New York Yankees Talk

Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Smile

Thank you all so much for all your help. We decided to go with Century Link Direct TV premier package (hopefully with YES Network) and also went with their internet service. Go Yankees and Giants!!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Default Yes network

Forgot to mention that if Yankee game not on YES, you can also get game on NY9.
Have no experience with cable, only with Direct TV.
So, wish you sucess in getting YES via cable.
GO Yanks!

inholmdel
Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inholmdel View Post
Forgot to mention that if Yankee game not on YES, you can also get game on NY9.
Have no experience with cable, only with Direct TV.
So, wish you sucess in getting YES via cable.
GO Yanks!

inholmdel
You can get NY9 on Directv in the TV?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Gold member

Since it was my post from quite awhile ago that led to this question, let me clarify from what I now know.

1) The people at DirecTV don't always know what you get or don't get. I was originally told (when I contracted for service), that the regional sports package would include the YES network. Then, when I wanted to initiate service at the beginning of the 2009 season I was told that the regional package only provided the regional sports in your particular area and that meant that the YES network was only available in the NY metro area. As a result, I went with the MLB extra innings package (at considerably more cost).

2) At some point after the the 2009 season I decided to experiment with the regional sports package and to my surprise, the YES network was indeed included ... and not just for the games, but their full broadcast day. Not only that, but the regional stations from around the country were also included. I find that to be a very good bargain (and wonder why they offer it so cheaply since it certainly eats into their MLB Extra Innings revenue.)

3) When games are broadcast on My9, the regional sports network opens up a special channel for the game coverage.

4) The only time that the Yankee broadcast team (Michael Kay, et al) are not available for a game is when the Yankees play the Rays. In that case you have to watch the (very boring, in my opinion) Rays broadcast team on the Florida regional sports channel. But, at least you can still see the game.

Note, this entire discusion is from my perspective of DirecTV. As someone pointed out above, I was under the impression that the telephone company only had a deal with Dish Network - but I could be wrong.

I have yet to find a cheap alternative to watch the Giants. I find their pro football package to be way over-priced (especially with the add-on cost to watch games in Hi-def).
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Gold member
Default need more info if anyone knows

Thanks NJBlue, for the update.

Unless I'm losing it, which is entirely possible, CenturyLink (formerly EMBARQ) did indeed have a deal with DishTV, not DirectTV, when we checked it out in detail a few months ago. Now they appear to have a deal instead with DirectTV

Now we are actually doing the move. Currently have regular Comcast for us and our various tenants, costs about $64/mo. Keeps going up. No premium channels, but does have ESPN and a couple of other sports things, I think ESPN2, maybe Classic ESPN and possibly ESPNU (can't remember).

We also have Centrylink for internet (I guess it's DSL, not sure - it's fine) and a local land line, costs about $75/mo. Total Cable & Internet & land line is about $140/mo, no premium channels. Willing to do away with our land line if we can save much, but need internet and TV (cable or dish) with the midwest sports stuff.

We want (no, make that NEED) to get FoxSports Ohio (for Reds games), Sportstime Ohio (for Indians games), and the Big Ten (I know, there will now be 12 teams in 2011) Network.

Does anyone have any updates on how to get all of these in one package? I know I can call, and I will, but as someone pointed out, you get different answers from different sales reps when you call. I called AT&T U-verse who now cover parts of Florida, but was told CenturyLink has an exclusive deal with Sumter County, or at least The Villages. I think they meant Comcast, but that's not what they said.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Thanks NJBlue, for the update.

Unless I'm losing it, which is entirely possible, CenturyLink (formerly EMBARQ) did indeed have a deal with DishTV, not DirectTV, when we checked it out in detail a few months ago. Now they appear to have a deal instead with DirectTV

Now we are actually doing the move. Currently have regular Comcast for us and our various tenants, costs about $64/mo. Keeps going up. No premium channels, but does have ESPN and a couple of other sports things, I think ESPN2, maybe Classic ESPN and possibly ESPNU (can't remember).

We also have Centrylink for internet (I guess it's DSL, not sure - it's fine) and a local land line, costs about $75/mo. Total Cable & Internet & land line is about $140/mo, no premium channels. Willing to do away with our land line if we can save much, but need internet and TV (cable or dish) with the midwest sports stuff.

We want (no, make that NEED) to get FoxSports Ohio (for Reds games), Sportstime Ohio (for Indians games), and the Big Ten (I know, there will now be 12 teams in 2011) Network.

Does anyone have any updates on how to get all of these in one package? I know I can call, and I will, but as someone pointed out, you get different answers from different sales reps when you call. I called AT&T U-verse who now cover parts of Florida, but was told CenturyLink has an exclusive deal with Sumter County, or at least The Villages. I think they meant Comcast, but that's not what they said.
You are covered with DirecTV. The Big 10 network is part of one of the "regular" packages. The other two are included in the regional sports package which only costs about $10-15 per month. If you only want these for baseball, you can start and stop this package for just the baseball season.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
Since it was my post from quite awhile ago that led to this question, let me clarify from what I now know.

1) The people at DirecTV don't always know what you get or don't get. I was originally told (when I contracted for service), that the regional sports package would include the YES network. Then, when I wanted to initiate service at the beginning of the 2009 season I was told that the regional package only provided the regional sports in your particular area and that meant that the YES network was only available in the NY metro area. As a result, I went with the MLB extra innings package (at considerably more cost).

