"Walk-off"Home Runs??

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Default "Walk-off"Home Runs??

Hello,

I have been a sports fan since I first held a baseball bat about 60 years ago and am also a member of SABR. But I have a question I just cannot find the answer to or it must have past me by when I worked for a living. Can someone give me the definition of a "Walk-off" Home Run? I haven't a clue as to what that term means. Maybe a guy who hits a home with no one on base and he walks around the bases?? DUH???

Jerry Jackson (Calumet Grove)

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: "Walk-off"Home Runs??

a walk off home run means it's the last swing of the game, game over.

could be bottom of ninth or extra innings (always the bottom though, since the home team gets last bats)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

Just as a sidebar, you can also have a walkoff walk. Same principle; bases loaded, bottom of the ninth 2/2 game and the batter walks with the bases loaded.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:20 PM

I don't watch pro baseball but i think the rules say that the runner must touch each base in order. You can't run bases backwards, walk off the field, or fail to play out the game or you're out.

Again I don't know how they do it in the pros. I don't think pro basketball is even basketball when you can run 5-6 steps without dribbling and then jump up and dunk it. Should have been travelling. Anyway, its a pet peeve with me.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

TomW, right, gotta touch the bases!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

To achieve a Walk-Off home run, the home team bats in the bottom half of the 9th inning or the bottom half of extra innings should the score be tied at the end of the regulation play.

The home team batter hits a home run to score the go-ahead run to win the game because the visiting team does not have another change to bat. The individual does not walk around the bases but jogs touching each base as he passes it. Usually there is a celebratory group of home team players waiting for him at home plate to congratulate his achievement. The term "walk-off-home-run" comes from the fact that now everyone walks off the field because the game is over.

Of course, a walk-off hit can achieve the same win but this is not a walk-off home run. In this case, other home team players are already on base and the hit allows one of the players to score a run to win. Still everyone walks off the field because the game is over.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 AM

I pretty much agreed what others were saying, but I thought the walk-off referred to the losing pitcher, so I did some digging and this is what I found:

The term "walk off" should only be used when a game ends with the final batter hitting a game-ending (and game-winning) home run. Broadcasters now tend to use the term to describe any game-ending (and game-winning) hit be it a single, double, triple or home run.

Dennis Eckersley (the great relief pitcher) is credited with first using the term "walk off" as a way to describe a game that ends abruptly with the final batter hitting a clutch game-winning home run. He used the term to describe how the pitcher who gave up the game-ending (and game-winning) home run will now have nothing else to do than "walk off" the field in defeat.

So, this may or may not be accurate, but I am sticking to it.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Dennis Eckersley (the great relief pitcher) is credited with first using the term "walk off" as a way to describe a game that ends abruptly with the final batter hitting a clutch game-winning home run. He used the term to describe how the pitcher who gave up the game-ending (and game-winning) home run will now have nothing else to do than "walk off" the field in defeat.[/i]

So, this may or may not be accurate, but I am sticking to it.
Now that makes sense!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

If you saw the Angels vs Red Sox game last night than you saw a perfect example of a "Walk off Hit" Boston scored in the bottom of the 9th to beat LA to win the Division Championship. It was a very exciting ending. Nothing better than a "Walk-Off" win.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.