Steroid paranoia - well founded?

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Steroid paranoia - well founded?

As a long time baseball fan, I hate that I have to be suspicious of every player performance that is above the norm.

For example:
  • Chris Davis's 53 home runs this year after averaging approx. 15.5 for his first 5 MLB seasons,
  • Jose Bautista's 54 HR's in 2010 and 43 in 2011 when he never even hit 20 in any previous year, and
  • Certainly David Ortiz hitting better than .700 in this year's world Series.

No great performance can go unquestioned.

Anyone else feel this way?

Check out this web site which proposes the elimination of player statistics which were artificially inflated through the use of steroids and other PED’s.

Real Baseball Statistics - Eliminating the effect of MLB's Steroid Era.

_
Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

[QUOTE=tpop1;771328]As a long time baseball fan, I hate that I have to be suspicious of every player performance that is above the norm.

For example:
  • Chris Davis's 53 home runs this year after averaging approx. 15.5 for his first 5 MLB seasons,
  • Jose Bautista's 54 HR's in 2010 and 43 in 2011 when he never even hit 20 in any previous year, and

• Certainly David Ortiz hitting better than .700 in this year's world Series.

No great performance can go unquestioned.

Anyone else feel this way?

A Yankees fan questioning the performance of a Red Sox player. I'm stunned.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

I question all players; take nothing for granted.

ARod, Jason Giambi, Canseco, Gary Sheffield, among others, were all Yankees who are tainted!!!

These players, including Ortiz, all tested positive or admitted using PED's.

My post was to the point of my disappointment of not being able to take great baseball performances at face value anymore.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
I question all players; take nothing for granted.

ARod, Jason Giambi, Canseco, Gary Sheffield, among others, were all Yankees who are tainted!!!

These players, including Ortiz, all tested positive or admitted using PED's.

My post was to the point of my disappointment of not being able to take great baseball performances at face value anymore.
I was just being funny, you being a Yankees fan and the Sox being in the WS. Sorry, didn't mean anything nasty.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I used to love baseball. I quit loving it when I went to As games and saw a player who could hit but couldn't field (couldn't even catch a ball a foot over his head) become Rookie of the Year. Hated it even more when it became obvious that same player was now using roids along with Canseco. Made me question those hits in his first year as well. At least Mcgwire came clean and regretted the use but baseball let his record for '98 stand.

Baseball has become a farce. Talent is wasted because of roids. Good players become "great". Average players become "good". Great players become superstars. So, totally with you even though I question your taste in teams. (And I'm a Royals fan, so have no bone to pick with either team, just with the willingness to let their players win through drug use.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I was just being funny, you being a Yankees fan and the Sox being in the WS. Sorry, didn't mean anything nasty.
No problem...just normal Sox / Yank back and forth!!!

And the Sox are there and my Yanks are golfn'.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.