RIP Hank Aaron

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2021, 10:42 AM

As a second grader who loved to collect baseball cards, one at a time, because that was all the money I was given, I remember opening one pack revealing a player whose name started with two A's and I thought that strange. That card was in my back pocket along with others wrapped in a rubber band at school on most days because we traded cards there. Somehow the card survived and I still have it along with thousands of others. My now rare Aaron rookie card is not in the kind of condition that would attract any investor in sports memorabilia now but I would not sell it for whatever price it might bring. Every time I saw that unbelievably great and humble player on TV or read about the incredible racial abuse he encountered I thought about that card and still smile.

R.I.P. Hank, the real home run king
Old 01-23-2021, 12:22 PM
Default Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I was sitting 3rd stool in at the Mohawk Lodge (Weymouth, MA), when he broke Babe Ruth's home run record!
Saw Hank hit number 716 off Al Dounning.Great player and human being. RIP
Old 01-23-2021, 12:32 PM
Default Henry Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
My favorite ballplayer when growing up. He was with the Milwaukee Braves then.

Rollie
Mine, too. I remember watching him in Connie Mack Stadium, 21st and Lehigh in Philadelphia. In batting practice he would pop one pitch after another into the left field bleachers with the smoothest, easiest swing I ever saw.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:39 PM

I was at the stadium in Atlanta when he broke Babe Ruth's home run record. They gave us all a certificate when departing the game.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:42 PM

Saw Hammering Hank hit number 715 off Al Downning.Great ball player and human being .RIP
Old 01-23-2021, 05:29 PM

As a young girl I saw him play in Milwaukee and he signed a baseball for me...which I still have.
RIP Hank Aaron
Kelly
Old 01-23-2021, 08:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Oftentimes, the word "hero' is overused. When it comes to Hank Aaron, it's not. He was a hero on and off the field. RIP Home-Run King.

https://baseballhall.org/discover-mo...through-giving
Closed Thread

Tags
rip, braves, milwaukee, hank, growing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.