Home Field Advantage

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2019, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Comish was interviewed on this very subject. One way, and I think he liked it eventually, if BB goes the way of this, keep the umpire behind the plate with ability to know the call and signal it.

Two things he likes on this....first us old timers do not lose the umpire behind the plate, and we all know how tech can go....this would be a back up.

I am not there yet....analytics has been difficult for me but seeing how it seems to work for appraising players and matchups during the game.
I like the idea of keeping the umpire behind the plate. There are certain calls that need to be made--did the batter swing through or not, did the ball hit the ground before the catcher caught it, what's a foul at the plate, what's not, did the catcher interfere with the runner coming home from third--etc. I think someone's idea up above of having the pitch called into the ump's ear might work out for all of us.

But I'm so disappointed in the wrong calls at the plate. Those calls are so crucial. One sports writer said "In Game 5, the umpire was calling a strike zone that seemed more like a piece of abstract art. No one had any idea what was going on."

And don't get me started on football officiating, whose referees are only part-time employees.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the problem is that the strike zone is not the same for every batter. It changes based on the height of the batter. So, the rules would need to be changed to use technology.
Not a bit. Height of the batter could be handled very easily by the technology.

And FWIW, I'm not in favor of a rule change for a unified strike zone. In every sport, the athlete's body is either an advantage or a disadvantage to milk or overcome. If a bigger or smaller strike zone makes it easier or harder for the batter or pitcher, so be it. Part of the game imo.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage

The only rule change I can see is that technology, which already exists, is fully responsible for the determination of balls and strikes. Determining the strike zone for each batter already exists in the current technology. Further refinement is certainly possible. A new rule changing the strike zone? I don't see any need for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the rules would still need to be changed to establish who and how the strike zone is controlled. As I understand it, the umpire calls the balls and strikes, not a computer generated strike zone. Do you think baseball would be willing to take the umpire out of the game?
Old 10-31-2019, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Couldn't disagree with Blueash more on the rule changes. .. I'd rather see the umpires stay and perhaps go to an audible tone that the plate umpire immediately hears indicating strike or not. They've had that technology for years in tennis where a tone is audible when a serve is a fault.
Well, you're not really in disagreement at all about using technology to call balls and strikes. I never said get rid of the ump. I said use technology to call the ball/strikes. You want to have the ump signal to the crowd that's fine with me. I'd agree with that.

I would point out that in hockey the size of the net is not made larger because of a bigger goalie, nor soccer. Nor does a basketball player who is taller have the basket raised so the challenge is equal to that of a shorter player. Only in baseball is a larger person penalized by the rules of the game.

There are interesting websites that track the large variability of the strike zone depending on the pitch count [the pitcher is given a much larger strike zone on 3-0 than on 0-2 counts] and even on right handed vs lefties. And certain pitchers and hitters seem to get the benefit of the doubt. The strike zone is broken and the technology to fix it is available.

I believe every batter should have to defend the same size area. Baseball already acknowledged the problem with size differentials when Gaedel had his famous moment. If a strike zone can be too short to be fair to the pitcher, I'd argue a hitter can be too tall to be fair to the hitter.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Only in baseball is a larger person penalized by the rules of the game...
I respect your post. Even agree with a fair amount of it. But the conclusion above is a real stretch imo.

If larger baseball players are punished by the rules of the game, then many different size athletes are penalized by the rules of many games.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I hear you all about the importance of getting with it technology-wise but let's go and get a move on. They have been playing ball and hitting the Rock with a Dinosaur Bone for a long time and it worked out fine. Why mess with the way it was? The human factor makes it more fun. Even when the call goes against the team I'm for. That's life.

How are they going to institute these updates into games for the young kids? They are not going to like not having the same computer making calls that their heroes have. Whatever it's only Baseball not Rocket Science.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Robot Umpires, as they are called, are already in use in minor league games. Umpires have a earpiece that will tell them strike or ball and they simply make the verbal call. The umpire is also there for plays at the plate, foul tips, fair or foul balls, balks, check swings, and anything that requires a human response. The system is called ABS (Automated Ball-Strike System) and is implemented by Trackman.

Robot umpires will continue to be used in Atlantic League for remainder of 2019 season - CBSSports.com

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...o-controversy/
Old 10-31-2019, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Robot Umpires, as they are called, are already in use in minor league games. Umpires have a earpiece that will tell them strike or ball and they simply make the verbal call. The umpire is also there for plays at the plate, foul tips, fair or foul balls, balks, check swings, and anything that requires a human response. The system is called ABS (Automated Ball-Strike System) and is implemented by Trackman.

Robot umpires will continue to be used in Atlantic League for remainder of 2019 season - CBSSports.com

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...o-controversy/

Thanks for some great links.

For a guy that started with stickball and worked up, I am amazed and thrilled at the progression of the game. I rejected analytics at first, now getting it. Speeding the game and accuracy is great.

I secretly will still check the old time stats, but boy I have learned to appreciate the new way the last two years.

Seeing and appreciating how the new way has helped develop young players is exciting.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

I know this thread is based on the "lack of home field advantage" in this series, but I really am impressed on how analytics are used in the player development now. Great game...always has been and remains.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Subway Series next year. Yankees in 6.
Closed Thread

Tags
field, advantage, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.