Jerry Coleman, RIP

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Sage
Default Jerry Coleman, RIP

It was announced that Jerry Coleman died today. He was 89. Jerry was an important member of the Yankees for many years. He was Rookie of the Year in 1949 and MVP of the World Series the following year. He served as a Marine Corps aviator in WWII and Korea earning two Distinguished Flying Crosses, 13 Air Medals and three Navy Citations. He became the voice of the NL Padres and actually served as manager for one year. Interestingly, he always said that, after his family, the Marine Corps was next in his heart.

He was awarded the Ford Frick Award from the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I had the pleasure of listening to him while living on San Diego County. While the Padres were usually bottom dwellers I remember his call of the dramatic home run Steve Garvey hit to get them to a fifth game in the playoffs against the Cubs. And his call of the last out in that series that propelled them to the World Series against the Tigers. He was an icon in San Diego.

RIP Colonel.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Sage

I remember Jerry when he was with the Yankees.

A true gentleman, war hero and all around nice guy. My condolence go out to his family.

A great ambassador, for the game of baseball.

RIP - Jerry

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.