Rodriguez = A-rod = perfect example of $$$ talks

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
I believe you are correct.

As a die-hard Yankee fan, I truly believe they had nothing to do with his being allowed to play. THEY DON'T WANT HIM!

It is in their best interests to be able to void his contract.
You got your cake, now you have to eat it. Unlike the NFL, Major League Baseball guarantees players contracts, but what is really killing baseball is no real salary cap. Sure, the Yankees would love to dump A-Roid's contract and save $90 million, OK let's do that. Then have the Yankees have a $125 million salary cap along with every other team as well. It works in football, every year teams can go from worse to first.

Unless MLB realizes that there are other cities besides those in New York and Boston, they will continue to lose fans. I am so happy that my Orioles and Tampa Bay are hanging in there along with Cleveland, Pittsburgh and a few others.

/
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
I believe you are correct.

As a die-hard Yankee fan, I truly believe they had nothing to do with his being allowed to play. THEY DON'T WANT HIM!

It is in their best interests to be able to void his contract.
Hey, they agreed to pay him 170,000 a game.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

We are getting relatively close to the end of at least one chapter of the ARod soap opera, as we will hear the arbitrator sometime in January.

As a Yankee fan, and someone who subscribes to Extra Innings so that I never have to miss a game, would like to get opinions on what might come down.

I have not tuned in the Yankee's since the first game he played coming back, and have heard at least one national sports writer (I think it was Buster Olney) say he thinks the Yankees will buy out his contract when all the legalities are over...not sure that is going to happen, but the decision from the arbitrator comes down to...

1. 211 games or one maybe of the below

2. 162 games
3. 100 games
4. 50 games
5. 0 games

Wondering what folks are thinking.....I see 100 games and hope the rumors are true about buying him out.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Lets leave the Yankees out of this. They would like nothing better than to drop this expensive, egotistical flop.

Too bad an intelligent thread quickly turns into the same old, tired, Yankees bashing.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

I agree. As a kid I was Dodger fan and since 1962 I have been a Mets fan. No, I don't care for the Yankees but bashing them is way off base on this issue.

If a player in any sport has an alcohol or addictive drug problem, then he or she has a sickness - mental, spiritual and physical. They need help, but they must pay the consequences for their shortcomings or wrongdoings. It's an explanation to be considered, not a 'free ticket' nor excuse.

A-Rod, and others, have by substantial evidence, committed their own wrongdoing. But, in their case, it's not substance abuse, it is rather plain cheating, getting a leg up on all the 'suckers' playing the game straight. All the contorted legal arguments about contract language seem secondary here. It's first and foremost about choosing to 'enhance performance' it's about cheating.

Let's think of the cultural lessons being learned here. Remember "Say it isn't so, Joe!" ?

Basic questions have to be asked and answered by MLB.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.