Golf cart repair

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Default Golf cart repair

Everything seems to be breaking down at once! I have "white stuff" underneath my golf cart---I am ASSUMING that it might be acid from a leaking battery?
Anyone have a recommendation of someone who WON'T take advantage of my ignorance --and will just tell me what I need to do to stop the "white stuff"??
The golf cart is running fine....

Thanks,
Lynn Fitzgerald
Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

If you over filled the batteries with water and then put them on a charger, the water in the batteries heated up due to the charging (normal) and bubbled over. If you check the batteries and noticed that some cells are bone dry, you may have a crack in the outer housing that caused the water or acid to leak out. If that is the case, the battery is junk and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Default Battery service

If you use the search feature (above in the blue band) and type in Battery Boys, you will get a large number of forum threads about batteries. There are others but this site will only let you give info concerning those who advertise here, which is understandable. You can get their number from some of those threads.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Default Golf cart battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
If you over filled the batteries with water and then put them on a charger, the water in the batteries heated up due to the charging (normal) and bubbled over. If you check the batteries and noticed that some cells are bone dry, you may have a crack in the outer housing that caused the water or acid to leak out. If that is the case, the battery is junk and needs to be replaced.

THANK YOU---none of them have ever been bone dry....SO, hopefully, you are right! How do I know for SURE??

Lynn
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 AM

You are overfilling the battery's. Fill just to the
"ring" (a narrowing about 1 inch from the top).
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Only fill when fully charged.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

If you want a golf cart technician to look at it call Todd Casey Golf Cart Repairs. Todd's phone number is 352-256-2068. I have not used him but he comes highly recommended from a good friend who rents golf carts and Todd services all his carts. When I need a repair, Todd is the one I'm going to call.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regor View Post
you are overfilling the battery's. Fill just to the
"ring" (a narrowing about 1 inch from the top).
thank you!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy View Post
THANK YOU---none of them have ever been bone dry....SO, hopefully, you are right! How do I know for SURE??

Lynn
I sent you a PM with a person who will understand issue and not sell you anything unless it is needed.

How do you know what is wrong for sure?

It is hard to say. It is possible you have a leaky battery, a battery that is overfilled, a bad battery or charger overcharging the pack. The last two are less likely.

If you are comfortable with it open the batteries up and look at the level of water in each cell.

If any are filled to the bottom of the vent well (see picture in link below) or higher, they are likely overfilled and will boil over for a bit for a bit.

I keep the cells filled to about 1/4 inch below the vent well. Here is a great link from a great site to educate anyone on batteries:

Trojan Battery Company

Look at your water levels as compared to the pictures in the link above. I suspect your batteries are like the ones in the left picture.

In addition get your self a mat to park on. If it really is acid on your floor it should stain the cement a rust color.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Thank you SO much...
Yes, I have been over-filling--as I try to fill to the tippy top! I don't use the golf cart, either...so, that may make a difference! But, I am trying to sell my home FSBO--and if someone wants the golf-cart in the sale--then I want to be sure that I'm not selling them something that will defective!

THANKS...you guys are the best---
Lynn
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Sage
Default Clean up

If this acid overflow has happened to your cart you need to do one more thing to prevent another issue. Acid and cart frames do not go well together. In fact if you have a cart like mine with an aluminum frame the acid and aluminum will turn into this white stuff that is so hard you may need a chisel to get it off. If this has happened you may need to hire someone unless you are comfortable puling the batteries, washing everything and putting them back.... big/heavy job...

Hopefully This may not have happened yet.

Someone needs to clean the cart and battery tray/rails. I have used this stuff in the past as it is easier than baking soda IMO:
Walmart.com: NOCO 14oz Battery Cleaner and Acid Detector: Automotive

Do this on the grass, not your driveway or street as the acid will stain. It will not hurt the grass.

Spray the can or three all over the sides of batteries and tray/rails. It will turn pink when it finds acid. Be careful to not spray too much on top of battery as you would hate for it to get into battery.

Then you simply wash off with a hose set on a gentle spray.

It is a pain in the butt, but letting acid sit on the frame may be a bigger pain in the butt later.....
Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
If this acid overflow has happened to your cart you need to do one more thing to prevent another issue. Acid and cart frames do not go well together. In fact if you have a cart like mine with an aluminum frame the acid and aluminum will turn into this white stuff that is so hard you may need a chisel to get it off. If this has happened you may need to hire someone unless you are comfortable puling the batteries, washing everything and putting them back.... big/heavy job...

Hopefully This may not have happened yet.

Someone needs to clean the cart and battery tray/rails. I have used this stuff in the past as it is easier than baking soda IMO:
Walmart.com: NOCO 14oz Battery Cleaner and Acid Detector: Automotive

Do this on the grass, not your driveway or street as the acid will stain. It will not hurt the grass.

Spray the can or three all over the sides of batteries and tray/rails. It will turn pink when it finds acid. Be careful to not spray too much on top of battery as you would hate for it to get into battery.

Then you simply wash off with a hose set on a gentle spray.

It is a pain in the butt, but letting acid sit on the frame may be a bigger pain in the butt later.....
Well, now I'm being told by the last person who borrowed the cart--that one of the batteries looked like it was "swelling"? Ever heard of that?
Thank so much for your help..
Lynn
Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, now I'm being told by the last person who borrowed the cart--that one of the batteries looked like it was "swelling"? Ever heard of that?
Lynn
As batteries age, they swell or bulge a little bit in the middle. That fact by itself does not mean there is an issue.

Funny thing, the same thing has happened to my waistline
Old 04-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
As batteries age, they swell or bulge a little bit in the middle. That fact by itself does not mean there is an issue.

Funny thing, the same thing has happened to my waistline
Same with mine....
I guess I SHOULD get it checked...just don't want to pay dearly for it! I am trying to sell my home--FSBO--and figure that someone will want the golf-cart in the transaction. I just want to FEEL good about saying that it is in "working order" as is.....

THANKS!
Lynn
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Lynn
The bulging is caused by gassing. This is caused by overcharging or by a short circuit inside the battery. The acid inside the battery is turned to gas and it expands the sides of the battery.

long story just replace the bad one(s)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.