Derek Jeter Great????

Derek Jeter Great????

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
yay to all

jeter = class
No one is debating that he's a classy guy! The debate is how people have this guy on a pedestal for his accomplishments on the field. His heart can't be measured but stats don't lie when you're speaking facts.Defensively he was an average shortstop if not below average.His offense was average at best.! Sorry if all don't put him on a pedestal just because he's a class act.

Worcester (Wistah) Massachusetts-52 years
The Village Of Amelia The Villages Fl -September 09-
June 10, 2013 Gilchrist
The Village of McClure November 7th ,2018
We are "Frogs" as of 08-21-2011

Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Sage

Olberman has done several hate pieces on Jeter in the past. I think that the doesn't like the fact that Jeter hasn't produced a lot of off the field or in the clubhouse scandals for him to write about.

As a life long Red sox fan I have to say that Derek Jeter is certainly one of the greatest players that I have ever seen. He has also been a total class act for his entire career.

Olberman, who would probably not make the top 100 sports commentators in history turned that fact into a negative in one piece that he did on Jeter.

Olberman was originally a sports commentator and then he turned to politics. He was so bad, so biased and so divisive that even one of the most biased news networks in existence fired him. He's not much better as a sport commentator. All he does is stir up hate and divisiveness.

Come to think of it, he's probably not in the to 100 broadcasters in history. I honestly don't know why he's on television at all. I can't stand watching the guy and I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

Derek Jeter on the other hand is admired by millions of sports fans all over the country. He has been honored by every team in baseball during this, his last season. Olberman hates this fact. He can't stand to ever see anything good happen.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
No one is debating that he's a classy guy! The debate is how people have this guy on a pedestal for his accomplishments on the field. His heart can't be measured but stats don't lie when you're speaking facts.Defensively he was an average shortstop if not below average.His offense was average at best.! Sorry if all don't put him on a pedestal just because he's a class act.

Simply explain to me, please, WHY he is saying what he i saying and why you are also.

Did someone call him the greatest ? And if so, so what.

I just do not understand his rant, for no reason at all, and your trying to support him along with another poster.

What exactly is your point...his point ? Is this just a case of some kind of inherent nastiness ?

For the life of me, I cannot understand what motivates you folks to just hate on someone when he is leaving......will not even debate the stats or anything...that is, of course, open to debate.

BUT TO SIMPLY WANT TO BRING SOMEBODY DOWN FOR NO REASON IS JUST BEYOND ANYTHING.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Did you listen to what Olbermann said? He never denied that Jeeter is a great player, just that he's not the greatest. Not of all time, not even of the Yankees. Jeeter will make the Hall of Fame because he has earned it and it will be well-deserved. That doesn't make him the greatest, but does make him one of the greats.
And who other than Jose Posada said that Jeter was the greatest player, shortstop or Yankee ever?

Posada gave his opinion and Olberman jumped on that to give another one of his hate filled rants.

Who can ever say who was the greatest at anything in any sport? There are very few cases where the answer is very clear cut. In most cases they'll be disagreement. Suffice to say that Jeter was one of the greatest.

Who would list Olberman as one of the greatest in any category? In fact I'd love to see a list of Olberman's stats and accomplishments. What has he ever really accomplished other than putting other people down?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Sage

I agree that Jeter is a class act and seems to be an all-around good guy. I've certainly enjoyed seeing him play but I've never quite understood the adulation. But, then, I've never really understood the adulation of any sports figure unless they've done something truly remarkable off the playing field.

I know little about Olberman, so had no clue he was just one of those hate mongers. I just happened to agree with his stats about Jeter and the fact that Jeter deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but not rated as the greatest shortstop of all time (which I have heard said before).

And where, pray tell, did I say anything that was even remotely hateful to Jeter (other than misspelling his name, which is something I seem to consistently albeit inadvertently do)?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-24-2014, 06:20 PM

Keith Olbermann, look him up online, his personal athletic career consists of collecting baseball cards. He never laced them up! He is another example of today's sports media reporters who never even participated in sports but are experts on how the game should be played and who should be playing. Look these sports reporters up online and see how many of them actually participated in sports. He also thinks he is witty, I don't know who told him that, but they should rethink their opinion. If Jeter's fellow ballplayers think he deserves to be honored, I for one will agree with them, they should know, they have been there, Olbermann has not!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM

I watch Jeter play several games each year. Now playing shortstop, number 2, Derek Jeter, number 2. Love watching him run and play catch before the game. It is ok to idealize someone, actually healthy; just realize he is a real person with myriad of positives and negatives, like anyone else. People who do not realize the need to idealize are small, sad people.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Gold member

Keith Olbermann is still on TV?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
Simply explain to me, please, WHY he is saying what he i saying and why you are also.

Did someone call him the greatest ? And if so, so what.

I just do not understand his rant, for no reason at all, and your trying to support him along with another poster.

What exactly is your point...his point ? Is this just a case of some kind of inherent nastiness ?

For the life of me, I cannot understand what motivates you folks to just hate on someone when he is leaving......will not even debate the stats or anything...that is, of course, open to debate.

BUT TO SIMPLY WANT TO BRING SOMEBODY DOWN FOR NO REASON IS JUST BEYOND ANYTHING.
Nastiness? Hate? ? Where's this coming from? I personally believe he is a class act!

Worcester (Wistah) Massachusetts-52 years
The Village Of Amelia The Villages Fl -September 09-
June 10, 2013 Gilchrist
The Village of McClure November 7th ,2018
We are "Frogs" as of 08-21-2011
Old 09-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Sage

Gee, I so love being called small and sad because I don't idealize (or did you mean idolize) a ball player and to be accused of inherent nastiness for daring to say Jeter deserves the Hall of Fame but not to be called the greatest shortstop of all time. NOT!!!!

I also don't see where it is required that a sportsreporter be required to be a former athlete. Sometimes the best writers and reporters have never participated in their area of expertise but have studied that field extensively and know enough to be able to write about it knowledgeably.

This is ridiculous. Neither bosoxfan nor I denied Jeter's talents. We just happened to agree that the hyperbole about his innate ability was just that -- hyperbole. Yes, he is great. Yes, he is truly a class act. No, he is not the greatest. His own stats prove that.

Now, where is anything said by me nasty, small or sad? Rags and Pequot, I sincerely think you two owe both bosoxfan and me an apology.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread