Ryan Braun has been suspended for the rest of the 2013 season

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage
Default Ryan Braun has been suspended for the rest of the 2013 season

Fox sports is reporting that Ryan Braun has been suspended for the rest of the 2013 season for violation of the drug program! Guess that positive test last fall was accurate.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Ban these cheaters for life
Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Drugs? What drugs? I didn't use any drugs! Nope, not me!

Huh? Test results? Whadd'ya talking about, test results?

Oh, yeah. THOSE drugs. Ooops! My bad.
---

What a dope! (Pun intended)
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Default Braun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Fox sports is reporting that Ryan Braun has been suspended for the rest of the 2013 season for violation of the drug program! Guess that positive test last fall was accurate.
Too bad that Braun, like Armstrong, had to throw innocent people under the bus before coming clean. Good thing that I have a brewer shirt and not a Braun jersey.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Gold member

And this is one of the reasons why I have lost interest in baseball. He gets a 65 game suspension but can come back next year to continue playing for what is left of his multi million dollar contract. How many working people get that kind of deal in their life? I do not feel that this punishment fits the crime.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Location: The Villages, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Memphis, Los Angeles, Boston, New York, Norfolk, Chicago.

He loses 3.4 million. Nothing when you consider he still has at least 118 million in GUARANTEED money. Pitiful. Ban him for life and all the others. Starting with A-Roid.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Braun, a liar and a cheat!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Milwaukee is my hometown and I am a Brewer fan. Prior to that I was a baseball fan and prior to that I was a Milwaukee BRAVES fan. Now that being said.

Braun is WRONG. But he is a Selig project.

I am sure this 'admittance' included a clause wherein he looses no more money.

I also do not agree with trading or cutting him. He is still a good ball player.

Would anyone have cut Mark Mcguire or Barry Bonds. If A-ROD is found to have used PED's do you think he'll be cut or traded?

Never admit any of these guys to the Hall of Fame but they have been defamed. Now move on.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
And this is one of the reasons why I have lost interest in baseball. He gets a 65 game suspension but can come back next year to continue playing for what is left of his multi million dollar contract. How many working people get that kind of deal in their life? I do not feel that this punishment fits the crime.
How many working people have the talent to play professional baseball, or any sport at a professional level? There are only about 200 people in the world that can do what Ryan Braun does. They are paid millions of dollars because millions of people are interested and willing to pay to watch them do it. If you could get millions of people to come and watch you do your job, you make that kind of money as well.

The other thing that people don't realize is that these guy work almost seven days a week for six months and more if they get into the playoffs. They are away from home for half that time. Then they get a few months rest and many if not most spend much of that time preparing for the next season.

What does how much someone is getting paid have to do with enjoying watching a sport? Does anyone think, "I'm not going to see that movie because Johnny Depp is making $45million from it?"
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
How many working people have the talent to play professional baseball, or any sport at a professional level? There are only about 200 people in the world that can do what Ryan Braun does. They are paid millions of dollars because millions of people are interested and willing to pay to watch them do it. If you could get millions of people to come and watch you do your job, you make that kind of money as well.

The other thing that people don't realize is that these guy work almost seven days a week for six months and more if they get into the playoffs. They are away from home for half that time. Then they get a few months rest and many if not most spend much of that time preparing for the next season.

What does how much someone is getting paid have to do with enjoying watching a sport? Does anyone think, "I'm not going to see that movie because Johnny Depp is making $45million from it?"

The bottom line is he cheated the system which prompts the question did he cheat to get where he was?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The issue of PEDs is over in the sports arena. The genie is out of the bottle and will not be squeezed back in . In baseball we now have numerous examples of good athletes who become great with the help of PEDs. They also go from $1,000,000 per year to $6 to
$10,000,000 per year, Increased earnings of as much as $100,000,000 over a career. The enormous payouts makes it a perfectly rational financial(even though illegal or immoral) decision to cheat.

Some other sports have even created divisions for "clean" and "drug enhanced " participants (weightlifting) .

The financial rewards make it impossible to stop the use of illegal substances in sport-IMO
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

The Milwaukee newspaper had editorial today that the brewers should dump braun. They owe him 117 million thru 2020. If they dump him the Yankees would pick him up. Eddie Matthews must be rolling over in his grave. He drank whiskey and beer to keep in shape.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
The bottom line is he cheated the system which prompts the question did he cheat to get where he was?
I'm not defending his drug use. He violated the rules and will be punished for it. He will lose a lot of money.
The question of whether or not he cheated to get where he is, is a valid question, but it is only a question. There is no proof that he would not be in the major leagues without PEDs.
If when he comes back, he is not able to perform at an appropriate level, the system will take care of him.
In my opinion, if he is caught with illegal substances in his system in the future, he should be banned from baseball for life.
My post was more to address people who don't watch sports, or say they don't watch sport because the athletes are paid too much. If people are turned off of baseball because the players are paid too much, then I have to assume that they don't watch any professional sports at all.
By the way, did anyone see the article where Phil Mickelson will take home less than 40% of his earnings from the British Open? I'm more concerned about systems that take 60% of people's earnings than how much people make.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecz1 View Post
He loses 3.4 million. Nothing when you consider he still has at least 118 million in GUARANTEED money. Pitiful. Ban him for life and all the others. Starting with A-Roid.
You are absolutely correct. Kids today need good role models more than ever. There is too little accountability for actions these days.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.