubs while they were in the playoffs, but the extensive hyping of the team was not there.

As an aside, one of the Cubs scouts tried to auction off his 2016 World Series ring on an on-line auction site in violation of the agreement Cubs employees signed not to sell their World Series rings. Bidding was up to $65,000 before the auction site removed the ring from further bidding at the request of the Cubs. The scout no longer works for the Cubs.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Well we all know by now the Cubs will not be returning to the World Series. The Cubs got their butts handed to them by the Dodgers.

There was so much hype about the Cubs on Chicago media last year even before they went to the World Series. This year there was still a lot of coverage of the Cubs while they were in the playoffs, but the extensive hyping of the team was not there.

As an aside, one of the Cubs scouts tried to auction off his 2016 World Series ring on an on-line auction site in violation of the agreement Cubs employees signed not to sell their World Series rings. Bidding was up to $65,000 before the auction site removed the ring from further bidding at the request of the Cubs. The scout no longer works for the Cubs.
My Dad was a little disappointed that the Cubs did not go even farther this year but seemed to take it in stride. He has known a lot of disappointment from the Cubs over his life.

Really hoping that the Houston Astros take it all this Season. List of Major League Baseball franchise postseason droughts - Wikipedia

I like rooting for the underdog.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My Dad was a little disappointed that the Cubs did not go even farther this year but seemed to take it in stride. He has known a lot of disappointment from the Cubs over his life.

Really hoping that the Houston Astros take it all this Season. List of Major League Baseball franchise postseason droughts - Wikipedia

I like rooting for the underdog.
I was surprised that the Cleveland Indians didn't go further this year. Since the Cubs are out of it, I too would like to see the Astros win it all this year. Would certainly be a morale boost for the Houston area after the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey a couple of months ago.

Tags
talk, cubs, chicago

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.