Derek Jeter Great????

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Bosoxfan
Default Derek Jeter Great????

Keith Olbermann: Derek Jeter Not Greatest Shortstop Who Ever Lived (Video) | New York Yankees | NESN.com
Old 09-24-2014, 05:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Gotta love Olberman. He certainly got this right.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Gold member

Olberman?????? Now why would I want to listen to him? All he does is find "fault" with people, so he can be controversial, and think he has the top news story of the day. H e was kicked off the regular news program he was doing, and now he has just sports. Lets face it, Derek Jeter was a great ball player, and he's going out with class, just like Brooks Robinson, and other great class ball players. What he did for his team, is what really counts, and not what some low class sports announcer says!! I respect all good hustling ball players.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Olberman?????? Now why would I want to listen to him? All he does is find "fault" with people, so he can be controversial, and think he has the top news story of the day. H e was kicked off the regular news program he was doing, and now he has just sports. Lets face it, Derek Jeter was a great ball player, and he's going out with class, just like Brooks Robinson, and other great class ball players. What he did for his team, is what really counts, and not what some low class sports announcer says!! I respect all good hustling ball players.
Did you listen to what Olbermann said? He never denied that Jeeter is a great player, just that he's not the greatest. Not of all time, not even of the Yankees. Jeeter will make the Hall of Fame because he has earned it and it will be well-deserved. That doesn't make him the greatest, but does make him one of the greats.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Sage

I found Keith's rant hilarious! Another ESPN gasbag, who needs the ratings as when he gets fired, he won't get a farewell tour. He should have mentioned Jeter led the league in dating, beautiful women. A classless essay, to back up his assertions.

A balllplayers greatness is measured by statistics, for most of the baseball fans. How about the intangibles Jeter has brought to the game. Having a champions heart and leading by example. He beat out a infield hit last night by hustling to first base. Something that Robbie Cano would never do. A- Rod had better stats at one point, but he never challenged Jeter for what he brought to the game and being classy.

Jeter is 6th for the most career hits and that's passing an awful lot of ballplayers, that have played the game!!! Playing 20 years is an accomplishment, that a lot of ballplayers would have wanted to have.

Jeter is a class act, unlike Obermann. Shame on you Keith for putting out such trash!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Dancing Thyme

I'm sure ya'll have seen the new Jeter commercial, its all over the internet. I didn't know anything about him but saw this video and flipped out. What a class act so I researched more and I wish more sports heros were as dignified, well mannered, loved their sport and the people that support him. I fell in love with this young man and wish more famous people would follow his lead. He is adored by his fans and rightly so.

Seriously, I never heard of the guy before but I think he's the best!!! OK, it might be a "Bronx" thing, but I wish he were my son!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

He is the quintessential role model. He deserves every accolade attributed to him. And I am no Yankees fan.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

To whom is he responding or was this simply another of his "hate" rants which he is good at.

I mean, what might be the motivation to just try to tear down a man who has played the game with character....just cannot figure out WHY anyone would do this.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran member

Yet another negative rant from the guy who gets the midnite time slot on ESPN's secondary channel. Who cares...or listens?
Jeter is a classy guy...Olberman clearly is not.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Gold member

yay to all

jeter = class
Old 09-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
yay to all

jeter = class
No one is debating that he's a classy guy! The debate is how people have this guy on a pedestal for his accomplishments on the field. His heart can't be measured but stats don't lie when you're speaking facts.Defensively he was an average shortstop if not below average.His offense was average at best.! Sorry if all don't put him on a pedestal just because he's a class act.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Olberman has done several hate pieces on Jeter in the past. I think that the doesn't like the fact that Jeter hasn't produced a lot of off the field or in the clubhouse scandals for him to write about.

As a life long Red sox fan I have to say that Derek Jeter is certainly one of the greatest players that I have ever seen. He has also been a total class act for his entire career.

Olberman, who would probably not make the top 100 sports commentators in history turned that fact into a negative in one piece that he did on Jeter.

Olberman was originally a sports commentator and then he turned to politics. He was so bad, so biased and so divisive that even one of the most biased news networks in existence fired him. He's not much better as a sport commentator. All he does is stir up hate and divisiveness.

Come to think of it, he's probably not in the to 100 broadcasters in history. I honestly don't know why he's on television at all. I can't stand watching the guy and I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

Derek Jeter on the other hand is admired by millions of sports fans all over the country. He has been honored by every team in baseball during this, his last season. Olberman hates this fact. He can't stand to ever see anything good happen.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
No one is debating that he's a classy guy! The debate is how people have this guy on a pedestal for his accomplishments on the field. His heart can't be measured but stats don't lie when you're speaking facts.Defensively he was an average shortstop if not below average.His offense was average at best.! Sorry if all don't put him on a pedestal just because he's a class act.

Simply explain to me, please, WHY he is saying what he i saying and why you are also.

Did someone call him the greatest ? And if so, so what.

I just do not understand his rant, for no reason at all, and your trying to support him along with another poster.

What exactly is your point...his point ? Is this just a case of some kind of inherent nastiness ?

For the life of me, I cannot understand what motivates you folks to just hate on someone when he is leaving......will not even debate the stats or anything...that is, of course, open to debate.

BUT TO SIMPLY WANT TO BRING SOMEBODY DOWN FOR NO REASON IS JUST BEYOND ANYTHING.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Did you listen to what Olbermann said? He never denied that Jeeter is a great player, just that he's not the greatest. Not of all time, not even of the Yankees. Jeeter will make the Hall of Fame because he has earned it and it will be well-deserved. That doesn't make him the greatest, but does make him one of the greats.
And who other than Jose Posada said that Jeter was the greatest player, shortstop or Yankee ever?

Posada gave his opinion and Olberman jumped on that to give another one of his hate filled rants.

Who can ever say who was the greatest at anything in any sport? There are very few cases where the answer is very clear cut. In most cases they'll be disagreement. Suffice to say that Jeter was one of the greatest.

Who would list Olberman as one of the greatest in any category? In fact I'd love to see a list of Olberman's stats and accomplishments. What has he ever really accomplished other than putting other people down?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Sage

I agree that Jeter is a class act and seems to be an all-around good guy. I've certainly enjoyed seeing him play but I've never quite understood the adulation. But, then, I've never really understood the adulation of any sports figure unless they've done something truly remarkable off the playing field.

I know little about Olberman, so had no clue he was just one of those hate mongers. I just happened to agree with his stats about Jeter and the fact that Jeter deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but not rated as the greatest shortstop of all time (which I have heard said before).

And where, pray tell, did I say anything that was even remotely hateful to Jeter (other than misspelling his name, which is something I seem to consistently albeit inadvertently do)?

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.