New York Knicks New Star

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
Don't forget the bench on the 69-70 team. How about the backup center Nate Bowman, and Mike Riordan, Dave Stallworth, and Cazzie Russell. I think it was the year before when Stallworth had the heart trouble (?)
Nice! I'm ashamed to put on my U of M hoodie for forgetting about Cazzie Russell. So long ago, but I sure do remember Stawllworths heart issues.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Nice! I'm ashamed to put on my U of M hoodie for forgetting about Cazzie Russell. So long ago, but I sure do remember Stawllworths heart issues.
What a team that was ! The best collection of outside shooters around, and real unselfish team players.

The team that went to the finals in 72 and won in 73 wasn't too shabby either, with Jerry Lucas playing center with that shotput style.

They did exceptionally well, especially having a small man in the middle, compared to Chamberlain and A-J.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
I have found it difficult to watch a Knicks game since the glory days of Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Bill Bradley,
Dave Debusschere, Earl the Pearl, Phil Jackson, and Dick Barnett. Let's face it, it's been years of embarrassment. But, they have a player named Jeremy Lin who has captured the hearts of New Yorkers. He is a graduate of Harvard, and the only reason he got a chance to play has been injuries to other players. He has played 4 games and has been outstanding in each one, and the knicks have won them all. Last night he put up 38 points against Koby and the Lakers. He is going to be a very exciting star and just may get me watching NBA basketball again.
Be still my heart...can this be true? To watch the Knicks again after all these years.

I was a big fan of the Knicks, back a long time ago.

Grew up on Brooklyn CYO Basketball. As a Kearney girl cheered for St. Augustine and watched Lew Alcinder play for Power Memorial. Who knew he would go on to become Kareem Abdul Jabar?

Watched the Knicks during the glory days, actually met Willis Reed at a company function...sports figures were much more approachable then. In later years lived in the same town as Dave Debusschere and rode to work with him on the LIRR some days, nice guy.

That was a fun walk down memory lane, thanks for listening,

Last edited by Whalen; 02-12-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Watched the Knicks during the glory days, actually met Willis Reed at a company function...sports figures were much more approachable then. In later years lived in the same town as Dave Debusschere and rode to work with him on the LIRR some days, nice guy.
I worked for NY Telephone in Garden City, and had a friend at work who was a personal friend of Dave and Geri Debusschere. When he found out what a Knick fan I was, he introduced me to Dave. I agree - what a nice man !

So sorry that he's gone now.

(There are two "B"s in Jabbar...... (just kidding)

Also had the good fortune to run into Walt Frazier in a bar outside the Garden, as well as Luther Rackley on another occasion. Rackley (six foot ten) was HUGE ! What memories !!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

I say that Jeremy Lin is doing a great job just for resurrecting everyone's fond memories of those great games at the garden.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I say that Jeremy Lin is doing a great job just for resurrecting everyone's fond memories of those great games at the garden.
Great games at the Garden - like May 8, 1970 - Lakers/Knicks Game 7. Willis Reed limping onto the court, and warming up.

How about the previous games where Dave DeB was playing Chamberlain !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.