2) At some point after the the 2009 season I decided to experiment with the regional sports package and to my surprise, the YES network was indeed included ... and not just for the games, but their full broadcast day. Not only that, but the regional stations from around the country were also included. I find that to be a very good bargain (and wonder why they offer it so cheaply since it certainly eats into their MLB Extra Innings revenue.)

3) When games are broadcast on My9, the regional sports network opens up a special channel for the game coverage.

4) The only time that the Yankee broadcast team (Michael Kay, et al) are not available for a game is when the Yankees play the Rays. In that case you have to watch the (very boring, in my opinion) Rays broadcast team on the Florida regional sports channel. But, at least you can still see the game.

Note, this entire discusion is from my perspective of DirecTV. As someone pointed out above, I was under the impression that the telephone company only had a deal with Dish Network - but I could be wrong.

I have yet to find a cheap alternative to watch the Giants. I find their pro football package to be way over-priced (especially with the add-on cost to watch games in Hi-def).
Thank you so much for clearing that up. When we spoke to people at Direct TV, the responses varied depending on who we talked to regarding receiving the YES Network. Now we can look forward to watching it in Florida. We also enjoy the YES commentary on games and I love Yankeeography. Cathy

Atlantic Beach, NY
Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Still a Snowbird..

As the title indcates, I still go back and forth to Yankee / Giant land.

When we first moved to FL 10 years ago, my wife found out about a product called Slingbox.

Slingbox is connected to my cable connector in CT via a splitter and has a LAN cable to my home network router.

Software on my PC here allows me to watch any program on my PC, that is on my cable up north. All Yankee games on YES, Francessa, channel 9, local CT news, etc. It has a software remote on the screen that I user to change channels just as if I was in my living room there.

I get all Giant games via the box also, all thru the internet at a low cost.

It has been a godsend, thanks to my loving wife who looks after my happiness!

It is a good solution for people who have a home there or have family with a home network they can use for connection.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Platinum member
Default Top Ten Yankees of all time

In today’s Long Island Newsday, there was an article about the best ten Yankees of all time. I agree with nine of them and even the order they were chosen.

Ruth, Joe D, Gehrig, Mantle, Yogi, Whitey, Mariano, Jeter and Bill Dickey seem like good choices. It is number ten that is my complaint. This prima donna will never be a true Yankee and although Ruth began his career with The Red Sox and Yogi finished his with the Mets, they will always be thought of as Yankees. AROD as talented as he is or was, will never fit the mode of a true Yankee. Reggie Jackson would have been a better choice, or Thurman or Rizzuto…Holy Cow.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Not Reggie -- to me, he belongs on the Oakland A's list, along with Catfish, Rollie Fingers, Eckersley, McGwire (whom I really dislike -- a player needs to do more than just hit and Mark was too lazy to be a good defensive player), Canseco (another ugh but still deserves to be in the A's top 10). Reggie became Mr. October with the A's.

Actually, though, I think A-Rod fits today's Yanks. Egotistical, arrogant, ME ME ME. Steinbrenner took a team with a history and a lot of class and turned it into a machine of prima donnas. He paid ridiculous amounts for players and broke more fans' hearts than any team owner except for Davis (owner of the Oakland Traitors).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Platinum member

I agree with your opion of The Boss and maybe Reggie doesn't belong on the list either. I made that comment as sarcasim. And yes, The Bash Brothers and al their homeruns is criminal. The game is different now wich is why it is no longer the top sport. Hey everyone- how bout another nominee for # 10. Maybe Allie Reynolds, Bernie Williams, Rod Guidrey, or maybe Bob Shepard (The voice of God) . Thanks for your input, Dee. It's great to get feedback from a female and one who isn't a Yankee fan. The A's top 10- Yes, Hunter (with his class and pitching greatness belongs at the top of the list as does Fingers. Joe Rudi and Campi also appear on my list. Without these two players, The A's win nothing.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sorry, A-Rod belongs, even though I perfectly understand your objections -- it's like McGwire and Canseco. They belong on the A's top ten. Talent is talent and all of these jerks have talent and stats. I do like Guidry, though -- a lot.

I have a strange list of teams that I love: KC Royals are #1; Oakland As; NY Yanks; SF Giants. I used to never miss a game when KC or NY were playing the A's (my boss was used to me being sick when those teams were in town - finally got me tix as an Xmas gift). That began to die after the '94 strike and I totally lost my love of the game after seeing McGwire, Canseco, et al. It was obvious they were using roids and no. one. cared. Sadly, many "fans" still don't. Now, it is hard to care. I'm not sure I'd even really root if my beloved Royals were in the Series again.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Platinum member

My favorite NONE YANKEE of all time is George Brett. I'd take him at third base over Brooks Roninson and Mike Schmidt. A great competitor. PS: He got screwed in the pine tar game.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I agree "Scooter" definitely belongs!

Army Guy
Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Not a big fan.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
AROD as talented as he is or was, will never fit the mode of a true Yankee.
Not the biggest fan of AROD as a person, but when his Yankee career is done he'll have to rank right up at the top of Yankee players!!!

What's a true Yankee?...he's played great for them, just like Reggie, Catfish, Sparky, et al. I'll argue that they are all "True" Yankees.

I miss seeing Guidry's & Munson's names as dominent as they were in the 70's and 80's(Guidry), stats won't get them into Hall of Fame!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.